Thank god my car doesn't have crumple zones!

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
They really just do not make them like the used to!
I left home at 3 am yesterday with my sister, she had just gotten up and i was tired so I let her drive while I just relaxed. Anyways, we're about an hour or so from home and we're on this sort of a highway type thing - it curves and then there's a stoplight - we're doing highway speed, she comes around the corner, and realizes the light is red. She gets on the brakes, doesn't quite lock up, but the car begins to slide. She's never been in an accident before and hasn't practiced this sort of thing - she takes the wheel back to center, still on the brakes, and doesn't counter steer - we're sideways at maybe 60 km/h (35-40mph) and we hit at about that speed. We do a 90 degree rotation, bounce off the no post divider, and do another 90 degree rotation. After asking her if she's okay and making sure I'm okay, (I braced for impact) automatically I'm thinking shit, no collision on this car(not worth that much) etc etc... I'm screwed I'll be driving a sedan with folded fenders until I can afford something else. And that's not for a few months yet. :kaboom:
I get out, another guy has gotten out of his cavalier and asks us if we're okay, we're fine, he sort of sits around for a minute and says "you got lucky you didn't do any damage"
i'm like "uhhhhh" So I walk to the front of the car as well as my sister... And sure enough - it's clean! :rockon: :shrug:
I managed to hit the little rubber bumperette - and while it was skewed slightly, the front was fine - the odds of her hitting the bumperette and not the chrome are, statistically, highly unlikely - I was stunned! We got the car turned back around and we were on our way. Whole thing was less than 5 minutes.
It was interesting because I was planning on actually taking off the rubber bumperettes a few weeks ago just for aesthetic purposes! They saved my sister! (and my car)
I was thinking about it and cars these days are made to take impacts - they're made to crumple to absorb the impact, the big plastic bumpers are meant to dissipate the impact throughout the entire car, but these old cars, aren't. If I had been driving something newer I'd be looking at a huge bill. Or if I had been driving a mustang of the same vintage with the plastic nose.
Coming back from our daytrip this afternoon we stopped at the same light going the other way and looked over - and you can see the bumperette hit twice, once initially and then a second time as we spun again.
Has anyone else had a similar situation where they got lucky? Or where they just bounced off a wall or a no post divider in an older car?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
I wasn't that lucky with the Audi. Some schlub rear ended my wife in an old F-150 doing 45 MPH.

His truck was caved in up front and had to get towed. My wife drove the Audi home. The bumper was pushed in 1 inch on the D/S. A chain, a tree, and some roof tar fixed that problem real quick. Gotta love the 40 MPH bumper. :D

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
A sample pic of the TANK:

4k.jpg

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Vancouver83LTD said:
wow, something uglier than an LTD....
lol

It was a good lookin' car for its day. The best part about the car is that it was a true rally vehicle. The quattro is the same car.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
SickBlackMach said:
LOL, I had one that looked like it.. an 1981 Audi 4000e... 4 cyl's of "omg, I'm not gonna make it up this hill" fury! LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotta love the torque from the 88 HP 1.6 Miser motor.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
05 Roush said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotta love the torque from the 88 HP 1.6 Miser motor.
Wow, that sucks, I believe mine was the 1.4 powerhouse... it sucked having to manually downshift the automatic going up a hill everyday on the way to school :D

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
SickBlackMach said:
Wow, that sucks, I believe mine was the 1.4 powerhouse... it sucked having to manually downshift the automatic going up a hill everyday on the way to school :D

Yours was the 1.6. That was the smallest motor they made. I could still outrun my brother's POS Scooby Doo wagon with the spare tire mounted on top of the engine though.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
The one thing that truly amazed me about the Scooby Doo was that it had this speedometer:

lewis85RXodom.jpg

My brother and I floored it down a 7% grade one time. I think it actually hit 88 MPH.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
haha my sister had a scoob wagon
the interior was pretty much gutted (piece of crap falling apart, not by choice) and it was actually pretty good in the snow
she moved up to an 89' jetta....

Users who are viewing this thread