Thinkin of buying a bike!

DrYeRLiNt

Horse From Hell
Established Member
Well, I was either going to save up for a new ninja 250R or not get a bike, but then I came across what might be a good deal. I am wanting some opinions.

I'm not sure of the year (almost definitely less than 7 years old) Ninja 250 with ~8,500 miles on it. This chick I work with has it and drives it every day. She wants $1,200 for it.

It's definitely been dropped before, but the damage is only to the plastic. It starts up quickly and sounds like it runs fine.

What should I look for? Anything I should be wary of?

AMNick

250=girls bike

Obviously you never road a Ninja 250r. Its the best gateway bike to get into sport bike riding hands down. Its fun, fast, has extremely great handling, and has no problem keeping up on the highway. Its not going to have the brutal straight line acceleration of the 600+cc class bikes, but it'll easily and quickly take you up to around 100mph, and has plenty of power to learn proper riding technique, and have fun without getting you into too much trouble.

DrYeRLiNt - If you're getting it used, take someone experienced with you to test ride it, or have it checked out by a shop. The 250r is a pretty durable bike, but if it has had a lot of 1st time bike owners, it has probably seen a good deal of drops and possibly a lack of regular maintenance. Ask for the maintenance logs if they have them.

97cobra1

Established Member
I most definitely agree, but $1200 <---> $4200

If Kawasaki actually did real financing not that credit card bullshit I would finance one.

If the dealership you went to only offers the go green credit card... run way very very fast. Any dealer worth anything will have other financing options available. Did you tell them you only wanted to go through a bank/credit union?

Seraphus

I R ANDROID LEG!
Established Member
i'd say get the older one. Ride it for 6-8 months and then you can step up to something better.But i applaud you for doing it the right way and starting small. The squids that'll say you need bigger CC's to be manly are the pussies afraid to do anything but go inna straight line, don't mind them.

NOXCUSES

Z0SICK
Established Member
And you went to the track how many times with it?

I didnt feel like doing all the things necessary to make it track legal. Not sure how this matters, a 250 is not as fast as newer 600 sports bike. I was trying to make a joke with the ='s like everyone else. Aparently people are getting all butt hurt. If that is the bike he wants fine, but I have my own opinion.

Dusten

Established Member
And you went to the track how many times with it?

i dont really see how this matters? I've been riding for 7 years, logged 10's of thousands of miles, i've ridden all cc's of sport bikes, yet never once have i been to a track. i commute, and i ride the back roads alot. i have no desire to track my bikes.

DirtyD916

SVT Based God
Established Member
buy the bike!!! Dont look at the damage as something to consider as a downside. If this is your first bike there is a 90% chance that you will drop it within the first 6 months. As long as the bike rides straight and is mechanically sound, get it. Plus you cant beat getting 60mpg and having to never really worry about parking.

BLUBLLS

I didnt feel like doing all the things necessary to make it track legal. Not sure how this matters, a 250 is not as fast as newer 600 sports bike. I was trying to make a joke with the ='s like everyone else. Aparently people are getting all butt hurt. If that is the bike he wants fine, but I have my own opinion.

Point is he wants a street bike. What is wrong with a 250? Why is it a girls bike?

You bought a track bike for the street, and never even used it for it's intended purpose. Who cares. A 250 is not a girls bike. Besides, it will outrun most harleys and cruisers.

So, are you saying Harley's and cruisers are girls bikes?

Users who are viewing this thread