Things to consider when swapping tires and going to a 35 series tire?

faztcobra

Established Member
Bit the bullet over the weekend and ordered some SVE Drifts. Only thing is, I didn't order the tire package. I figure I can piece it together and save a few $$. On the Brembo car, I have the stock 255/40 tires and on the Drifts, I'm considering 275/40s and 275/35s. I was leaning more towards the 275/40s, but by far the best deal I've found is through a guy in a local club of ours. However, through his shop (NTB), they supposedly only carry the 275/35s (Nitto 555). I'm curious with that being a lower profile tire that it will A. Throw my speedo off a bit. But this can be corrected through my SCT tuner right? B. Make the car ride a little rougher. And C. Make the fender gap a little bigger than the 40 series tires would. Is there anything else I'm missing and are all my concerns valid? As it is, I've narrowed my search down to the Nittos and likely the Hankook Ventus V12. I really wanted the Continental Extreme Contact DWs, but that increases the price significantly. Anyway, thanks for any insight you guys might be able to provide.

alex12gt

Established Member
I was between nitto and falken (fk452) and choose fallen because I didn't want anything under a 40 series and those tires took some serious abuse and they can be found for a good price

03machme

go on and mach me
Established Member
I have the drifts with the Nitto 275/35s on all 4 corners. Will it throw you speedo off? yes but only by a couple MPH at high speeds. I used a GPS app on my phone and I think I was Max 3mph off at like 80mph. But yes I believe you can fix that with your SCT. Will it make your fender gap bigger? YES. I did the wheels shortly before I lowered the car and it looked like a true 4x4 with the shorter tires and stock height. after installing my sportlines it looks great so if you plan on lowering the car or its already lowered don't worry about it. Is the ride worse. Not that I have noticed. you may feel a slight difference on big pot holes and railroad tracks etc, but normal driving you wont notice the difference. now with all that being said I will get 40 series tires when I need new tires if I keep these rims, mainly just to fill out the wheel gap a little better. hope that helps

Beernuts

Established Member
You can use this calculator to determine how much your speedo will be off:

Tire Size Calculator

I went with Hankook V12's in 275/35 and the ride is slightly more rough than stock.

faztcobra

Established Member
Do you plan on lowering the car?
My car is already lowered. I have the Eibach Prokit or whatever springs (Roush Dubs?) they had last year that a bunch of us got for like $125 off of Ebay.

I have the drifts with the Nitto 275/35s on all 4 corners. Will it throw you speedo off? yes but only by a couple MPH at high speeds. I used a GPS app on my phone and I think I was Max 3mph off at like 80mph. But yes I believe you can fix that with your SCT. Will it make your fender gap bigger? YES. I did the wheels shortly before I lowered the car and it looked like a true 4x4 with the shorter tires and stock height. after installing my sportlines it looks great so if you plan on lowering the car or its already lowered don't worry about it. Is the ride worse. Not that I have noticed. you may feel a slight difference on big pot holes and railroad tracks etc, but normal driving you wont notice the difference. now with all that being said I will get 40 series tires when I need new tires if I keep these rims, mainly just to fill out the wheel gap a little better. hope that helps
Thanks for the detailed response. Exactly what I wanted to know.

You can use this calculator to determine how much your speedo will be off:

Tire Size Calculator

I went with Hankook V12's in 275/35 and the ride is slightly more rough than stock.
Thanks, that'll come in handy.

I was close to going with the Hankooks, but Discount Tire wanted about $250 on top of the tires for mount/balance/swapping TPMS/etc. I couldn't pass up the deal the local hookup provided. (tires at 10% above cost and no other fees - I just wish they had more options for 19" tires)

Fun4me

Established Member
If you have potholes or crappy roads that extra 1" of sidewall will protect your rims. Ask me how I know.....

faztcobra

Established Member
If you have potholes or crappy roads that extra 1" of sidewall will protect your rims. Ask me how I know.....
Forgot about that. But the roads in DFW are mostly good. Downtown Dallas leaves something to be desired though. I'll have to take it easy down there the 2-3 days a week I drive my car to work.

Fun4me

Established Member
Forgot about that. But the roads in DFW are mostly good. Downtown Dallas leaves something to be desired though. I'll have to take it easy down there the 2-3 days a week I drive my car to work.
All it takes is one hole, not even that big........
Plus the taller sidewall will make your car look lower, because the wheel gap will be 1" less than the 35's. 275 40 19 is a perfect size for 9.5"rims.
I just switched to 18's w/ more sidewall and the car rides great.
You can even find some takeoff brembo tires for like $500 for a set.

acrbill

Established Member
The 275/40s look better and are a closer match to the overall factory sizes. I think 35s make it look like you are running a fancy space saver spare.

faztcobra

Established Member
I went ahead and went with the 35s. It doesn't look bad at all. I'll post up pics later. It was raining last night. So far, the ride is comparable to before, so no problems there. I just just need to get into my tuner and adjust for tire height.

Dave5.0

Established Member
I run a 275/35 on a highly modified suspension in upstate NY AWFUL roads. NEVER have had an issue. Been running 35 profile for over a year now and have hit nasty bumps on my 19 inch rims. It's no issue. A lot of people like the fat sidewall though especially for straight line. It's really the compound of the tire and the tread pattern which really matter the most. Go 35

Fun4me

Established Member
I run a 275/35 on a highly modified suspension in upstate NY AWFUL roads. NEVER have had an issue. Been running 35 profile for over a year now and have hit nasty bumps on my 19 inch rims. It's no issue. A lot of people like the fat sidewall though especially for straight line. It's really the compound of the tire and the tread pattern which really matter the most. Go 35

I thought the roads in upstate NY were nice. In Chicago the city will cut a huge square out where there was a pothole and leave it for a few weeks, so instead of hitting a plate size 2" pothole you're hitting a coffeetable sized 5" wall.:bash:

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
i thought the roads in upstate ny were nice. In chicago the city will cut a huge square out where there was a pothole and leave it for a few weeks, so instead of hitting a plate size 2" pothole you're hitting a coffeetable sized 5" wall.:bash:

lmao

Users who are viewing this thread