"The Bitch" might be on her way to a rebuild

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
Put insurance back on her and took her out for the first time today. Changed the oil and to my surprise...I see some shiny flecks in the oil when the sun hit the pan as I was draining the pan after the change. Not sure what to think at this point. There was no "metal" that I could actually feel. Maybe it is the coating? Don't know but I cannot even afford a rebuild at this point so if the motor is going...I'm runnin' her to the ground and hope she lasts this year and hopefully I can come up with the quid for next year. What do you guys think? Shiny specs in the oil = bad?

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Did you save the oil? Why not send it out for an analysis? Then you will know for sure. Shelbyguy (and others) posted the name of the company they use...

Hope it turns out well.

quikfix

Established Member
MidLifeC said:
Did you save the oil? Why not send it out for an analysis? Then you will know for sure. Shelbyguy (and others) posted the name of the company they use...

Hope it turns out well.
Good idea, maybe compression test in the mean time. Good luck Brent!

WhippleCharged Sonic

Established Member
MidLifeC said:

Hope it turns out well.

I did, but I drained it from the pan to my big sealed pan that has had oil from my other cars in it so to me it would be "contaminated". I still have the filter which may give me the 4oz's they need to test, but ideally they want it from the pan.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Established Member
quikfix said:
Good idea, maybe compression test in the mean time. Good luck Brent!

Yeah, I might do a compression test..been wanting to for the hell of it anyways. She still runs good, so there is nothing that makes me think the motor is going with the exception of those flecks I saw in the oil. Who knows. I guess I can say if it is going that I beat the hell out of for 4 years and 10.5k miles...:D

It's been pullied since it was about 4 months old and Whippled for 2 years now. Lots 'o' quarter runs. We shall see when I have time to mess with it, but until then I am just going to drive the shit out it.

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Just consider it saving weight in the engine bay!!!!
I'm with you... run it until it's hurt then go from there.
What else you gonna do!

JP

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
My shortblock is at MP right now. All the pistons looked ok. A couple cylinders looked like they were running rich looking at the bottom of the cyl heads. It was probably from all the damn oil being burnt. The heads are getting ported then they will go to MP for valves/valvejob/crower valvetrain. I might put some lincoln mark 8 cams in for a cheap upgrade. They have a little more duration and the intake valves open at different times and close at the same time. It helps with the swirl effect. I have a line on a mark 8 engine with the harness and computer but it's down in Ft. Lauderdale. Either that or crower stage 2's:shrug: .

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I got specs in my oil, but I don't think it was anything. I had it from the first oil change. However, there is a distinct possibility that my specs may have been left over in the pan from changing the oil on my DD. I'd say just run it till it breaks or you notice something else wrong. If it ain't broke (yet) don't fix it.

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Could also be shrapnel left over from your half-shaft.
LOL

shrap·nel
(plural shrap·nels)
noun
1. fragments from an explosive device:
metal balls or metal fragments that are scattered when a shaft, gear, or diff cover explodes on a Cobra

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

---JP---
hidesbehindsofa.gif

WhippleCharged Sonic

Established Member
I ain't skeerd! It still drives like it always has and I ain't touchin it until it is undrivable. Until then I am going to work on finding the annoying squeak in the rear everytime I hit the slightest bump or when I push down on the rear of the car. Other then that I am ready to race this bitch.

Oh and JP....:lol: I see a SRA in my somewhat near future I do believe!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread