The Sound of Burning Rubber

jamiehjr

N/A w CompCams, 4.88 gear
Established Member
Hey!

What should the sound of burning rubber sound like? I think it should be a high pitched squealing with the drama of smoke and signature parallel stripes on the pavement. Why do my tires "scruff", low pitch sound? Is it because of the low profile?

Who has experience with different tires? I want some squealers! The previous owner mounted Kumhos, and I am pondering whether to mount Goodyears or Bridgestone 245/45/17s. Suggestions?

Stickiness is great when your racing, but I like to show my a$$ when I burn up my street tires! lol

Jamie

Last edited:

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
my yokohoma's sqeal like a raped pig!!! :rockon:
but they dont leave that great of a patch :??: ...ok smoke :burnout: ....but last for ever! :idea: so it wont cost an arm and a leg!

stangfan16

Established Member
the less amount of tread left on tires, the higher pitched the squeal, until you have no tread. then, they wont squeal at all. this is why drag slicks don't squeal and off road truck tires make a very low-pitched squeal.

the "squeal" you hear is the tread blocks snapping back into place after being stretched by the friction on the street.

each tread pattern will sound different, and each surface will cause a different sound.

jamiehjr

N/A w CompCams, 4.88 gear
Established Member
I like the idea of the Yokohoma's sounding like a raped pig! So far, Yok's are in, Kum's are out. Anyone know about Goodyear and Bridgestone? Since each tread pattern will sound different, I need to poll EVERYONE to find the RIGHT tires for MY sound! lol

Stangfan16, thanks for the science of the squealing tire! I always wondered why my older cars with tall series block tread Goodyear tires squealed and the new "aquatread" Kumho's don't. Now I know!

Jamie

kansasCityGt

Established Member
High performance tires tend not to squeal as much as winter or all year tires. after about 1000 miles is about the best time for some squealing, broken in and still with good grip. I do not peel out on purpose. BFG KD 275.45.17 is to expensive to keep replacing.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
It's all about the rubber compound and tread pattern. If you are buying tires to spin and squeal don't spend money on big name brands man.

Then again it's your money, not mine.

FYI, I run Kuhmo and have no problems making them squeal or smoke.
The Ecsta MX is a good open track/street tire and cost effective when you change them as often as I do.
Of course now with the R2s The kuhmos are for the street.

Users who are viewing this thread