The best Street Tire your NOT using

rmoreau

Established Member
Hi gang,

Like many of you I drive my Cobra daily.

I have owned many cars and have bought many different tires and brands.
Last month it was time to get new tires as mine have worn down.

I want to tell you all about a tire that I have used on all my BIG cars.

The Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra plus.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ch=false&partnum=74ZR7EHPUPL&fromCompare1=yes

Mind you this is a street tire for daily driving, not a track/drag radial.

For the last 10 years I have had as my daily driver 3 Buick Le Sabre's. I've put well over 130k miles on each. Ive tried Bridgestone Turanza ( I like, but too much $$), a few other goodyears that sucked ( Reatta, RS, etc.), and Dunlops. These never stayed on the car more than a day. I soon found the Eagle HP's and tried them. I can't tell you how much they improved the big sedans performance. Grip, handling, dry and wet traction, longevity, all excellent. I have bought 4 sets and have reccommended them to several co-workers. Everyone has had extremly high marks for these tires on BIG cars.

The Le Sabre weighs 3400# roughly. I really wanted to try them out on the Cobra before I went to the other common offerings we have discussed.

I AM SO GLAD I DID!!!

Ive had them for 3k miles and so far they have lived up to every expectation. They are just as impressive on this car as they were on the Buick.

Traction is better off the line and in fast corners ( streetlights, fast left turns where I like to slide the rear out, freeway on and off ramps, etc.) than the OEMs.

My only reccomendation is to get all four in the 285 rather than 275. The 275 are fine up front, buit in the rear they just look a teeny tad smaller in the width than the OEM. If you dont mind having the 2 different sizes, use the 275 up front for improved steering feel and 285 out back for looks, but honestly, you dont need it for anything other than looks.

Ill try to post some pics tonight comparing HPs to the OEM's.

Have fun whatever you choose.

Randy

Last edited:

WHITESNAKEVERT

Established Member
Randy,

About a year ago I saw that Sears had the Eagle HPs for an unbelieveable price. I took my daily driver (MKVIII LSC) and had a set installed. I barely made it 3 blocks before I noticed that they were vibrating the car really bad. I took the car back and they replaced 2 of the tires saying that they were very O/R (out of round). I drove home and, while it was better, the vibration was still pretty bad. I dropped off the car the following day and when I picked it up they advised me that they could not find 4 round tires to mount on the car. They had ordered 4 additional tires with the intention to mount the best 4 on the car but the tires delivered were worse then what was already unacceptable on the car. They offered to give me a set of Michelins for the same price and they were great with NO vibration. It was a shame because I really loved the look of the HPs and the specs made it sound like a terrific tire. Don't know if Goodyear had a bad batch of or if this was a Sears problem.

rmoreau

Established Member
Must just be Sears, or maybe that's why the unbelivable price??

I always buy from Discount Tire/ America's Tire (just because they are close, and use Torque wrench's)

Ive never had a problem like that. You woud think the Ballancer would catch the out of round? New machines do ( HUNTER Road-force balance??)

Try 'em again. I know I will.

By the way, I do "some" OT and a few Drag's. Im looking forward to see how these perform under those stresses. (Remember....these are street tires)

Randy

rmoreau

Established Member
Sorry for the long lag in pics.

I thought I had a few of the F1's to show for comparison, but I dont.

Here is the look from the rear

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
Yokohoma ES100....i love them...awesome in the rain and dry traction is superb...good enough for me to cut 1.8 60ft consisently.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I've also had very bad luck with GoodYear tires and will never buy them again.

The first set I had on a Celica. All four were out of round and got worse with age.

The second set was on my 99 GT. They were the Gatorbacks that came with the car. One was defective and had tread separation, plus they were terrible in the rain.

The third set is on my Cobra (Eagle F1's). One is defective and is so noisy that I must keep it mounted on the rear to lessen the noise. This prevents proper rotation since I can't move this one tire. Plus they have flat spots in the morning and might be the cause of some vibration.

Goodyear makes absolute junk IMO.

I was thinking of trying some Firehawks. They get good ratings and I had them on one of my Mustang's. They were pretty good and stuck like glue.

Long Road

Established Member
Originally posted by lRageATMl
Yokohoma ES100....i love them...awesome in the rain and dry traction is superb...good enough for me to cut 1.8 60ft consisently.

I agree. I have the es1000 also... super cheap from tire rack at $123 each and they look better than the stock f1's and so far wear alot better.

I don't see any track time with em though.

also think that 275/40/17 is the largest width they offer in this tire model

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Check out sams club I found out they will order allot more tires than they show,

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv
Check out sams club I found out they will order allot more tires than they show,
True. Got my BFG DR's(275/40/17) there for $138/ea, total $302 mounted and balanced.....

Users who are viewing this thread