These Rims Aren't "polished"!

Crusader

Established Member
This biggest disappointment in the car is that these rims are dull looking. My 01 Cobra had polished aluminum rims that looked almost like chrome. What's up with that, the brochure said aluminum polished! The first comment out of everyone is that my 01 rims were nicer looking. Am I the only one with dull aluminum rims and gray latex paint on the inner part of the rim???:cuss: :gt: :mj:

ZXnVS

Established Member
I remember reading in a magazine that they preferred the satin finish rims to the upcoming chrome wheels, and I thought they were crazy. Then I got my new Cobra, and I agree with them. The satin looks very nice, while the chrome would be a bit too flashy for my personal tastes.

KingKobra

Established Member
Then I got my new Cobra, and I agree with them. The satin looks very nice, while the chrome would be a bit too flashy for my personal tastes.

I said that same thing to my dealer... I said, "I like the satin better then the solid crhome."

He replied, "That's because you haven't seen this car with the chrome... I have, it's beautiful!"

I was like, okie, guess I'll wait till they actually come release them to the public. :)

silvercoffin

Established Member
machined aluminum??

I though the brochures said machined aluminum..

I like the fact that eventually we will have the opportunity to get a good deal on the chrome too!

KingKobra

Established Member
Broshure says, and I quote, "17x9 in., five-spoke, cast aluminum-alloy, machined surface, exposed lugs, optional chrome wheels available."

Guess, it's a little bit of everything:lol:

Dahubbster

Established Member
Still up in the air......Is the chrome toooo flashy......may have to keep both sets when the chrome comes in.........I hear variety IS the spice of life. Now if I could just get my spouse to believe that statement!!

silvercoffin

Established Member
hmmmm

Well by the time they actually have the chrome out, our aluminum wheels will be in need of replacing. I already have marks I cant get out of the aluminum and the surface seems to be real thin on the edges dont know if it was always that way or if the wheel cleaner i used Meguairs reg stuff was too harsh.

The wheel cleaner says not to use on untreated aluminum but I tried a little and it seemed fine. Going to switch to that less abrasive Meg. cleaner now....

I wasnt sure about chrome on yellow, but IM getting them and keeping both sets. Might use the chrome as car show wheels and the aluminum for everyday/racing use. Put some Nittos on the aluminum

StreetSnake

Established Member
Personally I think there is going to be a good market for our old rims for those that decide to go with the chrome, wherefore bringing the cost way down.:beer:

CWCobra

Established Member
My dealer said he could get rims chromed for $125 each. He does it to several of his in-stock models. Have to dismount and ship to Atlanta, though. Prolly take 10-14 days turn around. I'm thinking it over.
Later,
CW

Mowgli

Established Member
My personal opinion is that chrome without detail looks cheap.

These wheels, without surface detail like nuts or holes or crenulations, etc, look good with the satin type finish.

Thats my opinion.

Last edited:

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
CW,

Don't do that.... Wait for the chromes via the Ford offer this fall... Your SVT dealer can give you the details...

:beer:

KingKobra

Established Member
silvercoffin Posted: I already have marks I cant get out of the aluminum and the surface seems to be real thin on the edges dont know if it was always that way or if the wheel cleaner i used Meguairs reg stuff was too harsh.

I noticed that I see wear on the corners of the spokes, but I can't remember it was like that when I first got the car or not...

I clean the rims, inside and out, with a brush and spraying water, so I know it wasn't due to any harsh chemicals, etc.

:shrug:

silvercoffin

Established Member
yeah

Glad to hear someone lese noticeed the edges of the spokes that are not machined completely or polished or what ever. Glad I didnt do it....i think they came that way. You have to have your nose to the wheel to notice it though.

I ordered Ford Chrome Bulitts for my 01 GT and found all sorts of little defects in them. Drove tirerack crazy. They had to send me 6 wheels in the end so I could pick the best four. They had bubbles in the chrome! looked like it was wet but wasnt

Users who are viewing this thread