The basics for beginners on paint correction.

03sm3341

Established Member
Alright, First off, you can not get a good finish with out a buffer. PERIOD! So step one.

1. Get a porter cable 7424xp. Best detailing tool for a beginner hands down. If you don't get one just forget about it. Your wasting your time.

2. Get a polishing kit from some place lethal, autogeek ect. This will come with your pads and a backing plate for the porter cable 7424xp. Also should come with pad cleaner. USE it more on this later. Also get GOOD microfiber towels. The more plush the better. Don't cheap out on these.

3. Get meguires m105 and m205 polishes. These are what will save your paints life. I use these and they work great. I'd get these, but what ever brad you go with STICK WITH THEM! The brands have system of polishes in different grades. Do not leave the system!

Now you have your tools. These will cost you a couple hundred dollars. Money well spent!
So you have your black car there looking like charlottes web.

step 4. Wash the car well with dawn. This will strip all the wax and such from your paint. You must have a good pallet to work with.

5. Now you've striped the wax. Clay the car. This will remove more junk than you thought possible.

6. Now you've prepped your paint for paint correction.

7. Get your pc 7424xp with your orange pad. Put 4 pea sized drops on it and set the tool to a speed of 5. Dobb the non running tool in a 2ft by 2ft area to spread the polish. The turn on your tool while with contact with the paint. Move it quickly over the area you are working. You have now primed your working area.

8. Move your tool on speed 5 in your 2ft by 2ft area at a pace of 10sec a pass. work this in a cross hatch pattern. Until your polish flashes. This occurs when your ploish appears to be gone. As in the paint shows though the polish as if it were not there any more. Wipe and inspect. If you need more hit it again. I used about 4 passes and inspect. Passes are different depending on the damage in the area you are working. Do not work the ploish past the point of flash.

9. Adding more polish to your pad. Use 3 pea sized drops.

10. Once the car is done with the m105 switch to the white pad with m205. M205 cleans up the damage caused by the m105. Repeat the above steps.

11. Once your happy with the results which you will be. Take the car outside and look for swirl marks in the sun. If there are any work the area with m205 until there gone.

12 At this point, this is as good as the paints getting. If you still have scratches wet sanding is needed. For a driver car I would'nt waste the money. This sould be handled by a pro.

13. Wax the car, Or use a sealant for the longest protection. I used meguires nxt wax. In the future I will use a meguires mirror glaze line wax. Really Just use a good wax.

Things to note:
m105 gets dusty, if it does sprits the area with detail spray.
This will take you a LONG time so be ready to take many hours if not days to do.
work 2ft by 2ft areas at a time. rome was'nt built in a day Take your time!
You MUST clean your pads right after using. Don't wait you will not only trash the pad, if you go to use it again it will be a dusty mess.
TAKE CARE OF YOUR PAINT! I can not say this enough.

If you follow these steps you will greatly improve your paint. You can do this at home in a garage. Just give it a shot. A pc 7424xp is the safest polisher out there. You CAN not hurt your paint.

Watch these video's. This is how I learned to do this. I have met the Junkman myself awesome man full of good knowledge. Do what he says and you will have nice paint.
The Junkman - YouTube

I did this car personally with the tools I mentioned above. I did it, So can you!
P.S. If you don't plan on keeping up with it or suspect you won't keep up with it. Sit back and enjoy the swirls, because if you don;t change your ways they will come right back. bottom line.

1221of1_zps22b3253a.jpg

1321of1_zps160a1cef.jpg

1121of1_zpsf6572162.jpg

2321of1_zpse85cc66a.jpg

2121of1_zpsf8d1378d.jpg

1421of1_zpsbaf07e08.jpg

1621of1_zps8b24cbf4.jpg

1721of1_zpsfc9e4855.jpg

2021of1_zpsa1756475.jpg

2221of1_zpscd3714bd.jpg

2621of1_zpse919d512.jpg

done521of1_zps0f720392.jpg

done1021of1_zps2d04c650.jpg

done621of1_zpsba8ed35f.jpg

821of1_zps769b8502.jpg

Last edited:

oneslo5.0

Established Member
Can you break down pads, this as dumb as it sounds confuses me the most. What to use, when and with what.

TransAxle

Shine Auto Salon
Established Member
Answers in red below

Alright, First off, you can not get a good finish with out a buffer. PERIOD! So step one.

1. Get a porter cable 7424xp. Best detailing tool for a beginner hands down. If you don't get one just forget about it. Your wasting your time. PC is not the best. You wont go wrong with the Griots. Its 500 OPM's stronger and just as easy to use. Also, buy the buffers by themselves, the kits are a waste of money other than the 3 pads you get.

2. Get a polishing kit from some place lethal, autogeek ect. This will come with your pads and a backing plate for the porter cable 7424xp. Also should come with pad cleaner. USE it more on this later. Also get GOOD microfiber towels. The more plush the better. Don't cheap out on these.

3. Get meguires m105 and m205 polishes. These are what will save your paints life. I use these and they work great. I'd get these, but what ever brad you go with STICK WITH THEM! The brands have system of polishes in different grades. Do not leave the system! Not entirely true. You can use different products from different combos for better results. But, if you are learning, 105/205 is a great combo to stick with.

Now you have your tools. These will cost you a couple hundred dollars. Money well spent!
So you have your black car there looking like charlottes web. Couple hundred dollars translates into about $400-500.

step 4. Wash the car well with dawn. This will strip all the wax and such from your paint. You must have a good pallet to work with. Be careful when using Dawn. Yes it is a great professional trick to quickly strip paint, but if its too concentrated and dries on your paint it can cause slight chemical stains. Best to do this wash method in the shade.

5. Now you've striped the wax. Clay the car. This will remove more junk than you thought possible.Now when it comes to claying, most any quick detailer will work. Depending on how bad your paint is will change up the grade of clay you need. If your paint after washing feels like sand paper, then you will need a medium grade clay and at least 100g's of it to do your whole car. If your paint feels ever so slightly rough, then a light grade will be fine.

6. Now you've prepped your paint for paint correction.Now you have prepped your paint, but you are far from prepped to start correction. 105 is a strong compound and will stain plastics and rubbers if you buff onto them. Get a roll of 1" and .5" Meguiars or 3M masking tape and tape up all plastics/trims.

7. Get your pc 7424xp with your orange pad. Put 4 pea sized drops on it and set the tool to a speed of 5. Dobb the non running tool in a 2ft by 2ft area to spread the polish. The turn on your tool while with contact with the paint. Move it quickly over the area you are working. You have now primed your working area. Most DA's are going to use 6" Pads. So when your buying, 6" pads are what you will need. To do a general job that should make you happy, Lake COuntry buffing pads should be all you need. As someone asked, the colors for the Lake Country pads are from heaviest to lightest cut... Yellow, Orange, White, Blue, Red and Gold. For most compound you will need either the Orange or Yellow depending on how bad your paint is. As for priming, starting out with a 6" line on your pad, then use your finger to move it around the face of the pad to cover the face. Then 2-3 pea sized drops on the face, start your buffer at 3-4 speed and quickly cover your area with the product. Once you cover your area turn the buffer up to speed 5-6 and start working in a up down, left right pattern. You want to have one hand on the head of the buffer using between 10-12lbs of pressure. Working in a slow pace, work left to right and then up to down. Generally two 2 pattern passes will suffice. 105 flashes at a fast rate and may need to be done a second time depending on your outcome.

8. Move your tool on speed 5 in your 2ft by 2ft area at a pace of 10sec a pass. work this in a cross hatch pattern. Until your polish flashes. This occurs when your ploish appears to be gone. As in the paint shows though the polish as if it were not there any more. Wipe and inspect. If you need more hit it again. I used about 4 passes and inspect. Passes are different depending on the damage in the area you are working. Do not work the ploish past the point of flash. Read above at 7.

9. Adding more polish to your pad. Use 3 pea sized drops.

10. Once the car is done with the m105 switch to the white pad with m205. M205 cleans up the damage caused by the m105. Repeat the above steps. Once you get up to 205, the White Pad should be good enough. Again, using the same method as listed in 7, you can polish out your paint.

11. Once your happy with the results which you will be. Take the car outside and look for swirl marks in the sun. If there are any work the area with m205 until there gone. If you take it out into the sun and you think you see a sort of "micro haze" on the paint, that is called micro marring. Its common with 205, as 205 is still considered an aggressive polish and will leave micro marring. Most people wont notice it, but people with good enough eyes can.

12 At this point, this is as good as the paints getting. If you still have scratches wet sanding is needed. For a driver car I would'nt waste the money. This sould be handled by a pro. You only need to wet sand a scratch if it catches on your finger nail. There are stronger products out there if you have deeper scratches that would be used to buff them up.

13. Wax the car, Or use a sealant for the longest protection. I used meguires nxt wax. In the future I will use a meguires mirror glaze line wax. Really Just use a good wax. Waxing is really only beneficial if your going to a car show. Waxes will help deepen the paints looks, but do not last very long. Also, most waxes do a little bit of filling to some extent. Getting a sealant, like Blackfire, Wolfgangs, HD Poxy or Jet Seal will last longer and help lock in the gloss you have achieved through buffing.

Things to note:
m105 gets dusty, if it does sprits the area with detail spray.
This will take you a LONG time so be ready to take many hours if not days to do.
work 2ft by 2ft areas at a time. rome was'nt built in a day Take your time!
You MUST clean your pads right after using. Don't wait you will not only trash the pad, if you go to use it again it will be a dusty mess.
TAKE CARE OF YOUR PAINT! I can not say this enough.

If you follow these steps you will greatly improve your paint. You can do this at home in a garage. Just give it a shot. A pc 7424xp is the safest polisher out there. You CAN not hurt your paint. Very wrong. Even with a DA, you can still damage paint.

Watch these video's. This is how I learned to do this. I have met the Junkman myself awesome man full of good knowledge. Do what he says and you will have nice paint. Junkman is a great basic detailer.
The Junkman - YouTube

I did this car personally with the tools I mentioned above. I did it, So can you!

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Answers in red below
Great comments and advice-

My opinion on buffers is that Griots is good but I also like Flex as well as the Rupes Bigfoot. As far as sealants and other products I'd throw Ammo in there. A little more than comparable Chem guys and Pinnacle but Ammo is outstanding and lasts a long time. The other product I'd use as a quicker and effective substitute to clay is a speedy surface prep towel.

T0RCH3D

Established Member
I would also recommend using an IPA after polishing with 205, not only will this give you a clean surface for whatever LSP you choose but it will make looking for the micro-marring mentioned earlier much easier. Other than that, nice work taking the time to do the write up.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
This.

Everyone thinks they are a detailer until they **** up their paint or someone elses. I have spent many days working on cars that people have tried to buff themselves only to make matters worse.

I saw your results in your other thread and they are very impressive. But even pros have to start somewhere my friend.

07COBRAVENOM

R.I.P. Hissssss
Established Member
I saw your results in your other thread and they are very impressive. But even pros have to start somewhere my friend.

True, however 105 is a very aggressive compound to be starting with. I personally don't like it but some people do.
I would suggest starting with the 205 and the white pad or a orange pad then a white pad with 205. I use heavy cutting compounds only when I have to wetsand scratches out.

I am just bitter because I have had some customers of mine watch me then suddenly think they can do it. Ever seen those cars driving down the road where their paint looks like a 3D puzzle? Those are not fun to fix lol

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
True, however 105 is a very aggressive compound to be starting with. I personally don't like it but some people do.

I am just bitter because I have had some customers of mine watch me then suddenly think they can do it. Ever seen those cars driving down the road where their paint looks like a 3D puzzle? Those are not fun to fix lol

I agree 1000% - (I don't like 105 either btw) and yes it can be a pain in the ass to fix others mistakes. But on the other hand it's good for business for those who know what they are doing. Plus there is a LOT of satisfaction in fixing paint that many think unfixable.

07COBRAVENOM

R.I.P. Hissssss
Established Member
I agree 1000% - (I don't like 105 either btw) and yes it can be a pain in the ass to fix others mistakes. But on the other hand it's good for business for those who know what they are doing. Plus there is a LOT of satisfaction in fixing paint that many think unfixable.

Oh ya. I'm doing a 99 Cobra vert tomorrow that has severe oxidization and clear coat failure. He was qouted for a repaint due to how bad the paint is. I am going to attempt to save it for him.

03sm3341

Established Member

Answers in red below

Hey I said basics, What I wrote works there's mutiple pictures to prove it works. The black paint does look good dosen't it? :shrug:
What I wrote along with the link I provided was intended for the beginner.

Any how with the text above (mine the novice and the pro who chimed in) you can have good results.

Last edited:

03sm3341

Established Member
And just so everyone knows. A porter cable 7424xp is NOT a da or dual action polisher. It is a oscillating polisher only. It is rated in OPM's only. This is one of the reasons its know to be a safe tool for beginners. A example of a DA type polisher would be a flex. This unit not only has a rotational drive but also a oscillating drive. It does two actions at once thus the DA name. This type of polisher is best left alone if your starting out. It has the ability to harm paint if used wrong.

Note bullet number 2 in the specs sheet on the PC (opm)
Porter Cable Product Details for 6" Variable-Speed Random Orbit Polisher - Model # 7424XP

This is flex info, note it's rated in OPM's and RPM's
http://www.flex-tools.com/gb/Produkte/Polierer/index.php?start=5&num=5

XC 3401 VRG Order no.

Positive-drive orbital polisher
Max. polishing pad diameter 160 mm
Velcro backing pad Ø 140 mm
No load speed 160-480 rpm
Orbit 8 mm
Orbit rate, no load 3200-9600 opm
Power input 900 watt
Power output 590 watt
Weight 2,6 kg

Last edited:

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Nice work, if you damage your paint with a DA like a PC, you probably shouldn't be driving your car either, you're probably putting too many lives at risk.

Users who are viewing this thread