The best digi Camera under $600

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
I know this might not be the best place for this but most of the Photo guys check this section the most.

I'm very close to buying a bundle package of the Nikon 40D. Great camera for starters, takes great pics, and the HDR is amazing.

IDEAS?

4fit?

Established Member
The Nikon is a D40, not a 40D. The 40D is a much more expensive Canon. The D40 is a very good camera for starters. You mentioned HDR. Just remember, HDR requires capturing 3+ images at different exposure settings. This is best done through the use of the cameras bracketing feature. Unfortunately, the D40 does not have a bracketing feature, so the exposure adjustments have to be done between takes.

That being said, the D40 is a damn good camera, especially for it's price. If you could go a little higher, I'd recommend the D80. In your price range, you might also want to look at the Canon XTi 400D. It is a 10.2mp camera and is very good as well.

The D40 and Canon Rebel series are very small SLRs. In fact, I don't really care for the way they feel in my hand. They are both so small that my pinky, and almost all of my ring finger, are placed underneath the camera when holding it. In contrast, my whole hand is kept on the grip when holding a D70, D80, 40D, etc. Before you decide to take the plunge, be sure to go into a store where you can hold and test the cameras you are considering. Feel can be a major contributing factor to which model you decide to go with.

Other cameras to look at in your range would be the Sony Alpha 350 or one of the Olympus Evolts. Only thing with those is that they do not have no where near the amount of lenses and accessories as the Nikon and Canon models. However, the Sony and others do benefit from having built in image stabilization, whereas the Nikon and Canon depend on the IS/VR to be built into the lens, which can cause some pretty hefty lens price tags.

OK. Enough rambling. For the record, I don't even own a dSLR, but I have been researching/studying photography in my spare time for the past several years.

HTH

Last edited:

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
wow, i cant thank you enough for the incredible feedback! Im going to head into the camera store and try them out next time im down that way!

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
I have a D40 and absolutely love it. I would suggest going to the camera shop and hold each camera to see which feels better in your hands. The first time I held a canon I knew I would never buy one. Nikon just felt better for me.

Be careful as this hobby will get expensive really quick (but its totally worth it IMO). I know it did for me....I'm always in search of faster glass. (see sig).

Last edited:

mstg46

Established Member
I just bought the Sony Alpha A200 for $569 at Best Buy. I haven't used it much, but I really like it so far. I bought it simply because I like Sony products and it was a good price. The other mentioned cameras are great also.

R1Lello

Established Member
Nikon D80 for me. All my life it's been Nikon and 80-90% of pro's use Nikon, the rest use Canon..............as for the other brands, who knows

caleb_cook

Established Member
disagree

Nikon D80 for me. All my life it's been Nikon and 80-90% of pro's use Nikon, the rest use Canon..............as for the other brands, who knows

What color of lenses do you see at most sporting events or with photo-journalists?

Answer: WHITE. It's Canon. More pros shoot Canon. They have a much bigger selection of glass...

Even though Nikon has come out with the D3 that is pretty BA...

Last edited:

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
The D80 is super nice but i think WAYYYYY overkill for what im looking for. I don't really go out of my way to take pictures i would just like to take some really nice stuff when we're out and about. Basically even the D40 is overkill for me, but because i have an old Camera to trade in (really nice back in it's day) it won't cost me too much extra.

03dsgsnake

Established Member
The D80 is super nice but i think WAYYYYY overkill for what im looking for. I don't really go out of my way to take pictures i would just like to take some really nice stuff when we're out and about. Basically even the D40 is overkill for me, but because i have an old Camera to trade in (really nice back in it's day) it won't cost me too much extra.

mY WIFE JUST GOT ME THE NEW KODAK EASY SHARE 14 MP HD AND HD VIDEO CAMERA WITH THE SHNEIDER OPTICAL ZOOM LENS! FN AWESOME CAMERA FOR THE MONEY WATCHING VIDEOS ON THE BIG SCREEN IN HI DEF IS AWESOME IM SOLD:rockon:

4fit?

Established Member
When you decide which camera to go with, I would strongly consider purchasing it from BuyDig.com. They have the best prices out there and very good customer service to boot. A friend of mine who does wedding photography makes all her purchaces through them.

Nikon D40 Digital SLR Camera Kit w/ 18-55mm Zoom Lens and Free 2GB Memory Card - $459.00

Nikon D60 Digital SLR Outfit w/ 18-55mm VR Zoom with Free Sandisk 2gb Ultra 2 Card - $649.99

If you have the exrta coin to spare, you might want to really consider the new D60 over the D40. It has a much higher mp count (not really all that important) and it comes with a VR (vibration reduction) kit lens. If you want those tack-sharp images that you see some posting on here, VR is a big help.

Then again Ken Rockwell loves the D40 and actually prefers it over the D60. It's all preference. You could always try to find a D40 body and pick up a VR lens.

4fit?

Established Member
Woah, thanks for that link... that's a great price.

Did I read that right, the D40 is only 6.1mp? My point and shoot Kodak that I use is 6.1mp.... I know D40s take way better pictures though... weird. (excuse my noobness).

Yes, the D40 is only 6.1mp. The D40x steps up to a 10mp sensor as does the new D60. However, megapixel count is really not as important as many think. Unless you are planning to make tons of 20x30 poster prints, a 6mp camera will suffice just fine.

Megapixel Myth

Raymond

slower than you
Established Member
Yes, the D40 is only 6.1mp. The D40x steps up to a 10mp sensor as does the new D60. However, megapixel count is really not as important as many think. Unless you are planning to make tons of 20x30 poster prints, a 6mp camera will suffice just fine.

Megapixel Myth

That's what I figured, just needed the reassurance. Thanks for all the help man. So you think the D40 would be good for someone wanting a DSLR on a budget? The only other camera I see in the price range is the Rebel XT and a bunch of Olympus'.... so the D40 is looking pretty good to me, especially considering how many lenses and whatnot are available for them should I want to upgrade later on.

GodStang

Established Member
The Canon XTi is 589 with 1 lens from bhphoto.com it is 10.1 MP. pretty decent SLR camera.

4fit?

Established Member
That's what I figured, just needed the reassurance. Thanks for all the help man. So you think the D40 would be good for someone wanting a DSLR on a budget? The only other camera I see in the price range is the Rebel XT and a bunch of Olympus'.... so the D40 is looking pretty good to me, especially considering how many lenses and whatnot are available for them should I want to upgrade later on.
Yes, the D40 would certainly make a good camera for someone just entering the dSLR world on a budget. The Rebel XT (350D) is actually a pretty good camera as well. Since the release of the Rebel XSi (450D), the XTi (400D) has taken the XT's (350D) place as the entry-level SLR from Canon, and the XT is no longer in the lineup.

As I, and others, have said before, make sure to go to a store where you can hold and test the cameras before you buy. The feel of the camera is VERY important and many users find the Canon Rebel line to be too small to comfortably hold in your hand. The same has been said about the D40 as well.

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
Thanks for those links, maybe ill check out the D60, might be perfect for at the track and all of the great burnout pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread