The matrix is taking over my computer...

M240Bravo

Established Member
Well not really, I know some stuff about computers but don't want to mess anything up.

So wanted to ask if anyone has had these problems, before I start to delete files and try to reinstall programs.

Was playing a game and my game crashed. Restarted my computer. Now steam won't load, discord is gone and my windows start tab is broken. So many programs don't load. Tried to look at some youtubes but just scared to delete files.

Any help would be great.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Try running system file checker from the command prompt. This should repair/replace any missing, corrupt system files. This can repair damage to the operating system, but as far as third party apps, you will likely need to reinstall.

Use this command: sfc /scannow

Might also want to run a check disk, but I’d run the system file checker first.

Any personal files, pics, data you want to save etc.. you will want to backup to external drive, or cloud storage. I would do this before attempting any repairs.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Windows has repair features built in. I would look into using the built in methods before going and deleting files or whatever you've found on YouTube.

If you have a restore point, i would simply use that.

M240Bravo

Established Member
Try running system file checker from the command prompt. This should repair/replace any missing, corrupt system files. This can repair damage to the operating system, but as far as third party apps, you will likely need to reinstall.

Use this command: sfc /scannow

Might also want to run a check disk, but I’d run the system file checker first.

Any personal files, pics, data you want to save etc.. you will want to backup to external drive, or cloud storage. I would do this before attempting any repairs.

this is what I got.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
this is what I got.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

You will need to run that command prompt with elevated privileges i.e. administrative (right-click command prompt icon and you should see option to run as admin, shift-right-click will also give you run-as options). You can also try running sfc in safe mode with elevated privileges.

also make sure you have the installation media i.e. Windows CD etc in the machine when running SFC.

Here is a good link discussing this and other options.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them

FWIW if you have a recent system recovery/restore point you can always try that, though most don't usually have recent recovery point, if any at all. This is a feature many don't setup.

Users who are viewing this thread