The R Community

JohnW#88

Established Member
Question.

Is there an active Cobra R community?

I know there's a SVT Cobra Association but anything R specific? You know, the kind of clubs that meet/ organize shows and track days?

I've sent some time with these folks, ITR EXPO 11 and there seems to be some similarities. The Acura boys are hard core racers/ enthusiasts and get together yearly at what they call an Expo. They rent a track like VIR for a couple of days and have fun.

Anything?

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Question.

Is there an active Cobra R community?

I know there's a SVT Cobra Association but anything R specific? You know, the kind of clubs that meet/ organize shows and track days?

I've sent some time with these folks, ITR EXPO 11 and there seems to be some similarities. The Acura boys are hard core racers/ enthusiasts and get together yearly at what they call an Expo. They rent a track like VIR for a couple of days and have fun.

Anything?

Congratulations, you've found us :beer:

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Granted it's a cool group of folks here.

But, I've read countless pages of history here and I've seen nada like the EXPO events.

More details!!!

Perhaps your local SAAC, SCCA, or NASA chapter. LVSAAC has quite a diverse bunch and the national charter holds an annual track weekend/national convention.

Bill S.

JohnW#88

Established Member
LVSAAC has quite a diverse bunch and the national charter holds an annual track weekend/national convention.

Thanks, Bill.

I've been to the LVSAAC site before and need to contact them.

Done with organized SCCA and NASA stuff. Been there and done that way to much. Heading in a new direction.

Would there be an interest in a Cobra R Expo type event?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Just stay on this site.

There is usually talk of everyone trying to hit one big event each year. The last few years have been part of the SCMC event at VIR in the Spring as I recall.

Keep watching the forum and the chatter will start.

Tom

Established Member
I enjoy running with the northwoods shelby club. They put on a great program and you always feel welcome. It's just that running a R is not that common. At the last event at the autobahn CC, one track friend couldn't believe that I would replace the original motor with a crate 427. I bought my car for me to enjoy, not to show. As these cars get older, I think people start to thinking that we can't do anything to change them. If you can set up an event that I can schedule in, I would love to be there. But I would bet that you can't get 50 on a track to really run like they were built for today. Sign me up if you get something started.

Steve

brianz426

Established Member
I agree with Steve, a lot of people are afraid to use these car for there intended purpose. When I bought my car it already had a few modifications to make it a better performer on the track. Luckily I have all the original parts to put it back to as delivered condition if I would ever decide to make that transition. I belong to SAAC group Maryland and SVTOA, I had a great time at VIR on the track during SVT Superfest/ SAAC 36. I will admit I was overly cautious the first day out on the track, by the second day I was really enjoying myself although I still ran more conservatively than when I'm in my
'98 Cobra. There are so few of these cars and they are spread out all over the country which may make it hard to get a big group together. I sent Bill Miller at Carlisle an e-mail suggesting an "R" reunion for 2012 Ford Calisle but have not gotten a response yet. If you are looking to do track events with some nice people I'd suggest SVTOA or SAAC Group MD., they're both fun groups.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
i think there are limits to what is prudent. why by a cobra r and replace what makes it a cobra r when you could get the same result starting with something more common? i fully support taking your cobra r to the track and thrashing it. i just think removing everything cobra r except the vin# from one of the few real r's is misplaced enthusiasum.

JohnW#88

Established Member
Sign me up if you get something started.

I'm not sure I'm looking for those duties. I guess I was hoping to find something already founded for R owners.

The Acura boys really seem to have their program figured out. They have a number of run groups from full-out racers with open passing all the way to noobies and show cars. Pick your speed kinda thing. They follow HPDE rules and have all corners stationed with flaggers. I was impressed.

Their event is as much a social and show as a track day.

JohnW#88

Established Member
a lot of people are afraid to use these car for there intended purpose.

Yeah, I completely understand and agree. I won't drive my R 10/10th on track- just not worth the possible damage.

Buying a used AS/AI racer for $10-15K makes a LOT more sense if you must get your speed on.

That's what makes what the ITR guys event so cool. Pick your pace or sit in the paddock and watch.

Established Member
I guess i have the same missplaced enthusiasum for my 68 Shelby GT 350. But if I put a rod thru the crate motor, it is an easy fix. Couldn't imagine finding all the parts to have a 'correct' replacement. And at the end of the day, it would always from that time forward have only a replacement block. As it is now, I can put the orginal engine back in it whenever I want, and it is all numbers correct. I look it the same way with my 95 R. Drive the hell out of them with no regrets.

Ruslow

Established Member
I am with all of you on driving the R.Mine by the time I finished making reliability that i needed to run in 100 plus temps and sustained speeds over 150,many parts were put in 'storage'.Now you can build a car that will run and out run an R for less$$$.But at the same time these cars were built to be driven even if for a 'parade' lap.After all it is a thoerobred[sp] and should be 'exercised'.After all the R stands for RACE.Stan

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
Temp

I have no problem running my 2000R @ TWS in the middle of the Texas summer at all. The engine temp 220-230, oil temp 250, & the dif temp 210-230 all day long. This is why I bought the car all the 2000Rs I ran with ran all day without any problems.

Now you can't do that in the 04 cobra I used to use. The 04 would go into limp mode after 3 or 4 hot laps even with a larger radiator, larger heat exchanger for the super charger. I even took out the thermostat the car temps would still climb & I would have to do a few cool down laps in middle of the session.

Gary.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
i think there are limits to what is prudent. why by a cobra r and replace what makes it a cobra r when you could get the same result starting with something more common? i fully support taking your cobra r to the track and thrashing it. i just think removing everything cobra r except the vin# from one of the few real r's is misplaced enthusiasum.

Rob,

If you remember correctly, the '95Cobra R's that were raced in the day changed every suspension part allowed, blew up engines, wrecked bodies(replaced), etc. Some of the cars were 6cyl. cars that they used to replace them with, and still called them "R"s. Same as when the GT-350's were raced. All this guy want's to do is keep his car in as original condition as possible, have fun on the track, and if something breaks, he has the original part to put back on. :rockon:

In reference to the '68 GT-350 engine. It wasn't anything special. A "J" coded 302 ci. I don't think the VIN # is even on the block, like the 289 HiPo was(could be wrong). I can understand you wanting more performance from a 235HP 4500 red line motor in a 3400lb Mustang. :poke:Go for the most fun you can have.

Last edited:

Established Member
The original engine is just sitting on a stand. Tell me where to look and I will confirm.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread