Thinking about a ZL1, but why are they soo.. slow?

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I’m sarcasming.

I do like hellcats a lot though. I like the zl1’s and cts-v’s a lot too.
I got you. I was goofing around as well. I like a wide range of vehicles. The Hellcats are nice. They helped keep the modern hp wars going. The ZL1 just happens to fit my tastes and needs. It will be interesting if Ford ever gets back in the game with the GT500.

blk02edge

Established Member
Literally says no vipers, corvettes, supercharged s550s.

Yet all have been suggested.

Wtf is going on lol
Well I suggested it thinking they had decent warranty options that op may not have known about but I guess not. I just remember a few dealers offering the 700hp package with a 3yr 60k or something like that. If that were true coupled with a pp2... Damn..

And considering OP left us with literally one option what do you expect

Adower

Established Member
I'm window-shopping for a replacement for my '04 Cobra to do street and roadcourse duty. No solid-axle cars, so GT500s are out. Needs to be factory supercharged, so '15+ GT and GT350 are out. Needs to have a back seat, so the Vette and Viper are out. Which pretty much leaves the Camaro ZL1.

The ZL1 is very impressive around a roadcouse, doing extremely well in Car & Driver's Lightning Lap. But most media / magazine tests show the ZL1 doing the 1/4 in the high 11s at low 120s. That's what pullied Cobras are supposed to run. Mine's got a (poorly tuned) TVS on it so it ought to be even quicker than that. So, I'm hesitant to go spending $50K+ on a car that might be slower (on the street) than my Cobra.

What do you guys think? How's a street-driven ZL1 going to feel, power-wise, compared to a VMPed Cobra?
Why not look for an early year gtr ? I know it’s not supercharged but does come with fi from the factory. Has a back seat as well.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
The A10 ZL1 is the one you want. Stock on stock tires 11.2 @ 125. Rips Vettes and Porsches on the road course.

Edit - These are my videos of my car. I have owned a 2004 Cobra since 2004. The ZL1 Camaro isn't perfect, but it it is perfect for your desires. My ZL1 has totally lit the "car-guy" fire again. It is fantastic to beat the crap out of a reliable and fast car at the track and then drive it to work on Monday. Mopar's are one-trick ponies. Ford is sleeping at the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
This VMP Cobra couldn’t hang on the road course. The ZL1 is 14 years newer. Not like it should.
e42f1c6248ff995ee40aa41cbec45c99.jpg

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
OP to his terminator be like

The motorola razor was an awesome phone for its time but somehow I think an Iphone is better in every imaginable way. Ditto for terminator vs ZL1.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
OP to his terminator be like

The motorola razor was an awesome phone for its time but somehow I think an Iphone is better in every imaginable way. Ditto for terminator vs ZL1.

I drove both today.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
Why not a cts-v wagon?? It's got the handling with the magnetic ride, the supercharger, and ample interior space. I had an srt8 magnum after my 03 cobra and sold it to get my 12 gt500. I definitely miss the comfort and ease of daily driving from the srt8 and I would imagine the v wagon does everything better than the magnum.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
It's gotta be factory supercharged with enough cooling that I can go lapping on the roadcourse without heat being a major issue. No aftermarket-supercharged car can fill that role.

No heat issues, by the way. Factory brakes and pads are fade free after a brake fluid change to Castrol SRF.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
I read somewhere the gen 6 SS 1LE is faster on the track than the 5 gen z28. And you get AC to boot. I guess OP should be looking at mustang PP2 then too.

5th Gen Camaros are just too heavy. I significantly out paced a Hennessey Z28 with a built LS7 at the track.

snakecharmer

Established Member
The A10 ZL1 is the one you want. Stock on stock tires 11.2 @ 125. Rips Vettes and Porsches on the road course.

Edit - These are my videos of my car. I have owned a 2004 Cobra since 2004. The ZL1 Camaro isn't perfect, but it it is perfect for your desires. My ZL1 has totally lit the "car-guy" fire again. It is fantastic to beat the crap out of a reliable and fast car at the track and then drive it to work on Monday. Mopar's are one-trick ponies. Ford is sleeping at the wheel.

Beautiful car. I have the same combo. You are spot on with the A10. I test drove both. I'm a die-hard manual junkie, but it was impossible to deny that the car is much faster with the A10.

Users who are viewing this thread