The "Black Ghost" scam

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
Hmmm, not really. Maybe just delete the 'TX2K' and leave it "the TX street race scene". The TX2K is a unique and special race venue that attracts racers from all over versus it being regular local street racing.

Yeah no. Before all this hype and exaggeration, it was never portrayed as the fastest car in det in setup races. Like i said in my previous post, it was a stop light to stop light car. That’s really it.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
I’m from SE Michigan, born and raised as well. The story is not new. Its decades old and generally speaking, if you spent anytime on Woodward or Telegraph you probably heard about it so to speak. Even 30-40 years later. Usually bits a pieces. My uncles and dad participated in those areas during the early to mid 70’s and knew about it.

From my understanding and what i heard over the years, it was a stop light car. He wasn’t setting up races. It was at random. Stop light to stop light. Yes there were some truly fast cars in Detroit during that time but the majority of the cars on the street doing random stop light to stop light races were not all 10 second cars. What made the car famous to my knowledge is the fact it was a black hemi car, it was supposedly drove by a cop and it beat 1-2 cars that up until that point were known to be pretty quick. I have no idea what they were. Then of course it would only pop up once in awhile. Point is, i think its been blown out of proportion to a degree. As in not completely fake, but not 100% accurate either. The car was also rumored to not be stock during that time period but returned to stock years later.

I think some are wayyyyyyyy over thinking this and really interpreting as if it was the fastest car in Detroit. I get as of late the story is being broadcasted everywhere in the collector car scene and may be embellished to a degree but the story has been around for decades prior to any of this. Its kinda crazy to me this story even got as big as it did.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I completely agree with this! I'm from SE MI too...spent a lot of time on Telegraph & Detroit in the mid to late 80's. Every Friday & Saturday night we would be 4 wide (Mustangs, Camaros, Trans Am's, Super/Turbo Coupes, Grand National's, Vettes), so many great roll & street light races. Miss those days... That said, there was 2-3 am racing where 9-10 sec cars were trailed in and were racing for fat money.

I checked with a few of my older buddies that raced in Detroit in the 70's. None were aware of this car. I'm sure it was just street light racing as I experienced. He probably won a lot of races against stock or lightly modded cars and being a Detroit cop sure adds to this story.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread