These are new

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm in the process of trying to set the monitors as my car is due for smog next month. While checking to make sure the Evap code wasn't coming back I found two other codes:

P1260- this is a PATS code saying its detected a theft situation. I don't have PATS turned off and the car drives fine.

P0602- Control Module Programming Error

Has anyone had experience with these? The car drives fine. I don't have a stock tune as the PO never gave me the tuner that has it. So I have a stock type tune I made in SCT. I have thought about getting the computer reflashed at Ford so I have it available just in case.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I have never had nor seen those 2 codes on either of the 2 terminators I've had....but if I lived in commi kalifornia I would for sure want a factory stock flash to match the pcm code in the passenger door for times like this. No way you can be too careful trying to pass smog out there.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I've never seen them on any of the Mustangs I've dealt with. So I don't know what's going on. But the bright side is I found a guy that isn't bad on the visual. He only cares about the monitors. But of course two of my monitors weren't ready and now I get to figure out why. Everything is turned on in the tune and I have cats. So this shouldn't be an issue.

52merc

Established Member
I wish I knew more about PATS but I'm learning. The Ford CD service manual describes these 2 DTCs as follows:
+++++++++
P0602 Control Module Programming Error
-This Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) indicates programming error within the Vehicle ID block (VID).
-VID data corrupted by the scan tool during VID reprogramming.
-Using the scan tool reprogram the VID block. If PCM does not allow reprogramming of the VID block, reflashing the PCM may be required.

P1260 Theft Detected - Vehicle Immobilized
-Indicates that the passive anti-theft system (PATS) has determined a theft condition existed and the engine is disabled. This DTC is a good indicator to check the PATS for DTCs.
-Previous theft condition
-Anti-theft system failure
-Theft indicator flashes rapidly on on solid when ignition switch is in On position. Check anti-theft system for DTCs. Typical symptoms are: Start/Stall or Crank/No Start. NOTE: No crank symptom only on vehicles equipped with PATS starter disable feature.
+++++++++

I believe the P0602 was caused by some sort of problem with the SCT tune which sent some sort of program code to the VID that it did not like. This then forced the P1260 to show up. Its odd because everything I've read says the P1260 will result in a No Start, but you say you don't have problems starting the car and driving it.

Were the codes in active or historic memory?
Have you been able to clear those two codes?
Have you run the standard KOEO and KOER tests?
Did these throw anymore codes?

If you can clear the codes and they don't come back, then don't worry about it.

I have a little experience programming different electronic modules on newer vehicles (mostly my 16 F150) using Forscan and that process can throw some weird DTCs that need to be cleared after all the programming is done. This could be a similar circumstance.

01yellercobra

Established Member
@52merc That's what I found too when I was searching around. I haven't tried clearing anything because I was working on setting the monitors and didn't want to start over. I'm going to be swapping mid pipes soon so that'll clear anything lingering with the battery disconnected for a couple hours.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I just reflashed the computer and the P0602 was still there. But the P1260 was gone. Maybe tomorrow I can take it out and see if the code comes back.

52merc

Established Member
Have you changed rear axle ratio or tire size and tried to reprogram the PCM for that? If you have, there may be an error in the coding for those. The P0620 error comes from the Vehicle Identification block of the PCM and indicates that some parameter entered to determine vehicle characteristics is wrong.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Have you changed rear axle ratio or tire size and tried to reprogram the PCM for that? If you have, there may be an error in the coding for those. The P0620 error comes from the Vehicle Identification block of the PCM and indicates that some parameter entered to determine vehicle characteristics is wrong.
Nope. My car is a basic bolt on car. It still has the unported stock eaton. There is something about the tune though. When I reflash it the P1260 comes back and the car won't start. Well, it'll start but shuts right down. If I turn the key off and turn it back on the car fires up as normal. The code goes away after two 15 minute drive cycles as I found out.

I might try the tune I normally run as I don't think it has these codes.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Why not have the dealer reflash to the lastest pcm version. Then go from there.

hotcobra03

Established Member
my tuner list some codes common for tuned vechile

602 i think is 1 of them

i had 1260. i do have a key just cut to use to unlock door or trunk.

it will allow key power to use windows and radio. but once you turn to run/start po1260 sets

01yellercobra

Established Member
Why not have the dealer reflash to the lastest pcm version. Then go from there.
I'm in the process of doing that. The service advisor wanted to make sure they can still do it before setting an appointment.

04OWwhipple

Established Member
I work for a Ford dealer. I attached the Ford workshop manual description of that code. It is a code that is set if there is some kind of error with the PCM reprogramming/tune. A Ford dealer should be able to reprogram it back to stock and to the latest stock calibration from Ford and get rid of that code. The P1260 is an odd code but it could just be residual from your programmer for a few key cycles as you have found out.
P0602.JPG

01yellercobra

Established Member
I ended up writing a couple of different tunes and the P1260 stopped showing up. The P0602 was still there. From my reading its normal when loading up an aftermarket tune. Maybe it depends on the car as this is the first time I've seen it.

I loaded a base tune with none of the SCT changes. All of the monitors except for Evap set within 15 miles. I have a little over 3/4 of a tank so the Evap monitor not setting isn't a surprise. Guess I can get the car smogged now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread