Things To Consider For Transmission Selection

Big Q

Established Member
Ok, planned this winter to swap my MT82 for a manual valve body TH400. Started doing a little research and I see all sorts of recommendations, TH400, 4L80E, 4R70W this is making my head spin lol... My 14GT is a street/strip car, see's very little interstate/highway time maybe 20 minutes if I'm heading to a car meet, car is a turbo car and on stock block so in the 650hp neighborhood till I forge the motor, it's a good weather driver only not my daily. How important is lock up vs non lockup, I'm no transmission expert. JPC seems to offer some complete packages which would make for an easy swap with the exception of the 4L80E.

OD doesn't seem to be a huge deal to me, I typically cruise around 3000-3500 just because I like hearing the car. I'll be running 28" DR's with whatever trans I choose so I'm also curious if my 3.31's will work or need swapped?

Last edited:

syclone50

Established Member
why not just use ford parts that bolt right up and work perfectly. The 6r80 is one hell of a transmission and will hold a ton of power. I did the conversion and it was the best thing I did to my car

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Anyone can throw a package together, and transmission's/ parts for swap's can be found for a lot cheaper then the main places. Stock engine just go 6r80, built block look for glide or th400.

Big Q

Established Member
If the 6R80 could be swapped for a reasonable price I'd consider it but with the electronics, programming and cost I was leaning towards one of the above mentioned options. Figured it would be an easier swap as well as hold more power down the line.

Last edited:

toomnymods

Established Member
have any 6r80's held any power above 1200 rwhp? just wondering if they have seen any low 8's yet? thats my main goal i'd like to be able to do this on a 6r80 built trans but something tells me this will be next to impossible, lol kinda thinking a Powerglide or Th400 will be my only option at my power level i want and still wanting to be a street car..

wile e coyote

Established Member
6r80 will hold 650rwhp all day long and will still allow you to cruise the car comfortably if the need arises.

4r70 can be built into a badass trans too, but the price goes up quickly and you will still need the electronics to run it

th400...............ive honestly never looked into.

If I ever swap in my car, im going 6r80 without a second thought.

Users who are viewing this thread