The SN65 project car

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by SN65
Well... The stock location for the AM radio speaker is in the middle of the dash where the dash meets the front window.

Thats it. :-(

All the speakers are going to have to be hidden somehow.

i can locate all the amps and a pair of tube subwoofers under the rear shelf that will replace the rear seats. I can locate a tweeter in the door where the window hand crank used to be (I will be eliminating the crank and using electric windows). I was thinking that I could fabricate some "6 inch Pods" (I can bucher some speeker/kick panels for the pods, but maybe there is a better idea out there) that can be located at the lower front of the doors. I guess I could fabricate something similar for the rear speekers.

I was going to atempt to utilize the factory stereo, but I understand that these are hard if not imposible to customize. Maybe I should sell the entire unit on e-bay and pick up a much nicer packaged system. Somthing with nicely balanced tweeter, mids, subwoofer... maybe a retractable DVD player and GPS system???

I am having trouble making up my mind on this one. If you have a workable suggestion I am more than willing to listen.

HELP!!!

SN65

So basically, there's going to be a ton of fab work done to make ANY speakers fit...

Since that's the case, I say get rid of the idea of the kick panels (crappy sound and bad speaker placement) and go ahead and mount the speakers in the doors with painted screens to match the rest of the door, and put the tweeters on the A pillar OR near the roof on the B(?) pillar angled down (basically, right next to your ears). That will raise your sound stage up from the floor, which is not where you want it. The less reflecting the sound has to do, the better it will sound.

As far as an aftermarket system.... Here is my suggestion:

Head-unit: Alpine
IVA-D901 DVD Player w/ 7" Screen

Speakers: MB Quart Q-Series Components
QTC 25 (Tweeters) Power RMS=100
QWD 160 (Mid-Bass) Power RMS=80

Subwoofers: Eclipse
(2) 12" SW9122 (750W RMS Each; 1500 Peak Each)

Amplifiers: Precision Power
Tweeter Amp: Precision Power PPI DCX 300.4
Mid-range Amp: Precision Power PPI DCX 300.4
Subwoofer Amp: Precision Power PPI DCX 1000.4 (Bridge the four channels, making two total channels at 500W RMS)

Make sure all your cross-overs and controllers are AudioControl, as they've been in the business for many years and are still a trusted name. I would switch to a deep cycle battery and maybe throw in some capacitors for the subs as well.

That would give you one HECK of a system (easily competition quality). The only problem would be, where to put the 3 amps and 2 subs. A custom formed fiberglass enclosure in the trunk would probably be your best bet, although you may be adding some weight you weren't planning on. However, you could probably make a dang nice looking amp-rack with a Mustang/Cobra theme worked into it... :thumbsup:

That's my suggestion :rockon:

Let us know what you plan to do and what your thoughts are!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

burg65

This is an awsome project. I came over from StangNet to view the pics. Hey cito, I work in Mason, and would be more than up for the road trip to see this masterpiece-in-the-works. Let me know. Hell it would be a 65 and 03 Cobra (I own a 65 GT Vert) going to look at a 65 and 03 Cobra.

SN65

Established Member
Originally posted by Blk03SVTCobra

SNIP...
This should look pretty darn good and if it really is about 2400lbs when it's all said and done.... That car is gonna MOVE!!! (about a 6.1538lb-to-1HP ratio, which is freakin incredible!! Better than a Mercedes-Benz McLaren SLR!!!)

Opps...

I ran this by my brother and I had my numbers off a bit. :bash:

He thinks it should realistically weigh in at about 3,200 when finished.

Sorry. :-(

SN65

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
very nice...I thought of the idea as I love the fastback stangs of 65/66. I also thought about getting a body in white of the new 05 stang and putting the 03 body on it.....however I quickly dismissed the ideas as pipe dreams. Well Just like the red socks showed us & now you are showing us, anything is possible ! Are you going to call yourselves the mustang idiots like the soxs call themselves the boston idiots ? ;-)

I look forward to pictures & movies.

Being an Mech Engr, I really understand the effort involved in the design & fab for this.
I can see a lot of thought is going into this.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

SN65

Established Member
Hi All,

Just got news from Hot Rod that the build of the SN65 project is going to be covered in the Jan issue.

WoHoo

This will be the second car I have built that will get Mag coverage. I hope that they write up a feature article when it is done.

SN65

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Hi All,

Just got news from Hot Rod that the build of the SN65 project is going to be covered in the Jan issue.

WoHoo

This will be the second car I have built that will get Mag coverage. I hope that they write up a feature article when it is done.

SN65

I will be looking for that mag issue.

Any new developments on the stereo problem? What about the components I had listed?

Where's the project stand? What are you trying to accomplish this week? Got any new pictures??

Sorry to ask so many questions, just curious is all :thumbsup:

SN65

Established Member
I will be looking for that mag issue.

Any new developments on the stereo problem? What about the components I had listed?

Where's the project stand? What are you trying to accomplish this week? Got any new pictures??

Sorry to ask so many questions, just curious is all :thumbsup:
Hi Blk03,

As far as the stereo, I really appriciate the list of recommendations. We will be looking into all the items you listed. When it comes time to plan the installation, we will be posting photos and plans.

This week we will be cutting out a bunch of parts on the laser tabe. I am just reviewing the plot files now. I will be posting a jpeg of the plot file just to give you an idea as to how far we are taking things.

SN65

SN65

Established Member
Hi All,

Here are some photos of the templates and test plots. Note that reliefs are located at the edge of every fold point and that the holes are located for all the spot welds. No punching required.

The files have been sent to the laser table. I will have parts back as soon as they can work it into their schedule (unfortunately WORK comes first). :-(

SN65

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tex Arcana

Established Member
...if we were able to relocate the shock towers 7" forward to allow for the difference in wheelbase.

Dang.. no wonder I always thought that my '67 'vert *FELT* bigger inside than the SN95s... :eek:

Great project, man... keep us posted. I can't wait to see how it turns out. And post as many pics as you can, we GOTS to see!! ;)

66sprint6

Blown Inliner (soon)
Established Member
Boy Howdy I cant wait to see this finished!!! I still cant picture the end result, and THAT has me excited. Keep it up and keep us posted!
Matt

SN65

Established Member
Hi All,

Here is a shot of one of the K-member frame rail extensions being cut out, and the piece fresh off the table.

It took longer than I expected to get time on the table. :-(

This piece will be formed into a channel and welded to the existing frame rails. All of the holes you see in this piece are where the spot welds will be located. We should have photos of the installed pieces ready by Monday.

Wish me luck.

SN65

attachment.php

attachment.php

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Hi All,

Here is a shot of one of the K-member frame rail extensions being cut out, and the piece fresh off the table.

It took longer than I expected to get time on the table. :-(

This piece will be formed into a channel and welded to the existing frame rails. All of the holes you see in this piece are where the spot welds will be located. We should have photos of the installed pieces ready by Monday.

Wish me luck.

SN65

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks like the project is coming along!

Keep us updated :beer:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Originally posted by BlackSnake03
this might be one of the best custom mustangs of all time when its finished.
Mike

Only if they put in the stereo components I suggested... :-D

Just kidding. I completely agree :beer:

SN65, how's that January deadline looking??

SN65

Established Member
Only if they put in the stereo components I suggested... :-D

Just kidding. I completely agree :beer:

SN65, how's that January deadline looking??

Hi Blk03,

Jan is still the goal. If I get the paint finished by the end of Nov, we will have it all assembled by the end of the year.

If you want to come by and lend a hand, I would not object. :)

SN65

SN65

Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
Using the '03 seats? :read:

Hi Platinum,

Yes, I love the Cobra seats. I am also using the 03 dash and center console.

SN65

SN65

Established Member
Hi All,

This morning I formed and fit up all the pieces required to locate the shock towers. The bodyman should be in shortly to position the laser measuring system so that we can start welding the front structure together. After the shock towers and frame rails are set, I can start welding all the additional panels into position.

I have been going since 6 this morning. It is 10 AM, I have about another 10 hours to go and I am wearing sunglasses.

It is time to get this beast rockin.

SN65

attachment.php

SN65

Established Member
Hi All,

Sorry to report that I did not get much accomplished this weekend. :-(

Shortly after taking this photo, I broke a tooth. Went dirctly to the dentist. He scheduled me with a oral surgen who pulled the tooth Monday afternoon.

So... I had a fun filled weekend, how about you.

SN65

Users who are viewing this thread