The wait begins...

blk02edge

Established Member
Im a 3 pedal guy BIG time, but today, I drove a race car that I have 30 years of experience in. New transmission, from an h pattern, to a no lift sequential (up and down). For track use, I hate to say it, but the auto (what ever form) is just so much faster.
What was it

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
My favorite is listening to Larry break it down.

And I stand corrected. I thought Larry had said they were trying to pull ~75lbs or so from the vehicle. At the 10:06 mark Larry says 75 kilos, which is 165lbs.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
What was it
SCCA Specracer Ford gen 3. The box is made by Sadev

The GTD is going to be heavy, even with the weight savings of the body panels etc. The SC, fluids / coolers, the active hydraulics, S650 flat out being large, are bits that all add up.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Im a 3 pedal guy BIG time, but today, I drove a race car that I have 30 years of experience in. New transmission, from an h pattern, to a no lift sequential (up and down). For track use, I hate to say it, but the auto (what ever form) is just so much faster.

So much faster. It's incredible. I'll never pick an h pattern for track use again.

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
I'm not sure who would be faster in an h pattern compared to a sequential.
I didn't say faster, but with dogbox H patterns in cars like the SRF, F2000 that can also come with updated sequentials ect. The H pattern just isn't slower in theory. The later sequentials are just more repeatable for the average Joe in SCCA racing.

I was just matching pace in a 996 CUP vs an Ex Imsa GT3 CUP champion with a floppy paddle 997.2 cup.

Just being pedantic. Just comments like "way faster" just isn't true and I have to be an annoying bum about it.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
Because it would look retarded without the rest of the body work and then to do a full CF wide body with the wheels/tires/suspension to match, you'd then be looking at 300k for a "Mustang"
Yes that explains all the plastic and dodge ram grill the new mustang has.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I didn't say faster, but with dogbox H patterns in cars like the SRF, F2000 that can also come with updated sequentials ect. The H pattern just isn't slower in theory. The later sequentials are just more repeatable for the average Joe in SCCA racing.

I was just matching pace in a 996 CUP vs an Ex Imsa GT3 CUP champion with a floppy paddle 997.2 cup.

Just being pedantic. Just comments like "way faster" just isn't true and I have to be an annoying bum about it.

If you were in the same car...one with an h patter and one with a sequential... what would the time difference?

blk02edge

Established Member
If you were in the same car...one with an h patter and one with a sequential... what would the time difference?
I've played this game with a VD RF02 (4spd H pattern Hewland and a USF2000 (FTR 6 speed sequential with geartronix). same tire same day, it's about the same depending on aero and setup.

The H pattern, with a dogbox is a 0% loss. If you try and be reasonable with all the factors in open wheel or sports racers.

And this 996 Cup which is an H pattern is awfully close to what the Hollinger prepped 997 Cups will do. The variables are far more in the driver and setup than what gearbox is in the car.

At a pro level anyway. Yes, the majority of people are faster with paddles

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've played this game with a VD RF02 (4spd H pattern Hewland and a USF2000 (FTR 6 speed sequential with geartronix). same tire same day, it's about the same depending on aero and setup.

The H pattern, with a dogbox is a 0% loss. If you try and be reasonable with all the factors in open wheel or sports racers.

And this 996 Cup which is an H pattern is awfully close to what the Hollinger prepped 997 Cups will do. The variables are far more in the driver and setup than what gearbox is in the car.

At a pro level anyway. Yes, the majority of people are faster with paddles

I agree that an H-pattern dogbox is the same. I guess for lamens terms I'm comparing a sequential with a standard H-pattern transmission.

blk02edge

Established Member
I agree that an H-pattern dogbox is the same. I guess for lamens terms I'm comparing a sequential with a standard H-pattern transmission.
That's fair-er... the CUP is a regular H pattern though. Just with a Tilton twin disk and short ratios it shifts lightning quick. I highly doubt I'd be any faster with a 997 box.

And the instrument test back with Pobst in the ZL1 his laps were I believe identical manual vs 8sp.

Back on track though, this GTD is still sick AF. If I could afford it I'd be ripping the 8sp out for a sequential with a stick as it's purely a fun factor car in my eyes.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
There is no way I could mechanically shift the Mazda sourced H pattern faster than the Sadev. Again, I totally am a 3 pedal person, and really feel that a valuable skill is lost. I sadly have to tip the cap to a quicker way of doing things (its also a more durable serviceable item over the now 20 year old trans-axle).

Again wish the GTD would have a manual, but it wont, just like pretty much any no holds barred performance car moving forward. Only cars that will have 3 pedals are for clowns like us that just want them for the fun of it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
All this talk about being on the track is not helping me stay patient for my splitter to get fixed. lol

blk02edge

Established Member
There is no way I could mechanically shift the Mazda sourced H pattern faster than the Sadev. Again, I totally am a 3 pedal person, and really feel that a valuable skill is lost. I sadly have to tip the cap to a quicker way of doing things (its also a more durable serviceable item over the now 20 year old trans-axle).

Again wish the GTD would have a manual, but it wont, just like pretty much any no holds barred performance car moving forward. Only cars that will have 3 pedals are for clowns like us that just want them for the fun of it.
Was it not a Hewland LD200 in the SRF gen 2? Shouldn't be using 3 pedals in that car.

Ahhhh H pattern + mid corner shifts... I miss this car a lot (ignore the horribly off gearing)

Users who are viewing this thread