Thanks to all the cool cops out there

NJCOBRA10thA

Really thats my last mod.
Established Member
You guys always get a bad rap and far to often there is a teenager saying "I don't know why I was pulled over ... and cop had such an attitude."

I am not a LEO, but I have many friends that are and my brother is as well.

I always treat the LEO with a ton of respect and have gotten more than my fair share of breaks in my life. Recently I was a passenger in a friends M5 that was pulled over and given a big break.

Some states are harsh - I hear Florida will even ticket local LEO's that are off duty, but NJ has some very decent officers.

I don't like to speed around town, you never know what might jump out a dog, a kid after a ball....

I do have a question for LEO's only:

a year or so ago I was pulled over. I think he had every right to pull me over, and he let me go, but curious about what could have happened.

I was going in very early to work it was about 4:40 AM and I just got on the highway. I nailed it on the on ramp from about 15 MPH all the way to 60 the posted limit and let off. A second later an officer pulled me over.

Now my car must have been screaming and I must have looked like I was trying to make a quick get away from a bank robbery or something but I never exceeded the speed limit, never squeeled tires, never did an unsafe lane change or anything, could that have resulted in a ticket? (other than my lack of front license plate which he couldn't have seen until he came to my window)

Keep in mind I didn't let off because I saw the LEO, I intended to let off at 60 as my exit was coming up soon.

Just curious.

Thanks

Dan - NJ

kcast

LEO
Established Member
it all depends on your state laws in NJ

it also depends on the conditions that morning, rain, fog, wet roads etc, if it appeared as thought you were exhibiting careless exceleration, if NJ has a loud muffler law.

if i was behind you and the road conditions were PERFECT (daylight, no traffic, bone dry) i probably would've just pulled up beside you to scare ya'

jimljr145

Jimljr145
Established Member
As a LEO from NJ, there are a couple statutes that come to mind, one being careless driving. Now that being said, there could have been other factors that you have no knowledge of, such as the armed robbery that just took place a few blocks away, or any other situation that officers may be looking for a car rapidly accelerating onto the highway. There could have also been the citizen complaint about the speeding Mustang (Or other car) and you just happen to be in the same area. Without divulging too many insider secrets, there could have been numerous reasons to stop the rapidly accelrating vehicle, SVT or not.... Be aware of your surroundings...

ford5.0forlife

Dead Stop
Established Member
Checking in as a recovering speeder from Connecticut; LEO's call that "exhibition driving" here. I have always thought about that too. But mustangs are loud anyway, and I am in constant fear of a cop even hearing my new setup, let alone see me ripping through a gear or two.

Nothing but respect for officers, I have had WAAAY MORE than my fair share of breaks. As long as you give respect, and make the stop as painless as possible. (I.E. shut car off, keep hands visible, have paperwork readily accessible, keep it curteous, and if your speeding just admit it because he already got you) :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread