Thicker power/ground from fuel pumps to modified FPDM that is only 14ga?

cbehr

Established Member
Finally got around to installing 2x improved GT pumps with 12ga power/ground running outside the tank then connecting to a single 10ga that is running up to the FPDM. This last step doesn't make sense... If I connect to the RD/BK & BN/PK wire coming out of the my modified FPDM they are only a 14ga wires, doesn't this defeat the entire purpose of upgrading the wires to the pumps?

Attachments

• modified fpdm.JPG
    modified fpdm.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 49

Roush6018

Established Member
Now what is happening here is just fine. the pumps have larger than stock wires and the harness has larger than stock wires but when you attach the wires to the FPDM you are using the stock size wire (14ga) for a couple inches to the OEM connector.

the more AMPS and VOLTS you get at both pumps will be noticeable because you have about 2-3 feet of upgraded wire and only couple inches of stock wire. this short piece of wire will not have to work as hard to feed power to both of the pumps because of your wiring upgrades.

if you still have a problem, try to get a OEM connector for your FPDM and then De-Pin both the terminals that provide power and ground , see if the pin can be opened from the stock wire crimp and try to crimp a 12ga or 10ga wire , then see if it will fit back inside the OEM connector terminals. i do not recommend this, i would be just fine soldering and heat shrink to the factory 14ga wire.

cbehr

Established Member
Okay thanks for the input, I guess I figured short piece of 14ga would be way overworked and melt? I'll try this today, just surprised I never came across this being discussed when reading about people upgrading power/ground wires.

Users who are viewing this thread