Thanks for the help with restoring my wheels

harleyreb1

Established Member
we painted them yesterday and they turned out great!
MVC-003S.jpg

harleyreb1

Established Member
How I did it.

I started by sandblasting them, I tired walnut shells but they just wouldn't take the factory coating off so I just used sand very carefully!!! Next I sanded them with 400 and then 800 I sprayed primer sanded that and then another coat of primer. Sanded that with 800 then came the color and clear. I used UTECH clear and I can't remember the paint name but I got the color code from here(it was PPG code and they converted it). Alot of work but they look better than the factory! I going to wait two weeks to let the clear harden and then mount the tires.

johnh

Established Member
harleyreb1 said:
I started by sandblasting them, I tired walnut shells but they just wouldn't take the factory coating off so I just used sand very carefully!!! Next I sanded them with 400 and then 800 I sprayed primer sanded that and then another coat of primer. Sanded that with 800 then came the color and clear. I used UTECH clear and I can't remember the paint name but I got the color code from here(it was PPG code and they converted it). Alot of work but they look better than the factory! I going to wait two weeks to let the clear harden and then mount the tires.

very cool. I was going to use paint stripper though...

harleyreb1

Established Member
Itried a little of the paint

stripper and it just didn't seem to work very well. Was kinda slow, but the stripper I was using was the most powerful stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread