The Fellowship Among Cobra Owners

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
Today I went for a a little drive on my day off and I experienced something that put quite a smile on my face. I was cruising down a main road and I see the round fog lights of a cobra ahead coming the opposite direction. I think to myself wow, another cobra, probably a 2001. Well it was a silver 03 cobra, and the driver gave me a friendly wave. I replied with a salute back to him. The reason I made this thread is due to the fact that this isnt the first time it has happened to me. I always get waves and thumbs up from other cobras owners, 1996-2003. I never usually get a wave from the GT guys though. Do you guys get the feeling that cobra owners are more closer knit than the GT and v6 guys? I can definitely feel the fellowship here in california. Its almost like a brotherhood :beer: :burnout:

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Around here, its a blink of the lights, a thumbs up -- always Cobras, recent, but not 2003 Cobras -- because I still have not seen a 2003 on the road. Before, I was driving a Porsche. That group was not as tight as the Cobra group. I like it.
JW

03_silver_coupe

Established Member
Even the lightning guys are friendly. I have come across a couple of them and both gave a friendly wave. I think it might just be a SVT thing

MineralG03

Established Member
Cobra Buddies

Same thing has happened to me in South Florida. Always a wave or blinking of lights when I see another Cobra. Kinda of neat!

MineralG03

Snoker

Established Member
I get the same thing. Got it with my 01 Cobra and my 95 Lightning before that. But Corvette owners have done the same thing for decades.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Same here, always get and give waves from any Mustang around here.
At Fast Freddies in Salem Va. where there is a car show every week (weather permitting) most of us Mustang guys line up next to each other.
:thumbsup:

BoneCrusher

Established Member
That's funny, right after I got mine I was sitting at a light on the highway and a '03 Mineral Gray vert was coming from the other side. As he passed me we both kind of did a double take and as I look in my rear view and I see him waving w/ the top down as he passed me. Since then every time we pass each other on the way to work we always wave, haven't ever talked to him but it's cool. Kinda like Harley guys but a lot less of us.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I don't know... Most will give a thums up or nod... I ran across a chick in 99 cobra vert a awhile back when I still had my 01snake... Anyways she decided she wanted to test me... We proceeded from a dead stop... I had her by 5-6 cars easy, she kept trying, never getting close... She finally did the fly by with middle finger extended... This wasn't just any young sweet thing.. This lady was in her late thirties, early forties... I really just had to laugh... I knew my 01 would pack her sh*t, her car was BONESTOCK... But back on topic... Since getting the 03.... I have had countless thumb ups from other stangers and even some ricers :eek: This did happen near as often in the 01 cobra. :(

Last edited:

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Actually, I have had quite a few people wave to me - in Cobras, GT's, etc. One guy was in a 93 Cobra... we pulled up to a long light and talked for a bit... I thought it was cool that had the 93, and mine was an 03... I felt like we should have had some secret handshake or something... :)

ZXnVS

Established Member
For those of you that don't ride, it's the same thing with motorcyclists. If you see someone on a bike, you instantly know that even though the other guy might be a total stranger, you have a lot in common, and you wave.

Unfortunately, Harley guys frequently don't wave to guys on foreign bikes, and vice versa. The typical "us vs. them" thing.

There are probably too many V-6's and GT's on the road for most of them to feel any real kinship with other Stang owners, but Cobras are obviously much more rare.

COBRyan

Puts Out For Mod Money
Originally posted by ZXnVS
For those of you that don't ride, it's the same thing with motorcyclists. If you see someone on a bike, you instantly know that even though the other guy might be a total stranger, you have a lot in common, and you wave.

Unfortunately, Harley guys frequently don't wave to guys on foreign bikes, and vice versa. The typical "us vs. them" thing.

There are probably too many V-6's and GT's on the road for most of them to feel any real kinship with other Stang owners, but Cobras are obviously much more rare.

Very well put!

luvMy2003SVT

Established Member
I have yet to meet another 03 Cobra driver on the road, if I did I would give him a wave. Why, GT owners do not have the same kinship I think goes with this saying "Get a Cobra, GTs are a dime a dozen".

I do get alot of Ford drivers giving me the thumbs up.

Mustfang

Established Member
I think alot of the GT guys are , "Haters" because they are jealous or whatever. I have done several waves to regular GT drivers even some obviously modified Stangs and they either don't acknowledge me or give me a dirty look ! The last time I tried to be cool and do the "Brotherhood" thing to this moron in a Flowmaster equipped 98 GT, he got on it trying to impress his girlfriend ! I flat waxed his a** for that !!!!

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Originally posted by Mustfang
I think alot of the GT guys are , "Haters" because they are jealous or whatever.

:rollseyes

I tend to wave to any SVT, but they seem to ignore me. Seems like your theory is the other way around.

A lot of the nice stangs running around here are usually owned by younger (30 under) guys. And most are definitely cocky and arrogant. I try to wave or salute whenever I can, but most just don't return the favor. I think it's pathetic. I worked my ass off on my car, I'm proud of it, shouldn't others be?

fangstang

Established Member
I always get honks, waves, and friendly challenges( to see and hear my car run). There are only a few cobras in my town, 1 or 2 99's, myself and someother black 01, but I've yet to see any 03's in my area yet. I bet i'll see a few this summer. I always get looks from the lightning crew. Theres 2 of them In my town, 1 silver, 1 true blue(very hot color) Its an SVT respect thing. As for the GT guys, I always give respect to my fellow mustanger, but you gotta see the look on there faces when I fly right by them!

TXFLYME1

Pay No Attention
Established Member
Originally posted by 95oRANGEcRUSH
:rollseyes

I tend to wave to any SVT, but they seem to ignore me. Seems like your theory is the other way around.

A lot of the nice stangs running around here are usually owned by younger (30 under) guys. And most are definitely cocky and arrogant. I try to wave or salute whenever I can, but most just don't return the favor. I think it's pathetic. I worked my ass off on my car, I'm proud of it, shouldn't others be?

I would have to agree with this. All depending what side of town I'm on here in Austin, too. Most of the older folks will wave/acknowledge you, the youngers one just keep going thinking they are the sh!t.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Originally posted by dmreitz
Actually, I have had quite a few people wave to me - in Cobras, GT's, etc. One guy was in a 93 Cobra... we pulled up to a long light and talked for a bit... I thought it was cool that had the 93, and mine was an 03... I felt like we should have had some secret handshake or something... :)

I used to do alot of waving at other Cobras when I was in my '93. But I got few waves back. I think it had to do with the lack of recognition of the '93. After all, it looks like a GT to those who don't know what to look for.

thedutt

Established Member
aways wave to another cobra owner, even pull over to say hi. Who knows might be someone from this baord ;)
I got lots of thumbs ups from everyone on my last road trip to dallas. One guy actually took out his svt hat and waved at us :)

Users who are viewing this thread