The Americade fiasco on I-87

Status
Not open for further replies.

myburm

Whatever...
Established Member
I've heard that LEOs are targeting bikers during the busiest biking season of the year. While I can understand "safety inspections", I question the other infractions I'm hearing about. Are they really giving tickets for non-stock exhausts even if they are not loud? Also, are LEOs also hitting back roads and forcing bikes there to get on the Northway to get inspected? I hope not, as I don't see that being legal... Can anyone clarify for me?

Also, how many of the LEOs at the checkpoint have actual riding experience and know a clutch lever from a cush drive?

I'm a gear nut, and understand enforcing DOT helmets, but some of the stuff I'm hearing is ridiculous...

STG

Banned
Since when are bikers exempt from DOT, EPA and state regulations? If you're going to target bikers, what better time than biker season?

There's nothing sadder than a dentist with tats riding a Harley-Davidson on a poker run doing all of 32 MPH on the Beartooth Highway clogging traffic while pretending to be a bad-ass biker with 65 HP at 150 db. (Beartooth pass is over 10,000 ft., so that 65 HP is closer to 40.)

I believe anyone on a Harley with less HP than db should be arrested.

I'll bet the cops wind up with a bunch of arrests for serious offenses after stopping some bikers for equipment violations.

Last edited:

myburm

Whatever...
Established Member
My concern is that people will be ticketed for BS infractions. If they aren't legal, fine...by all means sick 'em. But I'm hearing tales that non-stock=ticket. That's like telling you that you can't modify your Mustang because it's not a stock part. I've heard high performance cars that are louder than most Harleys on the road. Oh, and Harleys are not the only bikes at this thing...sportbike riders (a lot of them my friends) are attending this as well. People have a really negative opinion of riders in general and especially Harleys because of movies, commercials, ect. that cast them in a negative light. I ride sportbikes, not cruisers. I have nothing against them, I just don't prefer to ride them. The very people that are being stereotyped probably make over 100K a year. They may not look like much, but these guys are IT gurus, lawyers, judges, telecom techs, lucrative business owners, ect.. Those Harleys aren't for pizza delivery guys ( not disrespecting, I was one) financially. Those who don't ride are clueless as to the expense involved in owning one. Sportbikes are a different story. Flip-flop spandex short wearing kids who do wheelies on public streets give those of us who are responsible riders a bad rep.. I have two such idiots living on my street. We live by the phrase "all gear, all the time" and ride responsibly, yet still get stereotyped by the motorcycle challenged. If you see a rider wearing full gear, (full-face DOT helmet, kevlar jacket, pants boots and gloves) he is probably one of the ones who saves racing for the track and he deserves some level of respect. Don't lump us all into one category and make ASSumptions about us, that's not right.

Ignorance is bliss...

STG

Banned
My concern is that people will be ticketed for BS infractions. If they aren't legal, fine...by all means sick 'em. But I'm hearing tales that non-stock=ticket. That's like telling you that you can't modify your Mustang because it's not a stock part. I've heard high performance cars that are louder than most Harleys on the road. Oh, and Harleys are not the only bikes at this thing...sportbike riders (a lot of them my friends) are attending this as well. People have a really negative opinion of riders in general and especially Harleys because of movies, commercials, ect. that cast them in a negative light. I ride sportbikes, not cruisers. I have nothing against them, I just don't prefer to ride them. The very people that are being stereotyped probably make over 100K a year. They may not look like much, but these guys are IT gurus, lawyers, judges, telecom techs, lucrative business owners, ect.. Those Harleys aren't for pizza delivery guys ( not disrespecting, I was one) financially. Those who don't ride are clueless as to the expense involved in owning one. Sportbikes are a different story. Flip-flop spandex short wearing kids who do wheelies on public streets give those of us who are responsible riders a bad rep.. I have two such idiots living on my street. We live by the phrase "all gear, all the time" and ride responsibly, yet still get stereotyped by the motorcycle challenged. If you see a rider wearing full gear, (full-face DOT helmet, kevlar jacket, pants boots and gloves) he is probably one of the ones who saves racing for the track and he deserves some level of respect. Don't lump us all into one category and make ASSumptions about us, that's not right.

Ignorance is bliss...

I've got news for you. Modifying the exhaust on a car or bike can be a Federal and/or state violation.

Sorry, but bikers are fair game for law enforcement just like anybody else.

(That biker lump comprises at least 96.4% of all bikers on the road. IT gurus, lawyers, judges, and lucrative business owners may be able to afford a Harley, but that doesn't make them bikers or motorcyclists. They are hazards of the road.)

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
There are no B.S. infractions... If it's on the books, It's legit!

When would you rather bike enforcement occur?? How about if they push it back to December and Janurary?

A car/bike on the road is a privlidge, not a right!

myburm

Whatever...
Established Member
How about putting mechanics at the stops to INSURE that the bikes are/are not compliant? Aftermarket parts are not necessarily illegal. Do you go back to the dealer for every single thing on your vehicle, or do you get some things at Advance or Autozone? Are those brakes and calipers they sell illegal? I don't think so. How about the exhaust? Do you go to a dealer or Midas? Besides, if you want to enforce safety, you do it all year long, not just when you can generate the most revenue. NY is well known for that. Why not pull in BMWs and Mercedes to make sure they are compliant? We have Motor vehilce inspections EVERY YEAR before we can get our registration renewed. Bikes are included in that. The only people they are getting are out-of-towners whose local ordinances are different, and people who haven't made repairs since their last renewal.

Whether or not driving is a right or a privelege is not even in question. I pay taxes just like everyone else on here. My issue is the methods by which law enforcement is giving out these citations. I also questioned whether or not the rumors were true.

You don't ride, do you?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
How about putting mechanics at the stops to INSURE that the bikes are/are not compliant? Aftermarket parts are not necessarily illegal. Do you go back to the dealer for every single thing on your vehicle, or do you get some things at Advance or Autozone? Are those brakes and calipers they sell illegal? I don't think so. How about the exhaust? Do you go to a dealer or Midas? Besides, if you want to enforce safety, you do it all year long, not just when you can generate the most revenue. NY is well known for that. Why not pull in BMWs and Mercedes to make sure they are compliant? We have Motor vehilce inspections EVERY YEAR before we can get our registration renewed. Bikes are included in that. The only people they are getting are out-of-towners whose local ordinances are different, and people who haven't made repairs since their last renewal.

Whether or not driving is a right or a privelege is not even in question. I pay taxes just like everyone else on here. My issue is the methods by which law enforcement is giving out these citations. I also questioned whether or not the rumors were true.

You don't ride, do you?

I have an idea... How about you quit listening to the "stories" "rumors" and "innuendo" and go down to the local PD and ask them? Stories you hear 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 100teenth are embellished to make them sound better, or the storyteller just got their facts wrong.

are you saying that people who are under a repair order but haven't done it are being unfairly picked on? that is what it sounds like.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I travel down the I-87 from its northern most point down to NYC at least once a month between spring and fall (round trip).
I cannot recall seeing any kind of bike pulled over other than the odd sport bike.

I on the other hand have receicved 2 speeding tickets in the last 2 years in your neck of the woods driving the Mustang.

myburm

Whatever...
Established Member
It was announced in all the papers here that 17 checkpoints would be in place for this week just for motorcycles. No, I am not saying people under a repair order are being picked on. If they already had an order, it should be fixed. I was ASKING a question to confirm or disprove what I heard regarding these stops. There has to be a few local LEOs on this board... I just think it's bogus to set out-of-towners up for a ticket for something that might be perfectly legal where they live. Yeah, I know the next response is going to be "well, they should check before they leave as to what the laws are there"...I highly doubt anyone on here goes through every traffic law of every state they are traveling through on vacation.
The number of bikes on the road is going to increase with fuel cost. Unfortunately, most of the new riders probably won't take an MSF class, and Darwin is going to have a field day. You can't keep up with all of them all the time. Natural selection will take care of those.

(Knock on wood) I drove for a living for 18 years and I never had any moving violation...I figure I might get over that up here in da north...lol

Last edited:

STG

Banned
It was announced in all the papers here that 17 checkpoints would be in place for this week just for motorcycles. No, I am not saying people under a repair order are being picked on. If they already had an order, it should be fixed. I was ASKING a question to confirm or disprove what I heard regarding these stops. There has to be a few local LEOs on this board... I just think it's bogus to set out-of-towners up for a ticket for something that might be perfectly legal where they live. Yeah, I know the next response is going to be "well, they should check before they leave as to what the laws are there"...I highly doubt anyone on here goes through every traffic law of every state they are traveling through on vacation.
The number of bikes on the road is going to increase with fuel cost. Unfortunately, most of the new riders probably won't take an MSF class, and Darwin is going to have a field day. You can't keep up with all of them all the time. Natural selection will take care of those.

(Knock on wood) I drove for a living for 18 years and I never had any moving violation...I figure I might get over that up here in da north...lol

Too bad you couldn't be in Cody, Wyoming during the last Hells Angels World Run. About 400 uniformed officers from four states plus U.S., Canadian and European feds, plus the National Guard and the Air National Guard. It was a bad week to commit ANY violation of the vehicle or criminal code.

Ever been pulled over by a Blackhawk?

Last edited:

myburm

Whatever...
Established Member
I've heard about that!! That's gotta be and interesting traffic stop for people... I think I'd have a heart attack, getting "pulled over" by a Blackhawk!:lol1:

Why so many different agencies, the reps of the Hells Angels? I've only met two, but they seemed pretty nice. Maybe it's because I'm a woman, I dunno.:shrug: I guess I've just never been exposed to the need for such stops. Coming from the south, it's not very common. They set up extra patrol, but don't single out any specific vehicles (other than DOT truck weigh stations, and I've been through quite a lot of those!). The only place I know of that does watch for bikes is in Deal's Gap, and that's because of so many wrecks in the turns from inexperienced (and really young) riders going WAY too fast for their experience level (and the fact it's a 30mph FEDERAL road). A few people have been injured and killed there already this year. Honestly, I think someone ought to make track days less expensive so these guys can rip and roar the legal way and keep that crap off the street...makes the rest of us look bad.:poke:

Question...You're a photographer??? Cool...

Last edited:

STG

Banned
I've heard about that!! That's gotta be and interesting traffic stop for people... I think I'd have a heart attack, getting "pulled over" by a Blackhawk!:lol1:

Why so many different agencies, the reps of the Hells Angels? I've only met two, but they seemed pretty nice. Maybe it's because I'm a woman, I dunno.:shrug: I guess I've just never been exposed to the need for such stops. Coming from the south, it's not very common. They set up extra patrol, but don't single out any specific vehicles (other than DOT truck weigh stations, and I've been through quite a lot of those!). The only place I know of that does watch for bikes is in Deal's Gap, and that's because of so many wrecks in the turns from inexperienced (and really young) riders going WAY too fast for their experience level (and the fact it's a 30mph FEDERAL road). A few people have been injured and killed there already this year. Honestly, I think someone ought to make track days less expensive so these guys can rip and roar the legal way and keep that crap off the street...makes the rest of us look bad.:poke:

Google "Hells Angels convictions" and tell me what you find.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Don't know or care much about Harley's, but I am getting sick of the noise.
The last thing I need to hear are those damned Harley's with straight pipes blatting down the highway at earsplitting decibel levels.

And don't give me that "loud pipes save lives" crap. It's noise pollution plain and simple.
If my car was even half as loud as some of those bikes, it would be ticketed and towed.
It's about time they start cracking down.

myburm

Whatever...
Established Member
I'm not big on Harleys at all...at least not the loud ones that sound like they're chugging on the one last piston. We have a neighbor that leaves for work at 6am on his hog...who needs an alarm clock with him around?:bored::cuss:

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
The other thing is in SoCal seem to ALWAYS nail the throttle when going past a restaurant or other outdoor establishment/gathering, thus deafening the patrons.

It's really stupid, and most of these bikes sound like ass anyway.

However on the flip side, what's to stop people's tolerances for what we consider a tasteful exhaust as being "too loud" and next all autos have road going taskforces ticketing them too?

Time to buy an island.

STG

Banned
:eek: Good Lord!! Those guys are definitely the exception to the rules I learned...I guess they must have scared poor Darwin himself!

They probably were not exceptions. The club has an extremely well developed public facade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread