Theoretical race question, mostly stock 5.0 lx vs mostly stock 4.6 gt

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I decided it was the best since there not cobras*. Basically, I had someone claim that someone's 96-98 4.6 GT could "wipe the floor with me," and I was wondering what my LX would do against a 96-98 GT. I really doubt I would run him, and if I do, I'd love to do it in a 1/8th or 1/4 mile, but I just wanted to know in case something did happen at a later point down the road. My mods are: Mac cat-back, VRS x-pipe, air silencer delete, pro 5.0 shifter. His mods as far as I know are flow mufflers and a "intake" (which I assume to be a cai.) Not sure how well he can drive. I can get a wheelhopping (but not spinning badly) launch at 2k with crappy tires (but due to circumstances I am currently in, theres no way I'd run him before I got some new tires,) and have powershifted before, but don't really care to do it. Just wondering what would happen in a 1/8, 1/4, and a little beyond? Thanks!

03ZincRcode

Established Member
90_red_lx said:
Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I decided it was the best since there not cobras*. Basically, I had someone claim that someone's 96-98 4.6 GT could "wipe the floor with me," and I was wondering what my LX would do against a 96-98 GT. I really doubt I would run him, and if I do, I'd love to do it in a 1/8th or 1/4 mile, but I just wanted to know in case something did happen at a later point down the road. My mods are: Mac cat-back, VRS x-pipe, air silencer delete, pro 5.0 shifter. His mods as far as I know are flow mufflers and a "intake" (which I assume to be a cai.) Not sure how well he can drive. I can get a wheelhopping (but not spinning badly) launch at 2k with crappy tires (but due to circumstances I am currently in, theres no way I'd run him before I got some new tires,) and have powershifted before, but don't really care to do it. Just wondering what would happen in a 1/8, 1/4, and a little beyond? Thanks!

i would say it would be a driver's race. you might would pull a little in the long run. :shrug:

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Thanks for the input, my best guess was a drivers race with the edge ot me down low, and him up top? :shrug:

wti01bullitt

Established Member
You should be able to whip a 96-98 GT pretty easily. I had a '96 and used to get owned by 5.0s all the time. Now if it was a P.I. car I would change my reply.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
98LaserGT said:
Stock for stock, a 96-98 can easily beat a 94-95. I'm not sure about Fox's though.
The 94-95 would be a drivers race and I'd still easily put my money on the 5.0 before the non P.I. 4.6. Those things are freaking dogs. I almost bought a 96 a while back and was at awe at how slow they were to pull.

90lx, you should beat the hell out of the guy. When I was bone stock w/flowmasters I owned the hell out of a 97' GT with full exhaust and CAI.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Thanks guys, I was hoping that I could at least edge him out. It just makes me laugh that he comes by revving it up to about 6k as I'm getting in myn, then he smiles like he could walk me like I was standing still. If I did run him, it'd definetly be from a dig, as I'm sure a 5.0 has an advantage down there. 5.0s really don't do well up top when your stock. :(

CY98Cobra

Established Member
2v 4.6's are low-end cars too. If I'm not mistaken the Fox 5.0's are rated the same as the early 2v's. If so you should definitely take him considering your Fox is about 300 pounds lighter than any 94+.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Dunno if anything will happen, but if it does I wanted to know what to expect. From a dig it sounds like a drivers race, slight advantage to me possibly? I'm pretty sure he only has mufflers and a CAI, so I hope i'm ok.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
From a dig your advantage is greater because he has more weight to move. You should jump out pretty good if you can drive.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Sounds good. If we ever get to run I'd like to run away from him real quick and shut down, as I really don't feel like getting up to high speeds. I'd want it to be over quick.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
90_red_lx said:
Sounds good. If we ever get to run I'd like to run away from him real quick and shut down, as I really don't feel like getting up to high speeds. I'd want it to be over quick.

I put a few cars on the 96-98 I raced in a matter of a few seconds. Those cars are much more bark than bite.

94306gt

94 5.0 Gt306
Established Member
U should smoke him ne way but if u think he might be close turn up ur timing to 14* and set ur tpd at .98 volts. actually gives u a pretty decent gain. U should defenitly smoke him though 96-98 gts are low 15 sec cars ur car should at least be for hight 14's mid 14's if u can drive like hell

Red hot pony

Established Member
No 96-98 gt has ever beat my 95gt stock for stock. I would try him if I were you. You deffinitly have the weight advantage with the fox.

96tangcobra

Established Member
You should whip on him if you can drive a lick.Non-P.I. Cars have NO torque. And definitly run from a dig,Your weight and torque,You should be able to pull him good outta the hole.I can tell you for sure because I have one of each of the cars you speak of :p

elicium

Established Member
my 2 cents,,
0-60 1/4 mile

1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 6.4 14.9

1999 Ford Mustang GT 5.5 14.1

u can tell that 99 stang is lightly mod'd prolly a nice tuner, maybe intake and some exhaust, and the 90 is an auto, dunno why youd call this race a drivers race... also no one accounts for the age of the car ? 15 years old that lx has how many miles? 90k+ and after 15 years of beating it, unless its been overhauled its tired. now everyones going to post that those 99 mustang times are way too fast for that little of modding, my buddy has the g-tech meter (i borrow it) im'a light modded 00' white vert, runnin 5.6-60 14.8-1/4, (waitin on an install of the 3.73 gears) dunno how accurate that is but its close enough,, u would be better off takin him from a 50mph roll, even then there maybe some tug and chase but he's gonna pull away come 100+ (if its automatic in o/d that 4th gear screams at 3800 rmp) sorry bro ima say it'll be close, but unless the kid doesnt know how to put the pedal down, i think hes got ya

times quoted from : http://www.metawire.org/~nomel/car_times.txt

Users who are viewing this thread