The ole Christmas knock

Dubbnasty

Carolina Mountain Snake
Established Member
Went to make a drive the other day in my 97 cobra w/120k miles. On start up I heard what sounded like a tick. I shut it off & tried again didn't hear anything. Drove about 40 mins with nothing. Went to come home & the tick had turned into a knock! This time it stayed. It was only from about 2k to 2600 rpm though. Checked oil, looked good. Drove home at a lower rpm. Next day I give it a better listen. I was thinking chain tensioner but the sound seems to be coming from the back passenger side. Oil pressure good, no codes. So what could this be? Gonna pull the valve cover maybe tomorrow & look. Anybody else with similar problems got a idea on what I could be looking for here. I haven't been too good this year so I don't think I will be getting a new bottom or top end under the tree. Kinda need this to be shade tree fixable.

Last edited:

65wildstang

Established Member
Im having a similar issue. But mine is a new motor and coming from the same area. Already changed all the tensioners & guides. Replaced all lash adjusters and followers. I also cut open the filter and checked the oil twice for metal. Im in the process of pulling the motor and trans to dig a little deeper. Good luck.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
this is just like my thread from a few months ago to a tee. i heard a tick, turned into a rattle/knock around 2-3000rpm and it got worse and worse. had good oil pressure no check engine lights and when i pulled the valve cover everything was in place. turned out i had a spun bearing or a few.
i thought it was the timing chain tensioners but it wasnt. if its stock with 120k id just pull it out and tear it down. hell you may be luckier than i was, anyhow good luck with whatever you find.

SIC9250

Coyote_Mach
Established Member
Rod or main bearing..valve train noise and bottom end noise are very different sounds to the trained ear..sorry for your luck,time for another bullet..

Users who are viewing this thread