The mentality of a Prius owner

F8l Vnm

Established Member
Ahhh my never ending war with pruis's. Nothing like ****ing with them on the streets. Ohh you wanna get by? I dont think so , stay back and save some gas. Between the pos carolla and the japaneesed emperor Camry , I don't which one is fuglier.
Commercial is so stupid

Z28

Established Member
Buy a diesel, just as good on fuel economy, more power, better resale value, and the VW's/Audi's are very nice cars. I regularly average 700+miles on a 14-gallon tank in my Jetta TDI. Even at high speeds (80-85 mph) I still get 45 mpg, I don't think people realize how good of mileage the new diesels get. VW has really worked on the noise of the TDI's as well, they are very quiet and the average person would not know the car is a diesel. Very refined feel and the 6-speed trans shifts very smooth. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a nice car with good fuel mileage.

Last edited:

jimmy77

Established Member
Buy a diesel, just as good on fuel economy, more power, better resale value, and the VW's/Audi's are very nice cars. I regularly average 700+miles on a 14-gallon tank in my Jetta TDI. Even at high speeds (80-85 mph) I still get 45 mpg, I don't think people realize how good of mileage the new diesels get. VW has really worked on the noise of the TDI's as well, they are very quiet and the average person would not know the car is a diesel. Very refined feel and the 6-speed trans shifts very smooth. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a nice car with good fuel mileage.

I am a former Prius owner...I confess. Actually, I bought it for my wife's long commute. It is a very reliable and fuel efficient machine with a VERY good stereo in it. I never drove it much but, I did take it on a 3000 mile trip once. Impressions? Theres no need to drive slow to save fuel....just get that thing to 75 or 80 and it'll do 50 mpg all day long. Not a bad car..its more some of the folks who buy them....pretty well done car IMO.

My wife finally decided she needed a(another) new car and traded it for a 2013 tdi bug. Another good car with good power and good gas mileage....not as good as the Prius..but good. Well, waada ya know the wife then trades for a Honda Crosstour. This is where VW has problems....I would NEVER buy another VW until they get their resale value fixed....they have TERRIBLE resale value.

Conclusion: Prius: Blame the people ..not the car. VW: If you keep it forever, great. If not, you're gonna lose you're shorts.....the NEW Diesel may change all that.

Last edited:

B0B

Established Member
don't waste any water when you wash the car but go take a shower and waste 50 gallons of hot water then put your clothes in the dryer. Thats environmental friendly right there.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
I drive a Prius everyday and the lady has a hybrid lexus. I fill it up twice a month, park it wherever I want, and don't worry about it being stolen. Maintenance is extremely low outside of oil changes. It's at 117k and has the original brake pads and only been through one set of tires.

Yeah I have a nice cobra, but once you get over yourself and trying to impress people you don't know it really is the best value for commuting. Why people want to park their high horsepower car or lifted truck/diesel in tight spaces downtown, commute just to let it sit in a parking lot during the work day, or take to a crowded grocery store parking lot doesn't make as much sense anymore.

I used to do it so I'm not knocking anyone, but if everyone who hated a Prius actually drove it for a month and realized all they save on gas/maintenance you would think otherwise. Although not pretty or extravagant it has all the comforts you need and is honestly better for the environment. If you care about that sort of thing

Z28

Established Member
I am a former Prius owner...I confess. Actually, I bought it for my wife's long commute. It is a very reliable and fuel efficient machine with a VERY good stereo in it. I never drove it much but, I did take it on a 3000 mile trip once. Impressions? Theres no need to drive slow to save fuel....just get that thing to 75 or 80 and it'll do 50 mpg all day long. Not a bad car..its more some of the folks who buy them....pretty well done car IMO.

My wife finally decided she needed a(another) new car and traded it for a 2013 tdi bug. Another good car with good power and good gas mileage....not as good as the Prius..but good. Well, waada ya know the wife then trades for a Honda Crosstour. This is where VW has problems....I would NEVER buy another VW until they get their resale value fixed....they have TERRIBLE resale value.

Conclusion: Prius: Blame the people ..not the car. VW: If you keep it forever, great. If not, you're gonna lose you're shorts.....the NEW Diesel may change all that.

When I started looking for TDI's I could not find a used 2009-2010 jetta for under $12k, and if I did find one they had over 150,000 miles. So i ended up looking at basically new cars and bought my 2012 a couple years ago for $19.5k with 10,000 miles. If my car is still worth $12,000 with 150,000 miles I will be very happy with that. The TDI's have traditionally held their value well with mileage, gas powered Audis/VW's can be different. I can imagine you lost your shorts trading a car so new, that holds true to any car it seems. I bought mine for long term use as you had mentioned.

I will note that the DSG (automatic) TDI's do not get quite as good of mileage as the 6-speed cars. A friend has a DSG golf and I average 3-4 mpg better than his.

I've driven a few prius's and the Lexus Hybrid as rental cars. They are not bad cars. I couldn't have a prius as my personal car due to the stigma and to me it feels like a Toyota, they just have a "cheap" feel to them. The Lexus was an improvement but with a low to mid 30's price tag I don't see myself buying one. I did not like the constant "electrical noise" when running in electric mode or when the brake system was charging, but other than that the Lexus was a good under-the-radar hybrid.

There's something about a diesel that I enjoy though. The torque is great, mileage is great even if you and the VW's have a "solid" feel to them. It's also fun pulling up to the diesel pump and people giving you that what-the-hell look, lol.

I should also note that I pulled a motorcycle on a U-haul trailer over 1000 miles from Houston, TX to Iowa and still managed 25 mpg! Set the cruise in 6th gear and pulled it great. Not sure I would have attempted to do it with any other car. Tough little engine.

Last edited:

coachL

Established Member
Drink the cool aid . Every time I see one there on the interstate in the fast lane doing 5 mph under the speed limit. I ahe them

oldmodman

Established Member
Don't own a Prius but my girlfriend bought one when her new job required that she drive her personal vehicle about 200 miles a day to see patients.

She sold her Ford F-150 and got a new cheapest model Prius. It's small so it's easier to park. And she is getting 44mpg. And she gets the same dollar mileage allowance she would have gotten with the truck.

And her insurance is 350 dollars a year less.

Now on to washing my car.

Now that California is in a serious drought, if you let your car get incredibly filthy suddenly you are an environmental hero.
Lucky for me they don't know I'm just a slob.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
commute just to let it sit in a parking lot during the work day

I used to do it so I'm not knocking anyone, but if everyone who hated a Prius actually drove it for a month and realized all they save on gas/maintenance you would think otherwise. Although not pretty or extravagant it has all the comforts you need and is honestly better for the environment. If you care about that sort of thing

Just to let it sit at work all day? What about it just sitting in a home garage all day?

If you are financially responsible, you can afford the gas on X car.

As far as caring about the environment, maybe try reading my link above/researching green cars more. Then contact China and India on their polluting.

Chris0304

Established Member
What (50 DEEP) said ^^^
My wife has one for a DD as she commutes a pretty good distance for work. And she gets to ride in the HOV lane while the rest of us sit in traffic. And for the record, it's our go to car for most activities because it's practical and because we don't have to fill it up every other day.
that commercial def gives Prius owners a bad name....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread