The most common question I get asked about SN95 seat frames - answered.

tbone7467

Established Member
This thread is a little old but figured id ask here anyhow. I'm wanting to upgrade my 1997 cobra seats to the 2004 seats. I read that all 1999-2004 mustang seats are exactly the same as the 2004 seats. Is this correct? there is absolutely no difference in the hardware?

from6to8

Established Member
well now I'm reading up on another post to confirm the original post of this thread may not be so any longer as in having to use 99-04 frames to do the 03-04 cobra style seats.

shurur

Established Member
well now I'm reading up on another post to confirm the original post of this thread may not be so any longer as in having to use 99-04 frames to do the 03-04 cobra style seats.

IIRC The 99-04 seat brackets had a center seatbelt attachment bolt, while the 96-98 seat brackets did not; those seat belts were anchored to a bolt on the transmission tunnel.

The 96-98 brackets were a bit lower profile, so you sit a bit lower and get more headroom.

IIRC All the seat bolt patterns were the same, as the 99 cobra seats were the same as the 98.

I had transmission tunnel bolts installed in order to run lower 96-98 seat brackets on my 99.

Last edited:

from6to8

Established Member
IIRC The 99-04 seat brackets had a center seatbelt attachment bolt, while the 96-98 seat brackets did not; those seat belts were anchored to a bolt on the transmission tunnel.

The 96-98 brackets were a bit lower profile, so you sit a bit lower and get more headroom.

IIRC All the seat bolt patterns were the same, as the 99 cobra seats were the same as the 98.

I had transmission tunnel bolts installed in order to run lower 96-98 seat brackets on my 99.
that's probably why I was told by a mustang salvage yard guy that I would have to use my 94 seatbelts with my seatbelt holder and that you can't use 94-98 seatbelts with the 99-04 holders. You said 96-98 but they should be the same as 94-95. I'm about to call TMI on clarification of if now the 94-98 frames can be used. I'm assuming you'd still have to use the 99-04 foams though if you are trying to do 03-04 cobra styles or even plain 99-04 seats.

shurur

Established Member
that's probably why I was told by a mustang salvage yard guy that I would have to use my 94 seatbelts with my seatbelt holder and that you can't use 94-98 seatbelts with the 99-04 holders. You said 96-98 but they should be the same as 94-95. I'm about to call TMI on clarification of if now the 94-98 frames can be used. I'm assuming you'd still have to use the 99-04 foams though if you are trying to do 03-04 cobra styles or even plain 99-04 seats.

I suspect that the 94-95 seat and brackets are the same as the 96-98....***

I know nothing about the foam inserts and such.

But 03-04 cobra was a recaro (?) race seat...was the 01 cobra, although the 01 cobra was a bit different IIRC.

***The Recaros are nothing like the 96-99 cobra seats and the 96-04 GT seats; I believe those are all the same.

from6to8

Established Member
I suspect that the 94-95 seat and brackets are the same.

I know nothing about the foam inserts and such.

But 03-04 cobra was a recaro (?) race seat...as well as the 01 cobra, although the 01 cobra was a bit different IIRC.
The Recaro are nothing like the 96-99 cobra seats and the 96-04 GT seats; I believe those are all the same.
all good lol. Yeah just glad I got clarification and now I can decide if I want to get the TMI chicane or just wait on Kevin Brosch to do my skins. I do have one shop that I have to check with to see if she can make the skin in case I want them sooner than the end of the year.

shurur

Established Member
so correction to this original post 94-04 frames are the same but the foam from 94-98 are different than the 99-04.

Yes..probably seat bolts pattern on actual seat frames are same on 94-04 all.
And
Seat brackets for 99-04 have seatbelt bolt welded to actual frame instead of it being bolted to the tunnel.

from6to8

Established Member
Yes..probably seat bolts pattern on actual seat frames are same on 94-04 all.
And
Seat brackets for 99-04 have seatbelt bolt welded to actual frame instead of it being bolted to the tunnel.
i know the seats I took out of the 03 v6 the seat belt holder ( if that's what you call the bracket), it's mounted to the seat. I was looking at the driver's side seat on the one I took out and it had a crack near the bottom base where the belt holder was attached but it moved because of being cracked. When I looked at it I thought immediately about getting another from a car at the yard. I called the mustang salvage yard guy at his location and he told me what I said earlier about not even being able to use the holder on that seat and I'd have to change anyway if I was going to use the 94 seatbelts.

shurur

Established Member
i know the seats I took out of the 03 v6 the seat belt holder ( if that's what you call the bracket), it's mounted to the seat. I was looking at the driver's side seat on the one I took out and it had a crack near the bottom base where the belt holder was attached but it moved because of being cracked. When I looked at it I thought immediately about getting another from a car at the yard. I called the mustang salvage yard guy at his location and he told me what I said earlier about not even being able to use the holder on that seat and I'd have to change anyway if I was going to use the 94 seatbelts.

Yes those are usually called seat brackets.

Users who are viewing this thread