Think my alternator is going out

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
My battery light is intermittently coming on, which is a concern. I suspect my alternator is failing.

What is the part number of the alternator? I found this on ebay and it says it is for a Cobra, but there is some year overlap there so it could be for a 2001 Cobra, not a 2003 Cobra.

NEW Alternator Ford Mustang GT COBRA 200 AMP 01-03 2004 : eBay Motors (item 130377288274 end time May-22-10 21:55:27 PDT)

Does anyone know anything about these alternators?

Considering Jamie@Start-N-Charge, too, but I'm not sure of his status since his shop burned down.

lxhatch302

Established Member
if the alt pictured in the add is the one you get, its the wrong alt...

the part number for oreillys is 01-3748 if you want to get one from them....

03snakeminated

Established Member
My battery light is intermittently coming on, which is a concern. I suspect my alternator is failing.

What is the part number of the alternator? I found this on ebay and it says it is for a Cobra, but there is some year overlap there so it could be for a 2001 Cobra, not a 2003 Cobra.

NEW Alternator Ford Mustang GT COBRA 200 AMP 01-03 2004 : eBay Motors (item 130377288274 end time May-22-10 21:55:27 PDT)

Does anyone know anything about these alternators?

Considering Jamie@Start-N-Charge, too, but I'm not sure of his status since his shop burned down.
y'up thats an indication its going out, for best results either buy new oem from ford or the start-n-charge

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
I'm checking with the seller to see what this alternator really is (rebuilt Ford unit, or what).

I also emailed Jamie, or at least I hope I did ([email protected]). Can anyone confirm that is correct?

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I had mine rebuilt by a local shop yesterday for 75 plus tax. Also the guy said it looked like it was getting hot. When I told him where it was located on the engine. He said me it might be worth it to run a cooling duct too it so the alternator got some fresh air.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
I'm checking with the seller to see what this alternator really is (rebuilt Ford unit, or what).

I also emailed Jamie, or at least I hope I did ([email protected]). Can anyone confirm that is correct?

Not sure about the email but here is his phone number. Right from Cobra Bobs web site. Startncharge (509)447-0289

Last edited:

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
I'll send you a PM here in a minute but wanted to add my .02 cents in this thread. I think PA got a bad rap when these cars were newer. However, as these cars get older, it's becoming painfully obvious that there is not a single brand of 03-04 Cobra alternators that do not fail. All the rebuilds from the parts houses fail. The OEM new and rebuilds fail. PA Performance alts fail. Even the start and charge alts have failed if you look around on this forum and ModFords. I even had a $200 rebuild job from a very reputable local alt shop fail after 2k miles. My thought was when buying this alt is if I'm going to buy one that will eventually fail, I might as well get one with a lifetime warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread