Thinking about a GT500

BigMikeUGA

REPUBLICAN
Established Member
First post. I'm a car and motorcycle nut job. Grew up a Chebby guy but have owned more Fords. I'm thinking about buying a new or used GT500 convertible.

Currently driving an '09 Jeep Rubicon, '02 Harley Road King, and have a gorgeous '65 F250 (352 big block).

I've done a lot of Googling on the interwebs and can't find a GT500 comparison sheet listing specs year to year. Anyone got any pointers?

BigMikeUGA

REPUBLICAN
Established Member
if you are not going to mod it--buy the newest you can
if you are going to mod it- buy the 2007 :)

That's usually the way it goes. Not sure of my plans.

Is there a consolidated spec sheet showing each year and what changed?

Last edited:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
First post. I'm a car and motorcycle nut job. Grew up a Chebby guy but have owned more Fords. I'm thinking about buying a new or used GT500 convertible.

Currently driving an '09 Jeep Rubicon, '02 Harley Road King, and have a gorgeous '65 F250 (352 big block).

I've done a lot of Googling on the interwebs and can't find a GT500 comparison sheet listing specs year to year. Anyone got any pointers?

I'm pretty sure if you google this you'll find the info. I think it was on Team Shelby I saw the spec sheets for all the years

g/l

CompO_Eric

Arch Enemy of the Prius
Established Member
Buy a 2009 if you want the old body style, those ones didn't have clutch problems. Or find a 2007-2008 and confirm that it's been swapped.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Buy a 2009 if you want the old body style, those ones didn't have clutch problems. Or find a 2007-2008 and confirm that it's been swapped.

i just got an 07 and its out of warranty. how common is the clutch problem? most cars? some cars? all cars? mine feels fine but its still stock. just going to add a cai, pulley and tune.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
To me, an important thing was the knock sensors which first appeared in 2010. That was the best year for me as ot gives the nicer body style and still the cheaper iron block. It may be 100lbs heavier, but a built iron block is only $2800, and I van go aluminum if I want. Plus, I had to have grabber blue.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
If you go new the main difference being the 2010 iron block vs 2011 aluminum block. I bought a new one to get the satisfaction of doing my own mods, building the car I want. If your going used there are some low mileage modded monsters for even a little cheaper. I wouldnn't be too concerned about the clutch as you will probably end up replacing it eventually anyway. Look for the 1-2 shift grind in the new ones before buying that would be a major pain, GL.

--------
Established Member
To me...buy older and make it yours...that's half the fun owning one....the mods

601500.jpg

tommy s

Established Member
I love my 07 , love the body style and inside better than '10 and up . Just slap a McLeod rxt clutch if ever a problem with cluch arises .

COBRA32

Established Member
I would go with the 11 and up GT500 they drive and handle so much better than the early models and not to mention are faster in stock trim. My 2012 is allot better than my 2009 was, interior is ten times the 2009 was and the 2012's Recaro's are the best seats ever put in a Mustang. Do not get me wrong I loved my 2009 GT500 but it holds no candle to the 12 in anyway. Looks as they say is in the eye of the beholder and I like both body styles. The newer GT500's 11 up ride better, drive better, exhaust sounds better, no need for aftermarket exhaust IMHO, are more aerodynamic, have nicer interior and also lightier. They just feel better if you can afford the new and like the looks go for the new one you will be glad you did. I have owned every year and the 12 is the best so far just love it.

Last edited:

BigMikeUGA

REPUBLICAN
Established Member
Convertible...you know that dont have much of a lid on it ;)

Huh? :dw:

Went down to the local dealer today in the '65 but they didn't have any GT500's. I looked at some Mustang GT 6sp convertibles. Prices are around $45k.

I'd probably rather have a used GT500 but the new GT's are pretty nasty. I've never had an automatic performance car and wouldn't consider a new GT auto because you can't get the Brembos.

Whatever I get it will be a daily driver and I'll run the wheels off of it. Not planning to keep it pristine for someone else down the road. It will still look gorgeous in 5 years but could care less about the miles.

The '65

65done006.gif

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
I'm a favorite of the 11's on up. Nothing like the EPAS and sync in the 11s. Everyone has a preference but if your not going to mod heavy then why not the 11. Most are pushing over 700 with no problems and get there easier. Don't forget the cams are different in the 11's compared to previous years. If your not going to mod go 11 and up, if you are going to mod and have the money go 11 and up. Want an already modded one just check around. A lot of heavily modded ones going pretty cheap. Nothing like letting someone else take the initial hit.

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
id buy a 10+ cause of interior upgrades and the 11+ handle better with aluminum block and svtpp.

Users who are viewing this thread