Think she may be hurt

TheBorkinator

Established Member
Took a road trip to Atlanta this weekend and the car had a few hiccups. On the way there I go to roll into third but when I mash the gas it's not giving me anything. RPMs were in the right spot and when I hit the throttle the RPMs very slowly rose but the car was struggling. I normally don't hear any blowoff under load but during this incident the blowoff valve was pretty loud. I gave it a little bit and tried it again and she did fine like she always does.

On the way back this happened again twice back to back. I was still about 300 miles from home at that point so I just stuck the cruise at 65 and babied her home. Everything was normal under regular driving conditions. Once I got close to home I gave it another shot to see if I could maybe see what was going on. This time it accelerated hard until I got to around 5800 RPM then it started breaking up so I shut it down. Only gauge I have is air/fuel at that was right around 10.0 during my pulls.

I'm on night shift and won't be able to go to a shop or do anything for a good two weeks. I know I'm going to be stressing over it until then so does anyone know what it may possibly be? Just want to know if I'm screwed or not.

noldevin

Established Member
I wouldn't jump the gun and panic just yet. It could be something as simple as bad gas, bad spark plug, etc.
However, I would avoid driving the car as much as you can until you do figure out what it is. If it is hurt, I doubt you want to finish it off and make things more expensive for yourself.
I'd suggest doing a datalog and see what it looks like.

Zemedici

Established Member
10.0 is pretty fat. But as stated above just drive the car easy until you can get it diagnosed, and do not go into boost.

If the issues get worse, park it. Not worth risking more damage.

TheBorkinator

Established Member
Thanks for the responses. I believe at WOT it's generally closer to 11.0

When I start datalogging should I still take it easy or go into boost and get it to happen again?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I wouldn't jump the gun and say shes hurt just yet. I would first swap out the plugs with some fresh ones. Running that rich you will foul plugs really fast. If that fixes the problem I would have your tune looked and and lean it out some before you keep fouling plugs or even washing out your rings as a worse case scenario.

If you have a compression tester knock out a compression check as well since you will already have the plugs pulled. Id imagine if she is hurt when you pull the plugs you will more than likely be able to tell just from looking at the plugs.

noldevin

Established Member
if he had a vacuum leak it should be leaning out, that car is pig rich and then some.
True, but a boost leak or exhaust leak in the wrong place could make it run rich.
Could also be a bad o2 sensor.
I'd send a log to your tuner before anything, they should be able to point you in the right direction of where to look first.

Users who are viewing this thread