The Tick - When Do You Know You're Safe from Getting It?

RedfireVert

Las Vegas SEMA 2005 -
Established Member
How much mileage must a Cobra have when you can finally say that it's safe from the Tick (or probably won't get it)?

My car has 6,000 miles and no tick. But I listen for it every time I drive. Sometimes I think I hear it, but I know it's not really there.

term

Established Member
It is quite audible, http://mtg.homeunix.com/tick.mp3 . There is no mistaking it.

Sometimes mine was quiet enough where I couldn't hear it, but most of the time it was noticable. The best way to tell is go into a drive through / next to a solid wall so the sound bounces off the wall.

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
I dont think all the ticks sound like that that is the worst case 9i have ever heard i bet it started out alot quieter and got worse to the point the clip was made.

Orange Poison

Established Member
This is a good question...

It sounds like the majority of the people who get the tick....have it early on....between 500 to 1500 miles.

I'm not entirely sure...I've heard of people developing the tick at 8,000 miles too, but then again...how do we really know it's in fact the infamous tick.

This is something I listen to too....and I hate it. I don't think I have it...but sometimes I hear a slight slight tick from underneath the car but I don't ever hear it going through the drive through or next to a wall.

I currently have 5,400 miles on her.

akaeric

Established Member
When I bought a 2004 model mine on the2003 wasn't as bad as his but it was nice to not have it again and the fear that something was going to let go and all the mods I had on that car I knew my warrenty wouldn't cover it.

indycobra

Established Member
The tick is from a design flaw in the drivers side head which restricts the flow of coolant to the #7 and #8 cylinder heads causing them to overheat. This causes a problem with the valve guides failing in the cylinder head causing a ticking sound. Apten performance has been the only one to introduce a possible solution to this problem with their cooling modification. But Ive never read anything that states a sure fire fix. Many people have had heads swaped only to see the tick return and many including me have never had the tick. Kinda a mystery. Im sure someone will find a solution only a matter of time.

kaboom

Yea it's a 03 now shut up
Established Member
Dont even think about installing it without pulling the motor you got no shot

n0xlf

Established Member
Unfortunately, I think it probably depends on how you drive the car and when...I would imagine that if the tick is truely related to the heat problem, then a few 100 degree days, AC on, foot to the floor in 6th (lots of load + heat) would bring it out...

I'm worried about this too, as I don't drive mine all that much, and would hate to see it come on some time after the warranty is gone (which probably is now due to mods anyway, but who knows..)..

You would think that if the head design were bad during a period of time, that everyone would end up with it failing, but that doesn't seem to be the case...Makes me wonder if it was actually a design issue, or if the heads come from different places/machines, where only some of them ended up bad, even though the design itself was okay...

jeffsvt

Established Member
Mine has 3,000 miles on it and the tick just showed up . I've yet to take it to the dealership but soon I will be .

Users who are viewing this thread