Things to do in Philly? Suggestions?

SVT10TH#1721

Established Member
Me and the Lady are headed to Philly for a week and I wanted some input from you guys that have been (live there) on things to do, places to eat the best Philly cheese steak at or just eat, and places to check out. We have the usual things like Museums down But, What are some other things you guy's recommend checking out? Thanks for any input. :banana: :pepper:

whiplash306

Established Member
The better question might be, "what is there NOT to do in Philly?" I don't live there, but I've been there a couple times and am now very familiar with the down town, central city Philly area and a bit of the outlying areas as well. But as for most, the vast majority of your time will be spent in the central city area....that's where the largest portion of your historical sight-seeing as well as all the AMAZING eateries, people watching in parks, Rocky filming spots, etc, etc. will be. That's also the cleaner, and somewhat safer area of Philly should you be wandering around at night (...and the night life is GREAT!)

Right off the top of my head is all the touristy, historical type places:
1. Independence Hall (Declaration of Independence);
2. Betsy Ross house (stitched the 1st American Flag);
3. Elfreth's Alley (nation's oldest residential street);
4. Liberty Bell;
5. Christ Church (founded in 1695...sit where Ben Franklin, George Washington, Betsy Ross, etc sat when they attended);
6. Christ's Church Burial Ground (lots of the original framers of our constitution buried there);
7. Penn's Landing (story dates back to William Penn in 1682);
8. Eastern State Penitentiary (oldest prison in the US 1829. Capone's cell is there! The tour is great...a little creepy);
9. Philadelphia City Hall (too, too cool...! LOTS of history)
10. Masonic Grand Lodge Temple (I believe it might be the oldest still in existence)

There's honestly TONS more history, but those will keep you busy for a bit and are VERY worthy of visiting and touring.

As for just sight-seeing, entertainment and eateries.....well, I guess that's a personal preference. But a few I would suggest a few places just for their novelty.

1. Pat's & Geno's Cheesesteaks...! It would be against the law, sacrilegious and further more, just un-American to not feast on AT LEAST one Cheesesteak while you're in Philly. Take your pick of which restaurant you want to try. They're both GREAT. My wife and I did Pat's, just because he's considered the "originator of the cheesesteak" and Stallone went there (and I'm the biggest Rocky fan EVER). But the two places are literally catty-corner to one another, almost like dueling restaurants...really a fun deal. You'll wanna go in the evening so you can appreciate the lines (which is a necessary hazing of sorts...ha) and all the crazy lights at Geno's.

2. Italian Market...! It's best seen appreciated on the weekends. It's honestly not much to necessarily "look at", but the food is amazing, the history is really cool and the prices are UN-FRIGGIN-BELIEVABLE!!! Plus, this is where Rocky ran through the streets during his training en route to the Rocky Steps, which would actually be quite a LONG jog...!

3. Reading Terminal Market...! It's an old train station turned into a HUGE, indoors type hodgepodge of eateries, little booth-type markets and more. Very neat place to visit when you're hot and hungry.

4. TONS and TONS of museums....from art museums to natural history and more.

5. Continental Restaurant...! Corner of 2nd and Market St. MAKE SURE to check out the bathrooms with the see through mirrors. It's great on Friday and Saturday nights to watch all the drunk guys and ladies in the bathroom primping in front of the mirror, the girls adjusting their bewbies, etc. BIG FUN. The shag carpet room with the huge stuffed animals that you sit on in almost complete darkness is a trip too. Lots of fun and great drinks.

6. Philadelphia Zoo...! It's the oldest zoo in America, still in great condition and yet another filming site for the Rocky movies where Rocky proposed to Adrian in Rocky II (ha).

7. Movie Locations Guide: Rocky Balboa Filming Locations

8. Rocky Steps and R. Balboa statue. It's great to watch everyone runnin' up and down the stairs. People literally come from all over the world to tour Philly and they all know who Rocky is. You'll see hoards of people runnin' the stairs....groups of 'em. Lots of fun....

Man, I could go on and on. You could say I'm a fan of Philly. Make sure to get some pretzels and hot dogs from street vendors. Also, if you haven't yet got a place to stay in Philly, may I suggest The Windsor Suites Downtown Philadelphia Hotels- The Windsor Suites- Center City Philadelphia Hotel That's where we stay and it is DIRECTLY centered in down town, central city Philly within walking distance of EVERYTHING I just wrote about....EVERYTHING. Ask for a room that overlooks Ben Franklin Blvd with a balcony. The rooms are huge, they serve a continental bkfst and there's a small gym if you're interested. Shoot, if you like, a train ride from Philly to NYC (Manhattan) will take you an hour and a half and cost $90 round trip for you and your wife. My wife and I did it and LOVED it...big, big fun! Plus, NYC is amazing....! You'll catch the train out of Penn Station which is a brisk 15 min walk from the hotel.

Above all, carry your walking shoes...!!!!

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
I've never been but if I ever do go it'll be during football season and I'll go to the Linc and watch the birds.

EBBS_03_Cobra

Never satisfied
Established Member
One thing I would do, is check out Le Bec Fin. Very up scale, expensive restaurant. The restaurant is responsible for bringing a night life to the city, and it helped set the bar for in city dining. It will be closing next summer, and it will be an end of an era. My girl and I are big into restaurants, so we like going to nice places that have some history. I've never been, but I used to work in a French restaurant, and they were pretty much the standard you try to achieve. I'll get there before they close.

Other than that, stick to Geno's for a cheesesteak. Pat's is grimy, and Tony Luke's likes to ruin the rest of your night.

Go to a Phillies game.

Avoid the Duck Boats; yeah, I went there.

Love park - you can get your picture taken there as a couple (you'll have to ask a stranger most likely, so don't use a nice camera for it) like most do. My girl and I did it...

Boat House Row is pretty cool to see, especially at night time. Along there is a restaurant called The Water Works, another expensive, nice restaurant.

The Moshulu - Yet another expensive restaurant. Really nice Filet with crab meat on top....mmm....But it did come with a hefty price tag, lol

PureStang

Established Member
you must go to redding terminal market...its one of my favorite places to go when i travel to the city. i live about a half hour to 45 mins away from Philly. it's weird seeing Amish people from lancaster county (farming area) in the middle of the city lol

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
**** pats and **** genos. They are tourist places and their cheesesteaks suck ass. Tony Lukes on oregon avenue and Jims on South & 4th are where its at.

Also just explore south street/old city/society hill. Lots of shopping and stuff like that. Both of you will like it. I go down there quite often with friends of mine. Otherwise Ebbs_03 and Whiplash nailed it.

Also don't drive on the Schuylkill expressway from 8am-7pm.

Don't go into West Philadelphia off market and chestnut (West of University of Pennsylvania) and don't go too far north and off broad street (Towards Temple Uni.) You will see how philly has gotten some of its nicknames

Last edited:

MustangAddict

Established Member
**** pats and **** genos. They are tourist places and their cheesesteaks suck ass. Tony Lukes on oregon avenue and Jims on South & 4th are where its at.

Don't go into West Philadelphia off market and chestnut (West of University of Pennsylvania) and don't go too far north and off broad street (Towards Temple Uni.) You will see how philly has gotten some of its nicknames

This may be the best advice I've read so far, I'm a fan of Jim's personally but if you want to do the tourist thing and wait for an hour or more then go to pat's or genos.

And yea West Philly can get a little rough so unless you know where your going don't just venture off.

SVT10TH#1721

Established Member
As far as cheesesteaks go, Pats or Genos are the best! Tony Luke's is pretty good also.
Thanks I might try all three.

The better question might be, "what is there NOT to do in Philly?" I don't live there, but I've been there a couple times and am now very familiar with the down town, central city Philly area and a bit of the outlying areas as well. But as for most, the vast majority of your time will be spent in the central city area....that's where the largest portion of your historical sight-seeing as well as all the AMAZING eateries, people watching in parks, Rocky filming spots, etc, etc. will be. That's also the cleaner, and somewhat safer area of Philly should you be wandering around at night (...and the night life is GREAT!)

Right off the top of my head is all the touristy, historical type places:
1. Independence Hall (Declaration of Independence);
2. Betsy Ross house (stitched the 1st American Flag);
3. Elfreth's Alley (nation's oldest residential street);
4. Liberty Bell;
5. Christ Church (founded in 1695...sit where Ben Franklin, George Washington, Betsy Ross, etc sat when they attended);
6. Christ's Church Burial Ground (lots of the original framers of our constitution buried there);
7. Penn's Landing (story dates back to William Penn in 1682);
8. Eastern State Penitentiary (oldest prison in the US 1829. Capone's cell is there! The tour is great...a little creepy);
9. Philadelphia City Hall (too, too cool...! LOTS of history)
10. Masonic Grand Lodge Temple (I believe it might be the oldest still in existence)

There's honestly TONS more history, but those will keep you busy for a bit and are VERY worthy of visiting and touring.

As for just sight-seeing, entertainment and eateries.....well, I guess that's a personal preference. But a few I would suggest a few places just for their novelty.

1. Pat's & Geno's Cheesesteaks...! It would be against the law, sacrilegious and further more, just un-American to not feast on AT LEAST one Cheesesteak while you're in Philly. Take your pick of which restaurant you want to try. They're both GREAT. My wife and I did Pat's, just because he's considered the "originator of the cheesesteak" and Stallone went there (and I'm the biggest Rocky fan EVER). But the two places are literally catty-corner to one another, almost like dueling restaurants...really a fun deal. You'll wanna go in the evening so you can appreciate the lines (which is a necessary hazing of sorts...ha) and all the crazy lights at Geno's.

2. Italian Market...! It's best seen appreciated on the weekends. It's honestly not much to necessarily "look at", but the food is amazing, the history is really cool and the prices are UN-FRIGGIN-BELIEVABLE!!! Plus, this is where Rocky ran through the streets during his training en route to the Rocky Steps, which would actually be quite a LONG jog...!

3. Reading Terminal Market...! It's an old train station turned into a HUGE, indoors type hodgepodge of eateries, little booth-type markets and more. Very neat place to visit when you're hot and hungry.

4. TONS and TONS of museums....from art museums to natural history and more.

5. Continental Restaurant...! Corner of 2nd and Market St. MAKE SURE to check out the bathrooms with the see through mirrors. It's great on Friday and Saturday nights to watch all the drunk guys and ladies in the bathroom primping in front of the mirror, the girls adjusting their bewbies, etc. BIG FUN. The shag carpet room with the huge stuffed animals that you sit on in almost complete darkness is a trip too. Lots of fun and great drinks.

6. Philadelphia Zoo...! It's the oldest zoo in America, still in great condition and yet another filming site for the Rocky movies where Rocky proposed to Adrian in Rocky II (ha).

7. Movie Locations Guide: Rocky Balboa Filming Locations

8. Rocky Steps and R. Balboa statue. It's great to watch everyone runnin' up and down the stairs. People literally come from all over the world to tour Philly and they all know who Rocky is. You'll see hoards of people runnin' the stairs....groups of 'em. Lots of fun....

Man, I could go on and on. You could say I'm a fan of Philly. Make sure to get some pretzels and hot dogs from street vendors. Also, if you haven't yet got a place to stay in Philly, may I suggest The Windsor Suites Downtown Philadelphia Hotels- The Windsor Suites- Center City Philadelphia Hotel That's where we stay and it is DIRECTLY centered in down town, central city Philly within walking distance of EVERYTHING I just wrote about....EVERYTHING. Ask for a room that overlooks Ben Franklin Blvd with a balcony. The rooms are huge, they serve a continental bkfst and there's a small gym if you're interested. Shoot, if you like, a train ride from Philly to NYC (Manhattan) will take you an hour and a half and cost $90 round trip for you and your wife. My wife and I did it and LOVED it...big, big fun! Plus, NYC is amazing....! You'll catch the train out of Penn Station which is a brisk 15 min walk from the hotel.

Above all, carry your walking shoes...!!!!
Thanks Man You gave me a lot of great Ideas We will defiantly check most of these out. What places do you recommend for night life?

Jim's is better than Pat's or Gino's and WAAAAAAAAAAAY less touristy. You can find Jim's on South Street across from Condom Kingdom.
I will try it Thanks

One thing I would do, is check out Le Bec Fin. Very up scale, expensive restaurant. The restaurant is responsible for bringing a night life to the city, and it helped set the bar for in city dining. It will be closing next summer, and it will be an end of an era. My girl and I are big into restaurants, so we like going to nice places that have some history. I've never been, but I used to work in a French restaurant, and they were pretty much the standard you try to achieve. I'll get there before they close.

Other than that, stick to Geno's for a cheesesteak. Pat's is grimy, and Tony Luke's likes to ruin the rest of your night.

Go to a Phillies game.

Avoid the Duck Boats; yeah, I went there.

Love park - you can get your picture taken there as a couple (you'll have to ask a stranger most likely, so don't use a nice camera for it) like most do. My girl and I did it...

Boat House Row is pretty cool to see, especially at night time. Along there is a restaurant called The Water Works, another expensive, nice restaurant.

The Moshulu - Yet another expensive restaurant. Really nice Filet with crab meat on top....mmm....But it did come with a hefty price tag, lol
Thanks We are going to check out the Phillies when they play the Giants.

When in Philly my fiance and I go to Fogo De Chao...Locations*::*Fogo de Chao
Nice place, good eating, other than that maybe take in a Phillies game.
Thanks I might check that place out.
you must go to redding terminal market...its one of my favorite places to go when i travel to the city. i live about a half hour to 45 mins away from Philly. it's weird seeing Amish people from lancaster county (farming area) in the middle of the city lol
lol I'll be on the look out.

Also just explore south street/old city/society hill. Lots of shopping and stuff like that. Both of you will like it. I go down there quite often with friends of mine. Otherwise Ebbs_03 and Whiplash nailed it.

Also don't drive on the Schuylkill expressway from 8am-7pm.

Thanks for the heads up man.
This may be the best advice I've read so far, I'm a fan of Jim's personally but if you want to do the tourist thing and wait for an hour or more then go to pat's or genos.

And yea West Philly can get a little rough so unless you know where your going don't just venture off.

Thanks will do.

SSMOKE-U

Super Petrosexual
Established Member
Me and the Lady are headed to Philly for a week and I wanted some input from you guys that have been (live there) on things to do, places to eat the best Philly cheese steak at or just eat, and places to check out. We have the usual things like Museums down But, What are some other things you guy's recommend checking out? Thanks for any input. :banana: :pepper:

Take your wife to Max Brenner for dinner. If she likes chocolate, you won't be sorry for desert... ;-)

1500 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102-3523
(215) 344-8150

Users who are viewing this thread