The first Mods!

Crusader

Established Member
I'm considering exhaust mods right away. Without regard to cost, which brand will provide the most torque, HP, and greatest sound? Would it be worth the trouble to try and have long tube headers installed (someone mentioned pulling out the motor?) I figure long tube headers, Hi flow H pipe, and cat back system... What exhaust mods will you do?

edz

Retired.
Established Member
While we are on the subject of sequential tail lights , does anyone know for sure what the taillights will be, the same as the 99's or the 2000's. One bulb two fillament or are there two separate bulbs with amber for the turn??? I have pictures of both on the 03's?????

B

blown03cobra

fr500 exhaust??? is that with an x pipe? also, would you guys swap out the headers or no............ also, whats this about te sequential tailights,,,, can yall post some links PLLLLEEEAAASSSEEE??? Im so out of the loop with mustang mods,, read my sig:( lol

i8u

Established Member
I had bbk long tubes on my S/C 98 cobra. I didn't have to pull to moter. I did have to raise it about 4 inch on each side to get clearance to slide in the headers. It was not easy. The moter not sits about 1-1/2 inches towards the passenger side. One other word shims!!! Once the headache of installation was over. All pain was cured by the sweet sound only a 4.6 4v w/ long tubes could make. GO FOR IT!

fangstang

Established Member
Dont get an H-pipe, you'll make more power with the X-pipe. This cobra already has enough torque down low. The X-pipe will give you mid-high RPM power. I worked wonders for my 2001!

Crusader

Established Member
H pipe and Long Tube

Brothers Performance was telling me that the X pipe won't fit with the long tube headers. The combo was the BBK hi flow H pipe with the BBk Long Tube Headers. Has anyone put this on their 2001? Everyone is always talking about the X pipe and it sounds good. But between the two - X pipe and shorty headers or H pipe and Long Tube Headers... I am unsure? CRZ8R.:coolman:

Yellow Horse

Established Member
VRS makes a shorty x-pipe for BBK LT's. I think Basssani has a pipe or adapter to be fitted to their x-pipe. Not sure. I did BBK's on my 01 with a BBK o/r h-pipe and I also bought a VRS catted x-pipe for inspections. BBK's and their o/r h-pipe makes a 4 valve sound meaner than hell. I bet I got over 100 compliments on the sound. It scared the hell out of C5 drivers.

Depending on how much power you want, an o/r x-pipe and cat back should get you about 20 plus crank HP on the 03. Hot Rod TV said they dynoed two at 370 rwhp so you are looking at about 450-60 crank hp with exhaust. I'll do headers later when I see what JDM or PHP is getting in the next few months. I have a Bassani x-pipe and cat back sitting on my floor right now. I still have no concrete info that an 01 x-pipe will fit the 03.

Last edited:

i8u

Established Member
I was just wondering if anyone would consider a larger throttle body to compliment pully/exaust mods. It might be worth it, especially if your running 12 psi. What do you guys think?

DMann

There's definitely untapped power in the 03 Cobra. The exhaust is the biggest thing, don't do anything else until you've done the exhaust.

A chip (done by someone who's already tuned the car) will pick you up a bunch of area under the torque curve (20-25lbft in places), and about 10-15rwhp peak.

Don't fear the gear, 4.10's. Wanna argue about gears, remember your new 03 Cobras have a 2.6 1st gear.

Take a hint from the L guys here, Johnny Lightning and his pulleys. Just do it. :)

And yes, the stupid "upshift" light can go away.

That's all for now.

Dom
www.rffperformance.com

Black Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by GTto03
JDM Longtubes/Exhaust
Chip 4# pulley
500RWHP!!!!!!!!!!!!! Call them! JDM rocks!:thumbsup:

Hey GTto03,
That 4# pulley, is that a lower pulley? Since you're going to be one of the first to pulley mod. You've been nominated to write the "How To" article with photos on the 4# Pulley Install :) Ya might as well include the Chip Install too :read:

Craig99SVT

Went to the Dark Side
Established Member
Originally posted by fangstang
Dont get an H-pipe, you'll make more power with the X-pipe. This cobra already has enough torque down low. The X-pipe will give you mid-high RPM power. I worked wonders for my 2001!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Pick your X or H pipe on which sounds better to you or depending on which mufflers you prefer. But please guys, stop putting out this X pipe is than better H pipe bullcrap! They make almost identical HP and TQ and the H for the longest time was well known for being the superior. But they are so close that it really doesn't matter which route you go. It seems the newer mustang guys swear by the X. :rollseyes: I gained 20rwhp from my O/R H pipe alone, so I know it works and works well. The choice in mid pipe is usually dictated by which muffler or catback you want to get not which gives more HP because they are basically equal.

Users who are viewing this thread