The usual 03 Cobra questions

sleepysvt98

Established Member
I have an 03 Cobra that is fairly stock. So far it has 25,XXX miles and the following mods:

BBK X-pipe
Flowmaster 40's (not a big fan of so far)
K & N drop in w/ silencer removed
Pro-5.0 shifter

I'm gonna purchase a CAI this week. I heat JLT is the best. Any other suggestions? I want to do a pulley swap also. What pulley size can I drop down to before a tune is needed? Or what pulley should I go with, and then a tune also?

I appreciate the help fellas.

724COBRA

Established Member
Mine had an FIPK on it when i bought it and it works great, but if i were to buy a new one i would go with JLT because it looks great as well. I have a 2.8 pulley and i think a tune is recomended with any type of pulley swap. I could be wrong though

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
For and intake, you will see good gains from both a JLT and K&N FIPK. My unbiased opinion is that the JLT is a better intake. It replaces the factory inlet tube and gives you more power over the K&N.

I believe the pulleys you can run without at tune are the 3.40's and 3.10's. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But I recommend going with a 2.76 for an upper pulley. You'll get the most power and Tq. from this size upper pulley. BilletFlow makes the best ones. And you WILL need a tune for this size.

USBlueStage2

Established Member
I am in the same boat - new to the cobra world - looking for an increase in power. I have been looking aroung at different options, 3.40 pulley does not appear to require a tune.

2.76 upper and perhaps a lower would require a tune and usual fuel mods. But will that be efficient w/o porting the eaton?

Or, just FI and go right for the whipple :shrug:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
For the intake I would go JLT all the way!!

Then a Billetflow 2.76" upper and a custom dyno tune on an Xcal2 from us. You'll need a new belt and I recommend some TR6 plugs and now you're all set up the way you should!!

We have everything you need in stock and back it up with our customer support as well so feel free to give us a call and we'll be glad to assist you. Thanks, Jared

spincobra03

Established Member
jtl is good, a 2.93 is real good if you decide to change the lower later on. As for the tune you have to get it up on a dyno before you just puts someones box tune in. You can get the xcal2 hand held from leathal performance or any other good vendor. But you have to get the Air/fuel and dyno graphs and send the to a tuner such as pro dyno who I use (and wouldnt go anywhere else), you can use amazon, I dont know if leathal tunes but I hear good things about john lund also, either way be safe when changing the pullies, good luck

spincobra03

Established Member
usbluestage. In order to go to a whipple you need alot of supporting mods and roughly 8 to 10k after all the upgrades labor etc. I would suggests this. Call a tuner and tell them what you want out of the car they will tell you exactly what you need and they will make your car safe, also they will teach you something. A 2.93 is good combo with a lower pully a 2.76 is better if you dont want to change the lower. there are lots of tuners and lots of opinions if your interested dan desio at pro dyno will answer any questions you have its his cell number. Im not a vendor or paid in anyway by pro dyno. Im just a guy who got great service and want people to see the same. also rick at amazon is talented to. dans number is 1 704 651 3807

OhIIICobra

Established Member
If you don't plan on getting a lower pulley, just get a 2.76 / tune and be done with it.

spincobra03

Established Member
ohio cobra plus one on that idea. I would say that after a while you may get tired of it and might want more but thats personal preferance and wheather or not you have the cash to upgrade to a kenne bell or whipple.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
PWORLDSTANG said:
I believe the pulleys you can run without at tune are the 3.40's and 3.10's.
I would get the custom tune before the pulley if you can only afford one or the other. Stock tune sucks... You can get a handheld used for maybe $150-200 and load a custom tune from one of the vendors on here for $100 so that's not a bad deal. When you put a pulley on it later have the A/F verified or take it to a dyno and then make any adjustments if necessary in the tune.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
i have a 2.76 and planning to run 2# or 3# lower as soon as i go ported. also get the 100mm idlers ...because my belt was slipping without them. BTW i have an unmarried predator that's just sits in my room right now that i can sell to you for 155 shipped if you want

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread