The Official 'TRUE' HDR Photography Thread

Stevo151

Established Member
lol, I finally have a picture worth adding here. :)

6745414999_5b71d1331f_b.jpg

Love the tree in this! Your car is bad ass and that's a great shot!

srtsir

Established Member
Wow these pics are amazing I have more than a dozen saved for background....I would love to see a pic of a Cobra with this quality in a car yard..I think that would look awesome...

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
Bumping a great thread!

new toy...not the best work I've done. Just dicking with a few old school lenses for fun.
7171327723_fa79087f47_b.jpg

7328442848_5d1422c3f8_b.jpg

samething but BW toned...
7329040316_3882efacfa_b.jpg

7236468650_e09317688e_b.jpg

panoramic shot of a massive storm leaving my area
7310884922_a8778487da_b.jpg

7236425858_b66d90e9e9_b.jpg

Last edited:

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
what do you mean 10 shot bracket? explain plz or post link to explanation. thanks.

He means ten separate exposures, then combined (normally via Photoshop but there are other programs that do it) to make one image. That is how to get a true HDR image, with each picture taken at different exposure levels. 3 or more is the minimum but you can obviously go big and do more. You can HDR a single image but its not the same and the software has less information to work with. Another way around that is to take one RAW file, make 3 copies in Bridge and individually edit the exposure in each file. Still not 'the way' to get a true HDR but it's close enough to fool 99% of the population if the person behind the software is crafty. Also good for moving images you want in HDR.

Or you can do the same thing but instead of exposure differences, you can slightly adjust the focus on each exposure to get a single, highly focused image. That's call focus stacking.

The image I posted in post #1363 of the guitar and camera lens is an example of focus stacking. Think that was 15 separate images blended together quickly in CS6. I didn't really do too much with it as I was just dicking around with the upgrade from CS5 I had just installed.

Last edited:

silverstang23

Established Member
what do you mean 10 shot bracket? explain plz or post link to explanation. thanks.

basically what beer dog said

He means ten separate exposures, then combined (normally via Photoshop but there are other programs that do it) to make one image. That is how to get a true HDR image, with each picture taken at different exposure levels. 3 or more is the minimum but you can obviously go big and do more. You can HDR a single image but its not the same and the software has less information to work with. Another way around that is to take one RAW file, make 3 copies in Bridge and individually edit the exposure in each file. Still not 'the way' to get a true HDR but it's close enough to fool 99% of the population if the person behind the software is crafty. Also good for moving images you want in HDR.

Or you can do the same thing but instead of exposure differences, you can slightly adjust the focus on each exposure to get a single, highly focused image. That's call focus stacking.

The image I posted in post #1363 of the guitar and camera lens is an example of focus stacking. Think that was 15 separate images blended together quickly in CS6. I didn't really do too much with it as I was just dicking around with the upgrade from CS5 I had just installed.

I put the camera on a tripod and tethered to my macbook pro sitting in the back of a 4runner

7259692738_2fee0055f4.jpg

I could completely control the camera with my computer. And to get the bracketing, I just started at my max brightness and increased the shutter speed one stop until it was as dark as I wanted to go, which ended up being after 10 exposures. I masked the layers manually in photoshop. I don't like the lack of control that you have with cs6 auto HDR or photomatix. I always prefer to do it by hand.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
I put the camera on a tripod and tethered to my macbook pro sitting in the back of a 4runner

7259692738_2fee0055f4.jpg

Nice set up. Simple and effective.

I masked the layers manually in photoshop. I don't like the lack of control that you have with cs6 auto HDR or photomatix. I always prefer to do it by hand.

Agreed. CS6 is a little dodgy with the photomerge feature. I kept CS5 for that purpose...and because my Nik Software doesn't seem to like CS6 all that much.

For HDR, I generally use Nik.

silverstang23

Established Member
Nice set up. Simple and effective.

Agreed. CS6 is a little dodgy with the photomerge feature. I kept CS5 for that purpose...and because my Nik Software doesn't seem to like CS6 all that much.

For HDR, I generally use Nik.

It was the only way I could get the camera to the 16 feet we needed.

I just hate the halo effect from all the auto software. Photoshops has never been very good. I have 3-6 and not really a fan of any of them. I have not used niks. The HDR software is the only program I am missing from their suite. I just haven't had enough luck with others to pay for another one.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
It was the only way I could get the camera to the 16 feet we needed.

I just hate the halo effect from all the auto software. Photoshops has never been very good. I have 3-6 and not really a fan of any of them. I have not used niks. The HDR software is the only program I am missing from their suite. I just haven't had enough luck with others to pay for another one.

I used to use Photomatix until I bought the Nik package. HIGHLY impressed. Tons of creative control that limits or usually eliminates halos.

Planter

Banned
Eastern Colorado - 2011 while storm chasing.

86e12aab.jpg

i only have the ability on my Canon 7D to do 3 exposures though. I can't get 5, much less 10. how are you doing that?

silverstang23

Established Member
Eastern Colorado - 2011 while storm chasing.

i only have the ability on my Canon 7D to do 3 exposures though. I can't get 5, much less 10. how are you doing that?

I don't use an auto bracket. When you are doing the three shot group you are using an auto bracket of 3 evenly spaced exposures based on a set +/- of 0 on your light meter.

I set the exposure manually and just increase and decrease it from proper exposure to get the results i want. I use my macbook pro to control the camera so i don't shake it on the tripod

Users who are viewing this thread