The old S4 vs Mach 1

Catfood

Established Member
Well Ive owned my 928 S4 for about 3 monthes now, and I love driving it with the effortless v8 and superb brakes. Anyways I was headed into town to get some groceries and I roll up to a stoplight. I bright red Mach 1 mustang with a black stripe rolls up next to me. I looked over and the windows were tinted.

Immediately I got an adrenaline rush. I have really wanted to run a mach 1 because it is the mustang that is about as quick as my car in stock form.

Anyways the window comes down on the mach and I look over.

The kid couldn't have been over 17 and in the passenger seat was a young boy probably his brother. He smiles at me and revs.

Well I ask him whose car it is and he says its my dad's! I nod my head and think to myself, that is a crazy dad to let his 17 year old loose with a mach 1.

Anyways Ive already decided Im not gonna race this kid, I wont have his wreck on my conscience.

The light changes and he rolls out on me looking at me waiting for me to go and I just shake my head and slowly coax my car to the speed limit. He gooses it and gets way out ahead of me and is gone.

Sorry there is no kill, but I figured it was better this way. Ill just find the dad when he's driving someday then well see.

So my question is would I have won? Didn't ask about any mods. My car is in my sig.

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
HP for Mach 1 I think is about 305 and Torque is 320? Very clsoe to those numbers anyways. I think he would have handled you relatively easily. Most Mach's run under 13.5 and likely closer to 13.3 in 1/4. To me they are like the 99/01 Cobra's but with solid rear axles and I think steeper gears.

Was going to light you up if you raced a 17 y/o and his younger brother. Glad to see you did the mature thing

03OxWhiteMach

Lexi Belle=1 Sexy Clown
Established Member
Dig+Inexperienced 17yr=U 4 Da Win!! :)

Seriously, from a dig on the street, you would most likely win.

Not saying your car is faster then even a stock Mach 1, but given the circumstances, I think you had it in the bag.

ImMACHnU03

I race in Heels!
Established Member
My mach has only been run twice before the tune and gears were installed and it ran 13.2 both times at the 1/4 mile. Just some input as far as numbers on a nearly stock mach.

And good choice on not racing the teen and his bro.

Last edited:

Catfood

Established Member
Wow Machs are alot faster than I thought they were. My mom's B5 Audi S4 doesnt hold a candle to the 28' I pull on it from a dig and have a couple cars when I hit triple digits and you better believe the v8 can breathe up top!

I probably would have held my own, but it sounds like the high schooler would have got me.

Sounds like I need to get some exhaust and intake stuff for my car. Cant have those pos moosetangs pullin on me!:rockon:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Wow Machs are alot faster than I thought they were. My mom's B5 Audi S4 doesnt hold a candle to the 28' I pull on it from a dig and have a couple cars when I hit triple digits and you better believe the v8 can breathe up top!

I probably would have held my own, but it sounds like the high schooler would have got me.

Sounds like I need to get some exhaust and intake stuff for my car. Cant have those pos moosetangs pullin on me!:rockon:

With your 13.9 qtr mile time I'm pretty sure the Mach would have had you. Even though on paper the Mach is @ 305 hp it's actually a lot closer to 315 and tq being in the 325+ range. Plus the gearing helps too. Not sure how much 928's weigh but given your HUGE dissadvantage in tq you'll need some mods just to keep up. Those POS 928's were always one of my favorite rides.

Last edited:

Catfood

Established Member
My car weighs in at a hefty 3600lbs.

I would definitely have to give the advantage to the mach

Thanks for all the replies

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
My car weighs in at a hefty 3600lbs.

I would definitely have to give the advantage to the mach

Thanks for all the replies

Yup- you're giving up 200 lbs and at least 40 TQ stock. If he's got even basic bolt ons you don't have a prayer unless he's an A4. I pulled HARD on a bolt on (no tune) EVOIX with just CAI and catback so I think you prolly need LT's, CAI, Exhaust AND tune to have a chance.

GL:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Catfood

Established Member
Porsches are weird. Its really hard to get easy gains out of them. They are impressive stock, but its hard to make them perform above that unless you throw in a supercharger or turbo. Oh well its all for fun anyways.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Given he was 17 and his dad's car...I think it would have been within a car or two. (driver experience) Unless it was an auto. A decent to good driver though...he would have handed you your ass.

and GREAT job on backing down on that race. Good head on your shoulders......even if you have a 928. ROFL

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
:shrug: Why cant anyone under 20 be a good driver?

Do you understand Statistics? Numbers don't lie- the reason insurance on people between the ages of 16-25 is so high is because by an large as a population they STATISTICALLY have the most accidents/moving violations. Does this mean ALL people under the age of 25 are poor drivers? Of course not. But there are some things that ONLY experience can teach you.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
:shrug: Why cant anyone under 20 be a good driver?

If you started driving at 15-16 like everyone else then IMO you haven't had enough time to be a "good" driver. However there are 40 year olds that seem like they have never shifted a gear before in their lives.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
If you started driving at 15-16 like everyone else then IMO you haven't had enough time to be a "good" driver. However there are 40 year olds that seem like they have never shifted a gear before in their lives.

It's the septagenarians and drunks that irk me the most:mj:

wma8706

Established Member
Porsches are weird. Its really hard to get easy gains out of them. They are impressive stock, but its hard to make them perform above that unless you throw in a supercharger or turbo. Oh well its all for fun anyways.

I agree. A good friend of mine has a beautiful blk E46 M3 with every bolt-on imaginable. That car handles like its on rails and moves out pretty good for a V6. That car is nearly maxed out from the factory and will need force induction to compete with the built V8 domestics or built turbo imports in a drag competion. Other than nitrous... it will take serious cash for it to stay competitive with the big boys on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread