TH400 Swap: Oil Cooler Selection Help

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
Hey guys,

I've bought almost every part needed to do the TH400 swap except the oil cooler kit. I am afraid of getting one too big that won't fit behind the bumper and afraid of getting one too small that won't effectively cool the oil. I've read SEVERAL threads on the install but have yet to see any part numbers provided for the oil cooler or dimensions.

Here are the 4 I found on Summit; all with different dimensions.

If you have installed one of these with no issues and it's effectively cooling your tranny oil, please let me know!

B&M Hi-Tek SuperCooler w/ Fan, 13.5"x9"x3.5", 1/2" NPT Fittings, 9.5" Fan

B&M Hi-Tek SuperCooler w/ Fan, 10"x7.5"x4", 1/2" NPT Fittings, 7" Fan

Derale Hyper-Cool w/ Fan, 10"x11"x3", -8AN Fittings, 8" Fan

Derale Hyper-Cool w/ Fan, 10"x13"x5.25", -6AN Fittings, 8" Fan

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
I got the B&M everyone always buys for their Cobra (cant remember the dinmensions) and mounted it here:

2011-05-28_15-57-59_46.jpg

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
Exactly, I see installs like that and it looks great but nobody posts part numbers!!! Lol, there are 2 B&M ones and need confirmation as to which one can be installed with no fitment issues.

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
Do a search, everyone uses the same one.

Trying my best to not be rude... I started this thread because I cannot find this "same one" you speak of. Should I even have to say that? Did you not read my post? I listed 2 of the most popular "ones" people use but each have 2 different sizes... So which one?

Sorry if I wasn't clear on my original post :bored:

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member

killspray

The Killstroyer
Established Member
i'll tell you exactly what I did and it has been flawless...
I bought a tru cool trans cooler that fits right in the grill opening in front of the core support. Its the size on a mini heat exchanger and has been PERFECT!

Severe Duty Cooler Protection Kit Auto Trans Tru Cool | eBay

Awesome, so I see it comes with everything needed for install... But it looks like you are rocking a TVS... I'm turbocharged and have an intercooler there... Unless there's room for both :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread