The WWII Thread

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Any of you WWII buffs familiar with "The Karen's of Burma"?
Burmese people from the Karen Hills area who fought valiantly during WWII.

"In the main, World War II was fought along racial lines. For the Burman majority, it was nothing less than an uprising for national liberation. For much of the war, however, ethnic Burmans appeared to be fighting on a different side than the ethnic minorities. It was to Imperial Japan that the independence hero, Aung San, and the "Thirty Comrades" traveled for military training, and more than 3,500 volunteers were armed by the Japanese in the Burma Independence Army (BIA), which entered the Karen hills from Thailand at the end of 1941 in the footsteps of the invading Japanese 15th Army.

The Ethnic Minorities

Seen from the perspective of Burma's minorities, the war appears in a very different light. Most were to fight on the Allied side. For example, some 12,000 Karen and Karenni in the southeast joined the British-trained Karen Levies, or underground Force 136; these units were to be perhaps the most effective of all the Allied forces in Burma, inflicting more than 12,000 fatalities on the retreating Japanese armies during 1945. For their loyalty to the British, however, they were to suffer grievously. It was the Indian community, some 500,000 of whom fled the country, who suffered the heaviest loss of life at the hands of Burman nationalists. But in communal attacks on Karen villages in the Delta, the Official Report for Myaungmya District alone put the Karen death toll at 1,800 villagers. In the eastern hills hundreds more were killed-again, many eyewitnesses still recall, at the instigation of BIA.

Eventually in the Delta community leaders on both sides tried to stop the killings, and two battalions of Karen troops, led by San Po Thin and Hanson Kyadoe, joined BNA-but the damage had already been done. Many Karen leaders say they had already decided the future safety of their people was now dependent on an independent Karen state, something they claim British officers repeatedly guaranteed throughout the war. During the hasty British withdrawal from Burma, however, such promises were quickly forgotten. But for one former Karen leader, Saw Marshall Shwin, who was tortured by the Japanese after being turned in by BIA, the years have not lessened the pain. His heartfelt testimony is still enshrined in the Frontier Areas Committee of Enquiry of 1947. In 1987 he told this writer, "The British probably forgot us a long time ago, but what they did to us at Burma's independence has proven a very bitter, a very tragic experience for the Karen people. I told the enquiry what we wanted was real autonomy and I told them of so many atrocities committed by Burman soldiers against Karen villagers during the Second World War, but they didn't listen. I still don't know why."

Source:

I have sadly and shamefully neglected the Japanese occupation of south east Asia beyond the American theatre of operation. There is so much history there and in China with the Japanese that gets overlooked.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I have sadly and shamefully neglected the Japanese occupation of south east Asia beyond the American theatre of operation. There is so much history there and in China with the Japanese that gets overlooked.

Me too. Just watched the tail end of a 2019 special featuring those still surviving Karen Warriors. Sadly by now, most have passed on.

This documentary was produced by some Brits who have scoured the Karen Hills to document their stories and bring them together once/year to celebrate their service.
(Today Burma is known as Myanmar)

IMG_1208.jpeg

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Any of you WWII buffs familiar with "The Karen's of Burma"?
Burmese people from the Karen Hills area who fought valiantly during WWII.

"In the main, World War II was fought along racial lines. For the Burman majority, it was nothing less than an uprising for national liberation. For much of the war, however, ethnic Burmans appeared to be fighting on a different side than the ethnic minorities. It was to Imperial Japan that the independence hero, Aung San, and the "Thirty Comrades" traveled for military training, and more than 3,500 volunteers were armed by the Japanese in the Burma Independence Army (BIA), which entered the Karen hills from Thailand at the end of 1941 in the footsteps of the invading Japanese 15th Army.

The Ethnic Minorities

Seen from the perspective of Burma's minorities, the war appears in a very different light. Most were to fight on the Allied side. For example, some 12,000 Karen and Karenni in the southeast joined the British-trained Karen Levies, or underground Force 136; these units were to be perhaps the most effective of all the Allied forces in Burma, inflicting more than 12,000 fatalities on the retreating Japanese armies during 1945. For their loyalty to the British, however, they were to suffer grievously. It was the Indian community, some 500,000 of whom fled the country, who suffered the heaviest loss of life at the hands of Burman nationalists. But in communal attacks on Karen villages in the Delta, the Official Report for Myaungmya District alone put the Karen death toll at 1,800 villagers. In the eastern hills hundreds more were killed-again, many eyewitnesses still recall, at the instigation of BIA.

Eventually in the Delta community leaders on both sides tried to stop the killings, and two battalions of Karen troops, led by San Po Thin and Hanson Kyadoe, joined BNA-but the damage had already been done. Many Karen leaders say they had already decided the future safety of their people was now dependent on an independent Karen state, something they claim British officers repeatedly guaranteed throughout the war. During the hasty British withdrawal from Burma, however, such promises were quickly forgotten. But for one former Karen leader, Saw Marshall Shwin, who was tortured by the Japanese after being turned in by BIA, the years have not lessened the pain. His heartfelt testimony is still enshrined in the Frontier Areas Committee of Enquiry of 1947. In 1987 he told this writer, "The British probably forgot us a long time ago, but what they did to us at Burma's independence has proven a very bitter, a very tragic experience for the Karen people. I told the enquiry what we wanted was real autonomy and I told them of so many atrocities committed by Burman soldiers against Karen villagers during the Second World War, but they didn't listen. I still don't know why."

Source:
Never heard of that story.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member

I’m by no means an expert, but I have read enough to understand why people hate the Japanese to this day because of what they witnessed and experienced in World War II. I believe they have every right to feel the way they do.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m by no means an expert, but I have read enough to understand why people hate the Japanese to this day because of what they witnessed and experienced in World War II. I believe they have every right to feel the way they do.
You are correct. My mil said she had no problem with German cars, but she would never own a Japanese car.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Grandfather was a B-24 bomber pilot
Shot down I believe landed in Sweden. Survived, didn’t talk much about it.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
And then the real rare triple veterans that served in all 3 conflicts WW II, Korea, and Vietnam. Sadly we lost our last local one that served with the 101st AB from March 1945 to Sept 1968 two years ago.

My Uncle Walt, a US Army Master Sergeant was one.
He was one of the most unselfish people I've ever known. He would give a stranger the shirt off his back if they asked.
His service to our Republic is indisputable proof.

IMG_1414.jpeg

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I am reading Masters of The Air and there is a chapter on the Swiss that is interesting. They were "neutral" but aligned with the nazis. Shot up US planes that went into Swiss airspace would be forced down and the crews captured. The prison conditions were worse than Germany and many US airmen were killed when they attempted to escape. The Swiss would sell US planes to the Germans and their airforce was equipped by the Luftwaffe.

Every German Swiss I have met has been a ****ing asshole and now I hate them even more.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I know this thread is geared towards history but I'd like to remind you all that WW2 Vets are dying out fast.

Thank them while you still have a chance.

There was a WWII vet at the Panthers(NHL) game last month. 102 years old.
Was nice to see everyone at the arena honor him multiple times.
Was out for the national anthem and then in the 2nd period they had a short segment on him during a TV timeout.

OT but one nice thing about the Florida Panthers is every home game they honor a vet.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I am reading Masters of The Air and there is a chapter on the Swiss that is interesting. They were "neutral" but aligned with the nazis. Shot up US planes that went into Swiss airspace would be forced down and the crews captured. The prison conditions were worse than Germany and many US airmen were killed when they attempted to escape. The Swiss would sell US planes to the Germans and their airforce was equipped by the Luftwaffe.

Every German Swiss I have met has been a ****ing asshole and now I hate them even more.
I've never heard that before. Very interesting.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Masters of the Air is now on Apple TV+. 9 episodes total, I think 5 have been released so far. Anyone watching it? No spoilers, as I've not watched it yet.

VegasMichael

Established Member

Hi! I'm Michael! A German Swiss asshole! And here I thought people hated me because I'm a WASP. By jingo.

Users who are viewing this thread