The Sr-71

Status
Not open for further replies.

scn

Established Member
I wonder what we have now that replaced that plane? Whatever it is, I'm sure we will find out in about 10 years.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
My all time favorite jet.
No need to post the link for me.
Red,white and blue.
I lived in Burbank in the '60's (Skunkworks) when my step dad was a media figure. "dad, what was that?"
Read deeply how the Titanium skin was/is and leaked (JP3?) all over the place until heat warmed the puppy up.
Same jet engine as the F-104 Starfighter.
http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/kelly1.htm

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
I drive past an SR-71 going to work everyday. It's on the I-565 at the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville.

RFH

Established Member
I wonder what we have now that replaced that plane? Whatever it is, I'm sure we will find out in about 10 years.

Exactly, think about it. This plane was developed in the 50s. Makes you wonder what they are working on now....

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
I drive past an SR-71 going to work everyday. It's on the I-565 at the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville.

I think thats an A-12?? predesessor to the YF-12A and SR-71 I know the 1 on the Intrepid in New York Harbor is an A-12

My favorite out of the Blackbird Family is the SR-71C which was the bastard child of the family. A melding of 1 of the 3 YF-12A's rears that crashed with a front of a SR-71B to fill a gap created when a couple of B's were destroyed and so they needed a new trainer to take its place. Its now on display at Hill AFB

Vashthestampede

Its not a TUMAH
Established Member
The question of the f-22 not being able to exceed mach 2 is mainly because it has fixed geometry inlets. So far most aircraft with fixed inlets cannot exceed mach 2 because of the shockwave ****ing with the airflow as you go much past mach 2.

sb306

Established Member
wow, I always thought the blackbird was badass. I actually got chills reading that. Im pretty sure it still has the record for the fastest jet. On its final flight it broke 4 more records. lol. plain and simple its just amazing. Makes me sad when I see that the plane is out of service. oh well

Last edited:

UlstaftheUsurpe

Established Member
i wonder which SR is on display at March AFB Museum right outside LA.... if any of you folks that live in LA want to take your kids to see one there's one at that museum just an hour or two down the road from Fullerton...

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Awesome plane. I still have a balsa model I built of it when i was 10 in my room.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
Where'd you get that info? The true top speed of the SR-71 remains classified to this day, and I can assure you, it's well, WELL past that.

who cares what it was? they have planes in development that can hit mach 12-15. they are using electromagnets or some shit to alter the air in front of the plane to create a slipstream, reducing the drag dramatically. ok, i'm very sure they're not using electromagnets to do this, but they are doing it. now, whether they have a working prototype utilizing this technology remains to be seen. but i would be shocked if they didn't. skunk works ftw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread