The time has come

94venomV8

Established Member
Well which much regret I will be steeping away from the car scene for a bit. I am currently finishing my car which has been a project for about a year and a half. Ive made the decision to sell my pride and joy here shortly after I get a final tune on it and I put some more miles so the new buyer has no problems. If you guys have followed my build it's been a stressful ride but it has been worth it in the end. I was going for high 700hp on a street tune and I'm sure I will surpass that easily on a more aggressive tune. Anyway, this post is kinda more or less asking if anyone regrets getting rid of their babies afterwards. I've been doing project cars, race cars, and fast street cars since I was old enough to hold a wrench and I honestly just want a break and time to do things with my kids like my son jr. drag racing and going on motorcycle rides around the country. Anyway try and ease my pain and if anyone is looking in the near future for a badass ride that will be 1000's cheaper then most 03 cobras and out perform them in everyway then keep an eye out within the next couple months. It sucks literally building this entire car and selling off but it seems I have more of a desire to actually build the cars then drive them lol.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
well you are not out of the game just yet. Give us a whole build thread, that way you can document what you have done to the car, and have some fun with it. Then when you sell her you can direct people to the thread to see the history of the car. Some work now will provide hours of entertainment and help you sell the car down the road. Unless you end up changing your mind and realize you built a bad ass car and want to keep it

Bright Blue Cob

Established Member
I doubt if you will regret it anymore that the other cars you have sold. I used to be the same way, I would get the car just the way I liked it and then something else would catch my eye(I am on my 34th vehicle), its funny too because everyone that bought mine was happy to get it, my labor was a give away. As I get older I am keeping my cars longer, the labor doesn't come as easy. Time with your son can never be gotten back, a car can.

Cobra52898

Muscle/Performance car junkie
Established Member
That is a personal choice. But I have known lots of guys that have regretted selling their hot rod. My son and I have spent many quality hours working on my Cobra together. Besides if the project is nearly complete then it shouldn't take up too much more of your time. And if it's all paid for then what do you have to loose by keeping it? Just MHO. Good luck.

Awt2

Established Member
Me and my dad have tons of time working on cars together, and its what got me into Cars all together. If you would rather sell the car, so you can have time with your kids, its a good choice. The car will make you happy for the time you are driving, but I doubt you are going to sit down when you are in your 70's/80's and wish you still had your Cobra. Instead, you'll be thinking about all the quality time you spent with your kids, doing things with them and spending good time with them.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Me and my dad have tons of time working on cars together, and its what got me into Cars all together. If you would rather sell the car, so you can have time with your kids, its a good choice. The car will make you happy for the time you are driving, but I doubt you are going to sit down when you are in your 70's/80's and wish you still had your Cobra. Instead, you'll be thinking about all the quality time you spent with your kids, doing things with them and spending good time with them.

Tear. lol but all true.

OP, I say keep it. You already spend all your time working on the car. Therefor you will not be wasting all your time on the car instead of hanging out with your kid. Keep the car, and hang out with your kid. :beer:

You know that if you sell you'll be back anyways lol

94venomV8

Established Member
All of the above is true lol. And it does hit home about working on it together. My son loves cars and working on it but I notice he has other things like sports and racing that take a tremendous amount of time, plus I have a daughter as well, and still have to spend time with the wife to keep them all happy. My wife loves riding the Harley, I know 110% I will be back within 5-10 years with another bad stang but for now it seems I enjoy riding more then cruising and like said above, the time with my kids is time I can't get back later. Thanks guys.

goats

Fast whitey
Established Member
I regretted selling my first mustang,it was a 95 GTS and yea it was slow but I loved that car and it only let me down once (pick up coil). It took me 7 years to get another one and got a 97 cobra and I'm not making that same mistake happen again to this one.

SpittingCobra

Established Member
I don't understand why owning the car keeps you from doing any of the things mentioned!?

Finish the car, drive it, keep it. Teach the kid to drive it and wrench on it. You're not gonna get hardly any money selling it, it's worth far more to the person who built it, it has all your time and money invested in it.

Mine's taken me over a year to get back together, people keep telling me to just let it go and get another one. Which really pisses me off because these clowns don't understand what goes into building a car, you cannot go buy another one just like it. I see you getting rid of the car, missing it, and buying another one down the road, and blowing a bunch of money on that car again. Better off keeping it IMO

94venomV8

Established Member
I don't understand why owning the car keeps you from doing any of the things mentioned!?

Finish the car, drive it, keep it. Teach the kid to drive it and wrench on it. You're not gonna get hardly any money selling it, it's worth far more to the person who built it, it has all your time and money invested in it.

Mine's taken me over a year to get back together, people keep telling me to just let it go and get another one. Which really pisses me off because these clowns don't understand what goes into building a car, you cannot go buy another one just like it. I see you getting rid of the car, missing it, and buying another one down the road, and blowing a bunch of money on that car again. Better off keeping it IMO

Your absolutely right, I know I will probably find another money pit down the road. And its not that the car is keeping me from any of that at all, obviously my kids are a priority over the car. Its just with all the other prioritues I have no time for the car and dont want a 800hp car collecting dust and deteriorating ya know. I would much rather find someone who will use it and enjoy what has been built. With that said I know Im losing thousands when I sell it, probably close to $7-8000 with what I've put into it. The trans and interior set me back almost $4000 right there, not counting the rearend, suspension motor and turbo build Im doing now.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
It sounds like you have already made up your mind, it is a question only you can answer, everyone is different. My mother has been pressuring me for months to sell my car, which is never going to happen. For me, I know the second I sell or get rid of my car...it won't take but three weeks before I am back on autotrader/craigslist/ebay/forums/etc trying to find a WS6/Cobra, where I will end up spending my money TWICE trying to get an equivalent back. Although I'm in the same boat as you..I truly have more fun planning/shopping/building the car, than actually driving it. -scratches neck-

Maybe try trading and get a compromising fun car?? That way you don't have to deal with the hassles of driving a built car [we all know, nothing drives like a stock car!] and you aren't wasting a 800hp car. Get something a little more practical that is still a lot of fun to drive! Like maybe just a bolt on cobra/WS6, muscle car, or whatever floats your boat! I think that would be best.

Last edited:

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
I agree with this guy!
"these clowns don't understand what goes into building a car, you cannot go buy another one just like it. I see you getting rid of the car, missing it, and buying another one down the road, and blowing a bunch of money on that car again. Better off keeping it IMO"
went down that road a couple years ago and am DAMN glad i didn't follow through. keep it, drive it and hang with the family. its what i do everyday!

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
i agree with this guy!

Went down that road a couple years ago and am damn glad i didn't follow through. Keep it, drive it and hang with the family. Its what i do everyday!

+1 Don't do it. You're going to regret it later.

94venomV8

Established Member
how much are you looking to get for the car?

Not to turn this to a FS ad but I will probably start at 15K. I have with what I paid for the car and all the mods, about 26K into it. And I also know you can't find a turbo, 6 spd, built everything from top to bottom for that price that drives like a stock car. It has a 03 cobra interior, in dash DVD and a 1200hp fuel system as well. Everything on the car works, save for AC which had to come out for the turbo kit. With that being said its hard to sleep at night knowing this day is coming but it also is exciting at the same time. The car is paid off so I plan on doing a custom wheel set on my Harley and then paying off all my bills so I'm debt free except for house and school loans. Then I will put the rest into savings!

I guess that's the other side too, I will be graduating in about a year and be a Dr. I shouldn't have a problem with money later on and when my school loans hit I don't want any debt credit card or otherwise. I guess right now it's more logical to do that and not worry so much about anything and kinda just relax for once and not have a project going.

00_silvergt

Established Member
if you like the car keep it. i regret getting rid of a 95 gt. so later down the road i bought a 97 cobra. its just not the same. right now im still wanting my 95 gt. and it kills me not to have it because i sold it to my brother. he won't sell it back to me lol

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
If you're graduating soon and about to make big bucks.. I would definitely keep the car. You're going to be busy work work and working and might not have the time to build yourself another car down the road to scratch that itch for speed!

Just my opinion and wish you the best.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I'm glad to see things must have worked out between you and your wife. Selling a car to focus on family is never a mistake.

You know that I know what it takes to build on of these, in both money and time, and you're absolutely giving the car away for a steal at $15,000. You should have no problem moving it at that price.

Just curious, who are you going to have do the final tuning?

Users who are viewing this thread