think i found my problem

badjuicedgt

Established Member
so I have had my car since October and have had it to the track a couple time and what the car dynode and what its run at the track doesn't match up. I could always feel what I thought was a miss and the last time at the track I could feel it especially at idle. So I decided to pull my plugs and change them,and when I got to the 3rd plug back on drivers side as soon as I pulled the coil and boot I knew I had found the problem or part of the problem. The bottom of the boots was brown from it misfiring out the side, so I have heard mixed stories about the msd cop's but I had a brand new full set for the car so I started putting those in the car along with the new plugs. So I am going to finish the car up tomorrow and then next weekend we will be in milan mich. for the ford race up there and hopefully I gain what I lost. I wouldn't be surprised if I find another one of the boots that was misfiring. I just hope the msd cop's work and I don't have problems, no use in just letting them sit in the box and not using them.

Plus I cant wait to go back to the track since I just bought a new trailer to haul the car in. I got a new 24 ft enclosed trailer with v nose. I had been renting a trailer to take the car to the track everytime we went and just this year we have rented a trailer 8 times. The last time I found a place that rented enclosed trailers cheaper than uhaul rents theirs for,the one we got was a 20 ft and after that we decided to go with a 24 so we can fit a golf cart in the front and when I decide to buy a new dragster it will fit in the trailer too.

Last edited:

badjuicedgt

Established Member
I finished changing all the plugs and all the coils, all the plugs came out very easy and I did find 2 maybe 3 of the plug boots that looked brown on the ends like they were misfiring. So after I put it all back together I went to start it and it fired right up runs nice and smooth. The other thing I noticed is before my air fuel guage would jump all over the place at idle, now its nice and smooth and steady so I'm guessing with the plugs misfiring it was throwing off the air/fuel. So now next weekend we will have the car back at the track and then the last weekend of the month we will be at Norwalk for nmca. Hopefully the car is now back at 100 percent only problem now is I'm back to trying to get the car to hook, oh well I would rather have that problem than the car not running right.

No one has made a better ignition coil than the oem ones for these cars.

Trust me. Been there already when the WeaponX COPS were considered an upgrade.

The Motorcraft/Ford Racing COPs are outstanding. Even for the more radical hp setups exceeding 500hp.

oldmodman

Established Member
With your intermittent rich A/F that stopped with the new coils it sure does sound like a bad coil. I bet the difference in engine feel was immediate :thumbsup:

I love it when a problem (or two) gets fixed with one single repair.

Users who are viewing this thread