The new Cobra R for sale and want to buy thread

Established Member
I'd pull from my retirement funds if I needed to, to buy any year R in great condition at those Hagerty prices. Better investment at that point than any stock I own, and I don't get taxed on the enjoyment dividend. I have owned a couple 95s and own one now. A no story 2000r for $25K? Sure like to see that.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
The SCM values for the R really need an update and I told my editor about it. Hagerty price guide seems more realistic with the current values. The collector car market shouldn't be grouped into one chunk as some cars are moving up and others are declining. My thought on the R market is that they will continue to rise in value due to the limited production!

I agree.

Yet, you are 'talking your book' as they say on the global stock and options exchanges. If I owned long positions (or calls, or the car) on R Model cars, I'd talk them up.

If I owned a short position or puts, I'd talk them down.

I just own an old 95R. Yes, it's been great fun driving it over the last 20 years, and I plan on keeping it for another 20 years.

I just can't honestly predict higher prices for these cars at this time. I will also state again that the stock market is getting all of the media hype with it's continual new higher highs. The individual stocks are reporting much higher earnings so far this year. They are also raising dividends going forward.

We may exit the Obama slow-growth low-interest rate years to a new level of investment potential? That is what the market is saying today.

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Doc

Well "put". Without naming names, we have had others in a similar position do the same in the past, talking up to artificially inflate certain "markets", and in the end, their reputation was knocked down a few notches by the "conflict of interest" and the "manipulation" of said market(s) by "shilling to make a market"......

Bill S.

I agree.

Yet, you are 'talking your book' as they say on the global stock and options exchanges. If I owned long positions (or calls, or the car) on R Model cars, I'd talk them up.

I just own an old 95R. Yes, it's been great fun driving it over the last 20 years, and I plan on keeping it for another 20 years.

I just can't honestly predict higher prices for these cars at this time. I will also state again that the stock market is getting all of the media hype with it's continual new higher highs. The individual stocks are reporting much higher earnings so far this year. They are also raising dividends going forward.

We may exit the Obama slow-growth low-interest rate years to a new level of investment potential? That is what the market is saying today.

TFStang

Established Member
Proof is in the pudding, or bidding. 500 mile car just sold at Mecum for $42K. Seems about right. Those that didn't sell at a higher number mean nothing as it is very easy for someone to bring a car to auction with a high reserve and get friends to bid the car up to just under that higher reserve trying to set a new bar for the 3 or 4 R's they have for sale. It's been done before. Ask the people that paid $100K for a 93R and bought said 93R from someone that paid under $30K for it.

thgach

Established Member
I agree.

Who cares..Boring....I HATE talking FINANCIAL MKT CRAP...it's a MUSTANG site...are my going long calls short the put so am I buying the vols...what the IV on Morganworths long calls what's the strike ??...maybe He should use a synthetic derivative spread lmfao!!.....In the end if the economy gets better the limited edition R's should be in demand by kids who could not afford them when they were younger..thank you Morganworth for your input....here's my book...the R's are cool I like em....Mustang site dude...keep it fun

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Things that make you go hmmmm... Here is one of "Dennis Collins" collection that set a "world record", that now happens to be for sale again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-Ford-Mustang-LX-/292023483204?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

Those that didn't sell at a higher number mean nothing as it is very easy for someone to bring a car to auction with a high reserve and get friends to bid the car up to just under that higher reserve trying to set a new bar for the 3 or 4 R's they have for sale.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been studying and watching the car market.

I think it was 2014 when most cars hit their high prices. It seems a flat market or a slowly downward market for most Ford cars.

Many other cars (mostly Chevy's) are spiraling downward in a quick rush to the bottom.

I'd say at least wait for lower prices at the end of the year for the car market (or maybe longer). I have no conflict of interest since I don't trade in used cars.

MorganWorth

A fun exercise to really see what the "R" market is doing is to actually try to buy one. Call the individuals who have them and see what they are willing to sell them for. It puts you more in line with the trends versus burying your nose in a price guide. My thought with the car market is it's all about the generational gap and some cars get hot and others cool down, it's a cycle.

Bottom line is, I'm just a dirtbag who owns a dealership and have only been on this site for a few months.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
A fun exercise to really see what the "R" market is doing is to actually try to buy one. Call the individuals who have them and see what they are willing to sell them for. It puts you more in line with the trends versus burying your nose in a price guide. My thought with the car market is it's all about the generational gap and some cars get hot and others cool down, it's a cycle.

Bottom line is, I'm just a dirtbag who owns a dealership and have only been on this site for a few months.

I do not call (or PM) people and ask them to sell me their car. That exercise tells the owner that you want to pay a lot to get it.

I actually just hang around and let people call (or PM) me about a car that I own. This gets better results.

You can say that the magazine that paid you money is all wrong on their price guides. You should call Keith Martin directly and state this to him. Call McKeel Hagerty. They need your advice in order to run their businesses in a more profitable way.

You are not the first or the last used car salesman that has posted on this site in the last ~13 years.

Good luck in your future career.

MorganWorth

I do not call (or PM) people and ask them to sell me their car. That exercise tells the owner that you want to pay a lot to get it.

I actually just hang around and let people call (or PM) me about a car that I own. This gets better results.

You can say that the magazine that paid you money is all wrong on their price guides. You should call Keith Martin directly and state this to him. Call McKeel Hagerty. They need your advice in order to run their businesses in a more profitable way.

You are not the first or the last used car salesman that has posted on this site in the last ~13 years.

Good luck in your future career.

Ok

Last edited:

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member

Morgan,

The problem with writing about a market, is when the person doing the writing has financial conflict of interest with that market. You have to admit, since you are a dealer, buy and sell for a living, that you can't say you are 100% unbiased with your reporting and/or writing on the subject of what you are buying/selling/trading. Reality is that you can't be, no matter how much you say you are.

As for what you are reporting on, my advice, and especially at the larger, more publicized auction, is to watch closely as to who is bidding on what, vs who was hanging around a specific car, or helping to load/unload it from the transporter, or clean and detail it, or who is sharing a room, or block of rooms with the seller/sellers for that matter. Report on that, show us that you are really watching what is going on when you report those "record prices". You might just be surprised (or maybe not) at what you really see when you look further than the shiny object in front of you.

MorganWorth

Morgan,

The problem with writing about a market, is when the person doing the writing has financial conflict of interest with that market. You have to admit, since you are a dealer, buy and sell for a living, that you can't say you are 100% unbiased with your reporting and/or writing on the subject of what you are buying/selling/trading. Reality is that you can't be, no matter how much you say you are.

As for what you are reporting on, my advice, and especially at the larger, more publicized auction, is to watch closely as to who is bidding on what, vs who was hanging around a specific car, or helping to load/unload it from the transporter, or clean and detail it, or who is sharing a room, or block of rooms with the seller/sellers for that matter. Report on that, show us that you are really watching what is going on when you report those "record prices". You might just be surprised (or maybe not) at what you really see when you look further than the shiny object in front of you.

If you subscribe to the magazine you can see my commentary on the one R (1995) I wrote about, lol. To paraphrase, I said it was my car upfront and that the market speaks for itself, pretty impartial if you ask me. I'm not writing about a market, I write about auction results, maybe once a year.

As for the investigative journalist idea, sounds cool, but when your onsite with the responsibility of viewing over 1000 cars in a few days time, the last thing you have time to do is be Matlock.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread