The Restoration Begins

jmichalicek

Established Member
So I've been a member here for a long time and some of you may vaguely remember me from sporadic questions being asked over the years. But now, it's finally time to get serious-ish, I hope, so I'm just popping in to say hi and ask a couple of simple questions.

So, long story short, like many dumbass kids, I bought a car I couldn't really afford, didn't maintain it well, never learned to work on cars, etc. Somehow my '99 Cobra survived through the years anyway. As I got older I got more responsible, I tried to start getting the car back into the shape it should be in, but made a poor choice in mechanics to help me along the way and so didn't make great progress and probably have more work to do in some areas. In the last year or so I got tired of paying mechanics to half ass repairs and started doing stuff on my own... either it'd get done right or at least I'd pay less to have the job half assed and it would be my decision to do so. I should be graduating this summer (Not a kid, just didn't go to college when I should have) and so expect to have a tiny bit more free time and free money (only a bit... I'm married, have a kid, etc), so it's time to try to get this car back in the shape it should be in. Either I'll get it all fixed up or I'll "waste" a bunch of money on it, but I'll learn a lot either way.

On to the simple questions:

1. Are there really no aftermarket door panels for these things? By now I can't be the only person with torn up vinyl, etc.

2. No catted h-pipes, either? I found one flowmaster which was a bit pricey. I thought there used to be a lot more, but all I'm seeing currently are x-pipes. It's not the end of the world for sure, but when the day comes that I get to the exhaust, I wanted to go with an h-pipe.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
1.) I would simply get used ones out of an 03/04 that are in good condition....

2.) 99/01...(especially 99) are the red-headed step children of the New Edge Cobras....Most aftermarket will support 03/04 but I believe the 03/04 have different mid pipes so likely not much choice for us?

josephcostello

Established Member
I believe the 99/01 midpipes and 03/04 are the same...Also you should be able to find a set of clean door panels somewhere, either ebay or on these forums. Good luck with the restoration.

01yellercobra

Established Member
04 mid pipes have the rear O2 sensors in a different spot. They'll bolt up, but you need extensions for 03 and newer

jmichalicek

Established Member
Cool, I'll do some searching for door panels out of another car. I was figuring that just buying new ones would be the easiest way to ensure I was able to get any extra hardware I need, etc. and spend the least time hunting the parts down. If no one makes them, then tracking down used ones is what it'll have to be.

I'll definitely look more into the '03/'04 midpipe option. It's not at the top of the list right now and an x-pipe wouldn't be a deal breaker on doing this, but if I can get what I really want, that's obviously better.

First up is dealing with (or at least ruling out any major issues from) one knock that I'm praying is nothing major (don't think it is, pretty sure the car has had this for years, couldn't get a good recording the other day to post it) and then the cosmetic stuff which has been put off for far too long just keeping the car running... door panels, new leather and padding for the front seats (assuming the TMI stuff is worth the trouble/money), figuring out what to do with the odometer light randomly going out, and a few smaller things which will be big wins in making the car look decent like replacing the vent grille at the top of the hood.

Struts and springs need to be done somewhere in there, but that'll all depend on budget and just keeping an eye out for deals.

My goals are
1. Mechanically stable and I'm pretty much there, I think.
2. Looks nice again
3. Faster last... currently has 4.10 gears, custom tune, last put 292 tq/290hp to the wheels years ago but basically all stock.

jmichalicek

Established Member
Oh, nice, thanks 99-venom. I have a link to a much older forum post about that fix buried somewhere in my bookmarks from when the problem initially happened, but the video definitely makes it more clear than the description I have. I've been "going to fix it this summer" for quite awhile now. Any idea what the chances are of me screwing stuff up by being terrible at soldering? My soldering experience consists of one guitar pickup and I did a really sloppy job.

99-venom

Established Member
It really easy, but I've been soldering for a couple decades now.

You need a good pen style soldering iron (50 watt) with a small tip. You don't want to put too much heat into the components, so a small tip will help prevent that. New solder and flux will help keep the melting temp down, like I mentioned don't put too much heat into the components. Clean the tip of your iron with a tip cleaner (brass wool), apply a small amount of flux to the joints, tin the tip of the iron with solder (you're only re-flowing the joints) and apply the tip to each joint until you see them flow. Tinning the tip of the iron allows for the heat to transfer from the tip to the joint easier. Don't add solder to the joints directly, last thing you want is to bridge two joints together. Then remove the tip and allow the board to cool. Don't apply too much heat to the components. Magnification will help to see when the joints flow.

Last edited:

jmichalicek

Established Member
Nice, that will come in handy, I'm sure.

I don't have time to get into it seriously yet, and I will make a new thread when I do, but I think I'm slowly getting the previously mentioned knocking sorted out. I'm thinking the clutch's auto adjustment isn't working right and it's the clutch chattering or something with the throwout bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread