The case of a stinky ac/vent system

alcogt11

Hello,
It's been couple months now since I got a new to me 2011 GT. Since couple days after getting it the ac started to smell bad, I guess the seller used some sort of smell masking spray to hide that during the sale, but anyways. The smell was really bad. It smelled like a chemical and combined with really bad BO.

So far I have used 5 cans of Lysol, 2 packs of Kool-It Evaporator and Heater Foam Cleaner, steam cleaner, ozone machine and nature's miracle. Each one seemed to help reduce the nasty smell. It is not out yet completely. The ac smell went away, now the only smell is when the ac is off but the normal air is on.

Do you guys have any ideas what to do next? I'm getting a bit tired of spraying Lysol into the system, but it seems to have the most effect on the smell. The kool it cleaner did an ok job, I couldn't get it inside the system correctly due to the duo drain tubes. The cleaner would just drip out the other side and now really get deep inside the system.

alcogt11

How would one get in? I looked at the air filter and there is a wire mesh covering the whole entrance/intake and it has no holes in it.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
The HVAC tubing needs to be pulled and inspected. Mice can get in places you would NEVER think they could. Had 2 cars affected, cost me thousands.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Not looking forward to this. I have considered this the last option to pull the dash and remove the whole ac system. How would you describe the smell?

They used the ducting to store seeds & nest. The big money was from the bastards chewing on random wires that had to be chased down. When you said it smelled like B.O., it reminded me of what i smelled.

alcogt11

Forgot to mention in first post. Changed it months ago.

Anyone had luck using like those foaming evaporator cleaners?

Thanks for the tips :)

TrickLittlePony

Established Member
Check below the cabin filter along the bottom of the firewall. There is a rubber flap that can get clogged with debris and not let water drain properly.

5lho

Established Member
The evaporator is likely saturated and gone funky. You may wish to enlist the help of an AC shop.

Users who are viewing this thread