The best facts on a 2019 Shelby GT350 (great car)

Established Member
I said the same thing in another post, except of course I just bought a set of daily rims and tires and kept and definitely love the cup2's on the track.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Is that a question?

I bought a GT350.....that is the answer.
It was a poorly written post. ;)

I was trying to humorous since the Mustang and 911 are still around now for 54 years (only the Corvette has a longer production--since 1953). All three were doing many things very well.

Again, my post was stupid as I read it today.

Rjay

Established Member
Why Ford chose to give us a tire that fights us when steering and hunts and seeks over every irregularity on the roads we all travel is a mystery to me.
I think this is all about marketing and the automotive media. Ford wanted the best track tire on the 2019 GT350 that was also street legal. Heck, they even collaborated with Michelin on the compound and the tires are branded "FP"! Automotive magazines and the internet sell more cars than posters in a dealership - look at the overwhelming approval of the 2019 GT350 after the media day they hosted in Michigan - and every one of those videos and every article talked about the superior qualities of the SC2's.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
This article conveniently leaves out the fact that these new Cup 2's on the 2019 GT350 tramline like a mother and add significant resistance to steering wheel input.... I unloaded the Cup 2's and put on Michelin PS A/S 3's and the steering returned to normal feed back and resistance. The tramlining disappeared and the car is now far more pleasurable to drive.

In my experience, the roads get worse as they get in colder climates. Our roads in Georgia are good in the roads that I drive on (those are not roads in the downtown Atlanta area which are the worst roads) are very good.

We also have six mountain tops in GA that have nice roads (a mountain top is called a gap in GA).
SixGapRG.gif

The even have a website:
Six Gap North Geogia – Wolfpen Gap, Woody Gap, Neels Gap, Hogpen Gap, Unicoi Gap, Jacks Gap

We are also not far from the NC/TN border where the Tail of the Dragon is (it also has it's own website). The Dragon is really crowded during the day. The best plan is to stay nearby in Tallassee, TN and drive the road up and down at first light. And again and again until it gets crowded.

I wish I could have bought your tires. :D

No worries as there are many great roads around the area (keep your gas topped off).

03reptile

Established Member
I think the Porsche 986 (the 1st gen Boxster) is a little light on performance at VIR. It is really good at a technical track like Barbara in AL.

The Shelby GT350 is perfect when tearing up the hill towards to Oak Tree Turn with using the track's fast car capability.

I have the 2019 Shelby GT350 which was devolved with the help of Billy Johnson who also drove a Ford GT at La Mans (he was also fast in any S550 Mustang).

Voodoo8.jpg
This article conveniently leaves out the fact that these new Cup 2's on the 2019 GT350 tramline like a mother and add significant resistance to steering wheel input. Even at the comfort mode the steering requires quite a bit of heft on correction inputs. These tires are fine for a smooth race track that doesn't have pot holes and pavement breaks but in the real world we all know the condition of many of our roads, and it's crappy. I think the majority of the GT350 owners drive their cars on public streets with an occasional trip to the track. Why Ford chose to give us a tire that fights us when steering and hunts and seeks over every irregularity on the roads we all travel is a mystery to me. I unloaded the Cup 2's and put on Michelin PS A/S 3's and the steering returned to normal feed back and resistance. The tramlining disappeared and the car is now far more pleasurable to drive.
I think this is all about marketing and the automotive media. Ford wanted the best track tire on the 2019 GT350 that was also street legal. Heck, they even collaborated with Michelin on the compound and the tires are branded "FP"! Automotive magazines and the internet sell more cars than posters in a dealership - look at the overwhelming approval of the 2019 GT350 after the media day they hosted in Michigan - and every one of those videos and every article talked about the superior qualities of the SC2's.
You're exactly right. Marketing. Everyone who raves about them gained that insight from track time. Not the shitty secondary roads like we have here in Maryland!

WVTrakPak

Established Member
It was a poorly written post. ;)

I was trying to humorous since the Mustang and 911 are still around now for 54 years (only the Corvette has a longer production--since 1953). All three were doing many things very well.

Again, my post was stupid as I read it today.

Done the same when looking back at my posts too.

Users who are viewing this thread