The story of the fan motor...

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Drove the car for the first time this season last week. Few blocks from the house I noticed the temp. gauge starting to nudge past 210. Pulled into a nursing home driveway, pop hood, grab my cold soda and park my a$$ under a nearby tree to wait.

Must have been shift change. Had four gals stop and ask if I needed help, I'm guessing RN's. A couple of them I was temped to ask out to dinner, didn't notice any ring...:-D

On with the problem, yesterday check coolant, start and let idle. Kept an eye on the gauge and sure enough it starts to climb. Something came on. I believe it was the fan making some kind of funky noise. Pull fuse, it's toast. Today, put new fuse in start up let idle. Temps climb, funky noise again. Blown fuse.

Jack car up, no obstruction in the fan, but it's hard to turn blade. Pull plug, hook-up test light, start car, bingo, light comes on when it gave signal to fan. Good, no short in wires. Bearing failure.

The fuse blew 'cause the bearings are bad and it was trying with all it's might to turn, so something has to give. Goodbye Mr. Fuse...

Now, sense it's replacement time should I stick with OEM or is there a better aftermarket fan set-up for the Cobra?

Thanks guys...

Mark

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Rockauto.com shows a Dorman fan assembly, $81.79 Description says high fiberglass content offers extra strength and rigidity while improving thermal stability.

Motorcraft for $131. 79, description says fans and shrouds made from recycled materials as are OE parts.

There are a few more fans varying in price from just below $81, a couple in-between the Motorcraft being the highest price.

So, stick with OE Motorcraft or not? Opinions?

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
I did motorcraft for 200 before I knew about dorman...

someone did post a side by side pic...they looked identical

Snake Plissken

Established Member
I did motorcraft for 200 before I knew about dorman...

someone did post a side by side pic...they looked identical

Other than the materials used to make the fans and shroud the motor, bearings, wiring and plug are probably the same. Like a lot of products you pay the top dollar for the popular name, this being Motorcraft.

What the heck, I think I'll go for the Dorman. I haven't pulled the unit yet, but it looks rather easy so if the Dorman poops-out early (not that 19,270 miles for Motorcraft is a winner in that dept. either.) it won't be to bad of a re-due.

I should be use-to replacing factory Ford parts early. Bought a new '01 Bullitt back in '01 and the heater core dumped at 13,xxx and then the fuel pump at 19,xxx. Sold the car at 20,xxx miles and bought the Cobra.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Fwiw...on old fan..remove the resistor and save it...

you will find they cost almost as much as fan itself..glad I did..my motorcraft went bad last year luckily I kept mine..

Resistor is in top passenger side of housing ...green barrel looking thing

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Thanks, will do.

Kinda funny, did a google search on Dorman products. Geez, talk about unhappy people, lol! Now I'M thinking Motorcraft. lol! Na, we'll give the non-OEM a try.

One thing I'm curious about is the CFM on these fans. I checked around, but didn't come-up with any answers.

hotcobra03

Established Member
CFM question has been asked...tech notes on fan dont say..quess a call to tech support is only way to know..

Honestly ford doesnt make the parts they assemble the car..parts come from outside source

finding out who supplier was would be nice

Snake Plissken

Established Member
CFM question has been asked...tech notes on fan dont say..quess a call to tech support is only way to know..

Honestly ford doesnt make the parts they assemble the car..parts come from outside source

finding out who supplier was would be nice

I know for decades Ford owned a glass manufacturing facility and sold glass to GM and Chrysler. Back in the '60s & '70s and prier, before and when I was a young tike and teen. I presume those days are long gone (I know my teen years are lol!)

Still haven't had a chance to pull the old unit or even order new one. Life gets in the way sometimes, mom has doctors appointments. I've leaned if you make it to 94 years of age you spend a substantial amount of time at doctors offices, for what, I'm not sure sometimes. Had to cut grass today (my yards and mom's yards.) 'cause once again their calling for more rain this weekend. Hopefully I'll get some garage time over the weekend...

Users who are viewing this thread