Thanks Ret!!! (greg)(pprv Delete)

2003 CobraSVT

Established Member
Brought my cobra to Greg at RET to delete the PPRV, and now I finally got rid of that awful hesition between hard shifting.

Just wanted to say thanks and good work... at a fair price!

Jesse

Last edited:

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
Your lucky he didn't burn up your alternator hahaha! Autozone Duralast FTMFL! LOL! Anyway glad it worked out for ya. My final numbers getting out of there were 472RWHP and 464TQ with a ton of upper RPM belt slip. I need to fix that slip and go get a follow up pull. Hoping for 500...

Lee

2003 CobraSVT

Established Member
Glad you didnt have to sleep in the RET parking lot that night! LOL. So I take it the battery was fine. Good luck with the belt slip....how do you plan on fixing that anyhow... you already have idlers?

Jesse

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
I didn't get out of there till 5 and then got to hit rush hour traffic back to Riverside. The batt was just fine, only a crap-o-matic autozone alternator. Once I get my new alt pulley from Lethal that will tighten up the belt some. Also my Metco lower bracket has another hole I can use for the lower idler that will buy me even more tightness. As it stands my tensioner is way to close to the released position stop.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
I hit Greg up today with 462/460 on a conservative tune with just a filter pulley and exhaust.

SVTBMG

Banned
Your lucky he didn't burn up your alternator hahaha! Autozone Duralast FTMFL! LOL! Anyway glad it worked out for ya. My final numbers getting out of there were 472RWHP and 464TQ with a ton of upper RPM belt slip. I need to fix that slip and go get a follow up pull. Hoping for 500...

Lee

How many Autozone Alt have you gone through? I am on my second one in 4 months and that is with an oversized pulley.

Also I have been meaning to get my PPRV delted. I hate this insane hesitation.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
How many Autozone Alt have you gone through? I am on my second one in 4 months and that is with an oversized pulley.

Also I have been meaning to get my PPRV delted. I hate this insane hesitation.

Just one in this car. But i had installed it the night before. Prior to my Cobra I had a DSM and had one Autozone alt literally burn up in 10 minutes! I don't know what 3rd world country they get there rebuild parts from but I will never ever buy another one. This last one failed and the battery light didn't even come on to give a heads up. It would have left me stranded somewhere had I not been at RET.

SVTBMG

Banned
Just one in this car. But i had installed it the night before. Prior to my Cobra I had a DSM and had one Autozone alt literally burn up in 10 minutes! I don't know what 3rd world country they get there rebuild parts from but I will never ever buy another one. This last one failed and the battery light didn't even come on to give a heads up. It would have left me stranded somewhere had I not been at RET.

That is unreal. I made them test mine before I left with it. What one is the best to go with so this does not happen? I have been thinking about spending the money on a new one from the dealer. they are way pricey though. I also put in a Optima Red top that got me home on a 25min drive home with the battery light on the entire time. If you dont have one I say get one.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
That is unreal. I made them test mine before I left with it. What one is the best to go with so this does not happen? I have been thinking about spending the money on a new one from the dealer. they are way pricey though. I also put in a Optima Red top that got me home on a 25min drive home with the battery light on the entire time. If you dont have one I say get one.

That's the thing. They work right out of the box. So even if they test it for you it will work and you will go off on your merry way grinning ear to ear with certain doom in your hands. You may get lucky and have a good one that lasts many years. But I will never trust another one ever again! We ended up getting a stock unit brand new from the local dealer. Call Steve at Tously and I'm sure you won't pay much more than $200.00 for one. I paid that much for the crappy Autozone rebuild. Another option is to find a local rebuilder you can trust that uses quality parts.

SVTBMG

Banned
That's the thing. They work right out of the box. So even if they test it for you it will work and you will go off on your merry way grinning ear to ear with certain doom in your hands. You may get lucky and have a good one that lasts many years. But I will never trust another one ever again! We ended up getting a stock unit brand new from the local dealer. Call Steve at Tously and I'm sure you won't pay much more than $200.00 for one. I paid that much for the crappy Autozone rebuild. Another option is to find a local rebuilder you can trust that uses quality parts.

I will do that thanks for the tip. I thought I would change back to a stocker but I did not have an in at any dealer anymore. So they quoted me well over 330.00.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Prior to my Cobra I had a DSM and had one Autozone alt literally burn up in 10 minutes! I don't know what 3rd world country they get there rebuild parts from but I will never ever buy another one.

you have no idea dude.

I am also a ex-dsmer (actually, still looking for another 1g awd). Alternators in those cars suck ass, especially reman autozone ones. i was on my 5th on my 97 GST Spyder, my best reman lasted a month or two before failing at the track, two hours away. had to tow it home, a 250$ tow bill. after that, i got the next freebie (lifetime warranty thank god) and bought a secondary just in case, seeing i was so adept at swapping them within 10 minutes, i had all the tools needed to do a roadside swap if need be.

i would go OEM or a rewound alternator (higher output) before going with a reman. however i did go Reman on my 02 GT a month after buying it and never again had issues for the 2 years of subsequent ownership. i would say remans for fords might be of higher quality than remans for mitsu, but seeing we are comparing two bottom-barrel companies in terms of quality, i dont see why one would be remanufactured any better than the other.

Users who are viewing this thread