'The hell is going on with my horn?

qkslvr221

Established Member
My horn has been randomly not working for some reason. It's very strange, it either works loud and perfectly or not at all.

The #16 fuse is fine, and I can hear some kind of solenoid click when I press it and it's not working.

Any ideas? :mj:

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Be careful when you disconnect the air bag connector. Even with the main battery disconnected from the car, the srs system has it's own auxilary battery back-up and a spark from a disconnect can cause the air bag to blow. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the drain time on the auxilary is 25 min?

qkslvr221

Established Member
I would take the airbag off and inspect the horn switch underneath of it...

Alright, but before I do that I should mention that the remote can't make the horn go off either. When the horn doesn't work, the panic/2xlock buttons lock the doors but no beeps.

Hockeyman48

Established Member
I have a manual for my 94, probably same location for yours, I'll check and get back if someone else doesnt let you know.

Hockeyman48

Established Member
Its in your engine compartment fuse block. Mine is on driver side.Pull off top cover.it should be relay #2.Underside of cover shows which relay is #2.If it is clicking,the horn button circuit to the relay is working.I would try moving horn bracket on frame under front driver fender(horn location) and see if horn works. Or use substitute horn,or meter wires to horns for voltage. Frame of car provides the neg. lead to horn(horn mounting bracket) Good Luck!

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Be careful when you disconnect the air bag connector. Even with the main battery disconnected from the car, the srs system has it's own auxilary battery back-up and a spark from a disconnect can cause the air bag to blow. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the drain time on the auxilary is 25 min?

I don't think that is right. Just unhook the battery and pump the brakes. I've did some extensive research back in the day and never found anything on the waiting game you speak of.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
I don't think that is right. Just unhook the battery and pump the brakes. I've did some extensive research back in the day and never found anything on the waiting game you speak of.

Most modern 90'-present srs systems are required to have an auxiliary power supply, the auxiliary drain varies from make and model from 1 min. to 25 min.

On a quick search here is a General Procedures Tech for the 2005 Mustang that shows auxiliary power use.
http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10281/airbag safety.pdf

You can find more specific auxiliary drain procedures for the 90's mustang srs if you do more research......it's out there.

More quick search......
http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cach...ag+in+a+1996+mustang&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us

In this diagram you can see BACK-UP Power Supply 32-34volts
Air Bag Schematic for Code 13
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/airBag/images/airBag95Code13.jpg

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
just pull the batt. cables, touch both pos. and neg. together. it depletes all voltage from the pcm. even after that i would wait a few mins. you cant ever be to safe when messing with the SRS system. but back to the horn, you could have a relay going bad, horns themselves, or wiring issue.

Users who are viewing this thread