The Clutch Whining?????

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
After we bought the Cobra from the dealer, like a week later I noticed when I press down the clutch pedal something starts whining and when I release the clutch pedal the whining goes away. I have heard that it is a throw out bearing or a pilot bearing. According to my circumstances do you now which it is or is it something way different.:shrug::shrug:

StiEtr

Established Member
Cool. Trust me a throw out bearing is easy to do on the cobras. Depending on what clutch/input shaft and throw out bearing retaining sleeve you have, might want to do it all now and be done with it. I just did and haven't owned mine more than 2 months.

Death to all DROIDS!

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
Just fixed the video in the last post, it should now work, before it was set private only:bored:, but now it is public.:banana:

:eek:If it still doesn't work let me know:eek:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you pulled the inspection cover off the trans? You can then see the throwout bearing and the sleeve it rides on. If if there's any pieces laying around in there. Also does the car shift fine other than the noise? Everything in there stock?

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
Have you pulled the inspection cover off the trans? You can then see the throwout bearing and the sleeve it rides on. If if there's any pieces laying around in there. Also does the car shift fine other than the noise? Everything in there stock?

No, I have not pulled the inspection cover of the transmission. I don't have any lifts, excerpts one tire jack;-), so is it still possible for me to do that. The car shifts very, it like finds the gears for you, but there is a clunk/thump in the back sometimes when shifting between 1&2. Just got the car I don't really know what has been changed to the transmission. But I know the differential was leaking and they put a temporary fix on it to sell it :fm:

Here is a picture of the differential:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwZtewH3J1bbWTNvRE9zVFBleVU/edit?usp=docslist_api

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
No, I have not pulled the inspection cover of the transmission. I don't have any lifts, excerpts one tire jack;-), so is it still possible for me to do that. The car shifts very, it like finds the gears for you, but there is a clunk/thump in the back sometimes when shifting between 1&2. Just got the car I don't really know what has been changed to the transmission. But I know the differential was leaking and they put a temporary fix on it to sell it :fm:

Here is a picture of the differential:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwZtewH3J1bbWTNvRE9zVFBleVU/edit?usp=docslist_api

If it's the cobra "clunk" it won't hurt anything, just annoying at most. Mine does that when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Not all the time though, some have been able to drive around it shifting at certain rpms. See if you can get a set of car ramps and then pull that tranny inspection cover off. You may need to actually jack the car up, then slide the ramps under the front tires.

StiEtr

Established Member
Pull the diff, replace bushings, drop trans and see what it has, and put a ford racing throw out bearing in.

Death to all DROIDS!

Zemedici

Established Member
May as well replace everything if you're going to drop the transmission. Have it all new. If they doctored up the diff to sell it, lord only knows about the transmission :(

I had to replace my flywheel and ring gear, and I did the pressure plate, both bearings as well

Last edited:

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
May as well replace everything if you're going to drop the transmission. Have it all new. If they doctored up the diff to sell it, lord only knows about the transmission :(

I had to replace my flywheel and ring gear, and I did the pressure plate, both bearings as well

Well the owner before me was a mechanic and he probably sealed it up, because the car has not been to Ford shop in years, they said that he did most of all the work. So the Ford shop shouldn't do what he did. I hope!:??:

Last edited:

StiEtr

Established Member

Oops stupid iPhone.

Last edited:

StiEtr

Established Member

Listen to this guy! I just bought mine, diff leaked an clunked, and tob raised hell. Now MM bushings,3.73 gears, 26 spline input shaft, mgw shifter, new clutch cable, fidanza flywheel with steel insert, and a couple other things. Best to do it right and do it once.

Also think about replacing the tob retaining sleeve.

Death to all DROIDS!

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
Listen to this guy! I just bought mine, diff leaked an clunked, and tob raised hell. Now MM bushings,3.73 gears, 26 spline input shaft, mgw shifter, new clutch cable, fidanza flywheel with steel insert, and a couple other things. Best to do it right and do it once.

Death to all DROIDS!

Yeah his was very helpful, thanks, the last owner took care of the appearance of the car, but he didn't take care of engine, transmission, or IRS. I all ready fixed the engine. So I am now working hard to fix the other two.

StiEtr

Established Member
Yeah his was very helpful, thanks, the last owner took care of the appearance of the car, but he didn't take care of engine, transmission, or IRS. I all ready fixed the engine. So I am now working hard to fix the other two.

What was with the engine. I had the SAME issues.

Death to all DROIDS!

03_SVT COBRA

Established Member
What was with the engine. I had the SAME issues.

Death to all DROIDS!

Well first it has engine codes of P0171 & P0174, lean on both banks of the engine.
Found out that the PCV hose was pinched, so we got a new hose. Next the car ran fine for a week, then it would randomly stall when ever you pressed the clutch pedal. Very scary because you lose power steering and powered brakes:cryying: . After many engine diagnostic testing, found out the idle air control was busted, replaced that and it seems to of have fixed the problem.:lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread