The car will not shift now...help!!!

Hunter6

Established Member
After work driving the car home I notice it takes a lot more umphh to get it into gear. By the time I get home it will not go into revearse. I let the car sit for an hour and went out...no problem shifting!?!? What's going on???:shrug:

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
Good Question....
Could be your cluch....or fluid loss in your trans
Either way take it to the dealer, unless your like me with NO warranty lol

Hunter6

Established Member
This may be a real dumb question but bear with me...how can I check for fluid loss?

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Hunter6
This may be a real dumb question but bear with me...how can I check for fluid loss?
Do you have any ATF (auto trans fluid) on the ground where you park?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by Hunter6

Easy...check for leaks. Actually, this sounds like a problem with the synchro's.

svt03cobra10th

Established Member
Mine was doing the same thing, took it to the dealer, they looked at it, called SVT and found out that my car was the 6th in the nation to have this problem. The pressure plate failed. SVT sent out a service kit that included a new (redesigned) pressure plate, throw out bearing, clutch disk and new aluminum flywheel.

Works great now, that was about 9500 miles ago.

Last edited:

lguerra1

Established Member
When you get it to act up, turn the car off, and while holding the clutch in, see if it falls into gear. If it does, that means it is typically a clutch concern. If it doesn't, you are looking at something in the tranny.

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
I had a similar problem. I just reset the clutch and everything has been good since.

Hunter6

Established Member
Sorry for being ignorant but...how do you reset the clutch?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by svt03cobra10th
Mine was doing the same thing, took it to the dealer, they looked at it, called SVT and found out that my car was the 6th in the nation to have this problem. The pressure plate failed.
Works great now, that was about 9500 miles ago.

D@mned pressure plate. :nonono: :nonono:

:shrug: That's as odd as a 3-legged dog.

silvercoffin

Established Member
CLUTCH

For me it started to happen and gradually get worse after I smoked the clutch....just a little trying to power brake it before I got line locs..

Rev was real hard to get it into and 1st was a bit harder....gradually after racing it 1st got worse and worse and then third.....finally after NO HELP FROM LOCAL FORD DEALERS...i just had Crazyhorse install a new clutch and it has been fine ever since with weekly trips to the track.

This was in June of 02....all that I could find available then was Ford Racing clutch.....Centerforce didnt have one yet for the 03 as far as I knew and I had not heard of SPec yet...

I smoked it bad once more with the new clutch before finally getting line locs and the new clutch survived that...:nonono:

Hunter6

Established Member
I tried it out today and the car shifts fine. WTF? I only drove it for a little while. How could it go tits up on me yesterday and be fine today?

silvercoffin

Established Member
hey

THATS EXACtly how mine was!

If I let it sit all day or even for several hours there was a difference. ALl day or over night and it would seem fine. BUT after shifting alot and running it hard it would get hard again...

Its the clutch... you need a new one.

I got real mad at one of the two dealers I brought it to, who let it sit all day and then told me nothing was wrong with it! BY the time I got home the car wouldnt shift into 1st or rev...

Users who are viewing this thread