The ignorance is amazing...Germany

AzDropTop

Established Member
I wonder if all of Europe is really this ignorant or if it's just Germany?
More B.S. to propagant the global warming myth.

August 30, 2005 Print | Send this article | Feedback

GERMAN PAPERS

Katrina Should be A Lesson To US on Global Warming

Seems like everything is President Bush's fault. One day after Katrina hammered the Gulf Coast, German commentators are laying into the US for its stubborn attitude to global warming and Kyoto.

AP
Fun-loving New Orleans, now a disaster area.
Hurricane Katrina is big news for German commentators, whatever their ilk. For some, the powerful storm which slammed the Gulf Coast on Monday, is a symbol of the sort of environmental terrors awaiting the world thanks to global warming and proof positive that America needs to quickly reverse its policy of playing down climate change. For the more conservative, it is simply another regrettable natural catastrophe.

Regardless of how one views it, Katrina has not only devastated parts of Louisiana and Mississippi and killed dozens, it also has threatened the US and its trading partners with economic instability. The Gulf Coast states refine about 30 percent of America's oil supply and Katrina's damage is threatening to cause already-high oil costs to skyrocket. The fun-loving town of New Orleans, beloved for its moody, French-inspired bars, crooning jazz riffs and free-for-all Mardi Gras spirit, has transformed into a watery ghost town, with 80 percent of the city's 480,000 residents obeying the mayor's call to evacuate. The pictures tell it all: frantic racing through chest-deep water, flooded city streets and uprooted trees. The storm even ripped off a chunk of the roof of the New Orleans Superdome, where close to 10,000 people had run to for cover.
The toughest commentary of the day comes from Germany's Environmental Minister, Jürgen Trittin, a Green Party member, who takes space in the Frankfurter Rundschau, a paper owned by the Social Democrats, to bash US President George W. Bush's environmental laxity. He begins by likening the photos and videos of the hurricane stricken areas to scenes from a Roland Emmerich sci-fi film and insists that global warming and climate change are making it ever more likely that storms and floods will plague America and Europe. "There is only one possible route of action," he writes. "Greenhouse gases have to be radically reduced and it has to happen worldwide. Until now, the US has kept its eyes shut to this emergency. (Americans) make up a mere 4 percent of the population, but are responsible for close to a quarter of emissions." He adds that the average American is responsible for double as much carbon dioxide as the average European. "The Bush government rejects international climate protection goals by insisting that imposing them would negatively impact the American economy. The American president is closing his eyes to the economic and human costs his land and the world economy are suffering under natural catastrophes like Katrina and because of neglected environmental policies." As such, Trittin also calls for a reworking of the Kyoto Protocol -- dubbing it the uncreative title of "Kyoto 2" -- and insisting that the US be included.

The left-leaning Die Tageszeitung also delivers a punchy plea for more attention to global warming, saying politicians should pay more attention to Katrina's alarming images than to election polls and economic forecasts. "Hurricane Katrina has delivered terrible photos. Experts are already calling it the worst hurricane of all time. But this year's hurricane season has only just begun. Flooded villages, mud slides, sandbags....Scientists are quite calmly saying that we will see this kind of thing more often. After all, this is what they have been forecasting for years -- climate change, human-caused and irreversible. But a change of policy is not in the cards. Politics is trapped between voters and industry lobbyists. And of course, there is the killer argument: Protecting the environment impedes economic growth." This is not how it should be, the paper opines. Indeed, more "pictures from New Orleans should encourage us to follow science's advice on climate protection."

NEWSLETTER
Sign up for Spiegel Online's daily newsletter and get the best of Der Spiegel's and Spiegel Online's international coverage in your In-Box everyday.

The business daily Handelsblatt has a more pragmatic approach to viewing the catastrophe. Instead of harping on the cause of hurricanes and other disasters, it insists that the world should better help those in danger get protection. "People will argue about the causes of climate change for a long time to come," the paper writes. "But its effects are already reality. They are called Katrina, or the flood catastrophes in southern Germany, Romania, Switzerland and Austria.... It's not enough now to just call for measures against climate change. Such policies need decades to take effect. But now we must begin taking different kinds of measures, ones that better protect people affected by extreme weather incidents." The best way to begin, says the paper, is to identify areas of the globe most in danger. In Germany, that includes areas around the Elbe and Donau rivers, while in the Netherlands, much of the nation is under sea level. More needs to be done, says the paper, to prevent building in potentially dangerous areas and to create high water emergency policies. The world, too, needs to help nations like Bangladesh, which doesn't have the means to reduce the risks its people face alone. "All of this will cost time, a lot of money and the eradication of old habits. But only in this way can people be protected and the even-higher costs of post-catastrophe damages be reduced."

The Financial Times Deutschland refrains from any commentary about the human costs of the hurricane and focuses on the economic impact it will have on oil supplies. "For the already-strained global energy market, Katrina is a small nightmare: The huge world-wide demand for oil has left producers and workers pushing their limits of capacity. If production platforms and refineries on the Gulf of Mexico have to shut down, the supply holes will not be easy to fill." Even if the current projects of the economic impact of Katrina are exaggerated, one thing is clear, the paper says. In the end, the storm will have proven "the vulnerability of the oil-dependent world economy."

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
When are people gonna figure out that the earth runs in cycles.....during the dinasours it was a tropical planet, then the ice age etc etc

AzDropTop

Established Member
Blixa_Bargeld said:
Yeah, science is dumb. :rollseyes

Which science are you referring to? There is just as much so called science that negates global warming as there is that supposedly proves it.

Blixa_Bargeld

Notch-o Man
Established Member
AzDropTop said:
There is just as much so called science that negates global warming as there is that supposedly proves it.

No there isn't. You’re living in 1992. Not even the coal industry's paid shills say there isn’t global warming resulting from human activity. The only argument left is in regard to the degree of change.

speederdoc

Established Member
Even if humans and our industries were somehow responsible for the warming trend, even the most radical changes proposed by the most sissified tree-huggers would not have any significant impact on the problem. We are going to keep burning fuel until we run out, and then we'll burn whatever else we can find. And life will go on.

You can't hurt the Earth, pussies.

UCBeau

Blixa_Bargeld said:
No there isn't. You’re living in 1992. Not even the coal industry's paid shills say there isn’t global warming resulting from human activity. The only argument left is in regard to the degree of change.
True

f_rice

EFF GM AND CHRYSLER!!!!
Established Member
Blixa_Bargeld said:
Yeah, science is dumb. :rollseyes

Science is tremendous. A bunch of liberal environmental nuts inventing a crisis to stifle economic progress, scare the sh!t out of everyone, make us feel guilty and use the aforementioned invented crisis for political reason is not.

Global warming is aimed at idiot sheep waiting to be scared of the next big crisis.

It is surprising the Ann Arbor resident buys into this crap................ :rollseyes

Blixa_Bargeld

Notch-o Man
Established Member
So you believe a bunch of improvable conspiracy theories?
You just put your faith in something that provides no tests, no facts, and no possible evidence?
How did this idea gain such power over you?
How have you been so easily taken in?
Talk about sheep!

At least I have logic and proof. I can prove what I believe. You can’t.

FWIW, I’m not from AA. I’m just here getting an education. It’s something you should consider doing.

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Since when do we listen to Germans? All I want to do is drive their cars, drink their beer, and look at their women. That's about it.

When I want to listen to someone's thoughts on Global Warming...

Nevermind. I don't want to do that either.

spinscan

Established Member
Blixa_Bargeld said:
So you believe a bunch of improvable conspiracy theories?
You just put your faith in something that provides no tests, no facts, and no possible evidence?
How did this idea gain such power over you?
How have you been so easily taken in?
Talk about sheep!

At least I have logic and proof. I can prove what I believe. You can’t.

FWIW, I’m not from AA. I’m just here getting an education. It’s something you should consider doing.

Just for the hell of it, present some valid evidence of global warming.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
How stupid, why do all the countrys blame the U.S and Pres Bush for all the problems in the world.What about other countries causing globle warming,China,Mexico and many others who don't obay even the most basic enviromental laws.

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
CSCOBRA03 said:
How stupid, why do all the countrys blame the U.S and Pres Bush for all the problems in the world.What about other countries causing globle warming,China,Mexico and many others who don't obay even the most basic enviromental laws.
Hurricanes don't hit China :shrug: Seriously though I agree Im guessing we are one of the cleaner nations. :beer:

crew_dawg16

Established Member
I seriously think the whole global warming thing is :bs:. I highly doubt that anything we as humans do would impact this earth's climate in the slightest bit. Save detonating every single nuclear warhead in the world at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread